Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my engine trashed?! First post...bought a 2011 1.4 turbo Cruze that wasn’t running. Owner said turbo was bad, and random misfire code. So I took a chance on it. Turbo was already off and cracked so I replaced it with a new one along with all new oil and coolant lines. Idled for ten minutes, and then when I went to rode test it started burning a crazy amount of oil through exhaust. Did a compression test per service manual, cylinder 2 is at 90psi, the rest 160. Put a little shot of oil in cyl 2 and compression jumps to 160. Also there is oil in intercooler line, from the turbo all the way into throttle body, and plugs are black with oil. Valve cover is new, the intake manifold check valve is there, and check valve by turbo is new.
Am I getting blow by from worm rings or piston creating pressure in crankcase?
Is my brand new turbo junk because it couldn’t drain with so much pressure in crankcase?
I’m about to swap with a used engine if no one has any ideas! I do not have a leak down test. Thanks

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Plugs go black with gas from running rich. Oil turns them grey.
Oil in cylinder raises compression. Indicating worn piston rings.
Blowby from worn rings creates pressure in crankcase. And smoke out of that cover that sits on top of the engine. You all have different names for that. :) Loosen the oil cap and you should see smoke coming out. Or take off the pcv hose if that's possible.

90 lbs compression in #2 is basically dead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if anyone cares, the engine was definitely creating blowby from low compression, sending a huge amount of oil out exhaust. I found a running engine for $250 with 100,000 miles on it, cleaned it up, put my new turbo one, and “threw” it in there and all is well now with the swapped engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts