Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
I just checked back on the dealers website that I bought the first car from and they re posted the one with the cracked engine block. I can't believe this!!! VIN #: 1G1PF5SC8C7287481 They have it listed for the same price. This should not be allowed!!!!
If it has a brand new engine with 0 miles on the engine, why not?

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Would YOU want to spend THOUSANDS on a car that had a new engine put in by the dealer and being sold at the same price as if it just rolled off the factory line? AND..........MOST LIKELY not being told that it has a new engine!

MAYBE this would be allowed in Chicago where it seems anything goes, but most likely not in any other state!
If they're selling it as brand new, then obviously there's a problem. I would be pretty mad with them as well.

I hope you do not have the problems that I have had. At 15K miles the timing chain gasket failed- three weeks to complete the repair. At 21.5K miles the crank seal failed. The oil that leaked caused the serpentine belt to come off. All of this at 70 MPH on the freeway. No oil and no water moving in the engine. By the time I stopped the engine was popping and snapping it was so hot. The dealer made the repairs without telling me what had happened and now GM service states "if the engine is running there was no damage done". GM will not help and the dealer will not go to bat for me- most likely my last GM product.
Did you at any point during this process contact GM to have them put in a case for you?

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
So basically your drive belt popped off? Repairs were covered under warranty free of charge and you have 78,500 of cost free service left. I'm not going to stand in a corner and defend this dealer, but if you feel you have been malnourished by this dealership contact GM! IMO everything is squared away. The only thing I would be stressing out about is what initially caused the gasket/seal failure. Jumping ship on GM after they take care of you, and then cutting a check for a brand new Toyota, Only to find out after your first inevitable service appointment, that the grass really isn't greener on the other side...

Good luck sir
My thoughts exactly.

There are a few people who had a problem or two with their Cruze and went to try to trade it in, only to find that every car they test drove in this segment was inferior and they ended up working to get their Cruze fixed.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Honestly, you sound like all the other "experienced automotive techs" I worked with in oil change/tire shops over a 5-6 year period during high school and college.

A couple points:

1. An engine that has been run low on oil is not necessarily damaged beyond repair. If you were truly "experienced" you would have also seen the MILLIONS of vehicles on the road today with upwards of 100-200 THOUSAND miles on the clock whose owners truly do not care about automotive maintenance and run them low on oil for months at a time before getting the oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube and repeating the process.

2. If you negligently "don't notice" the oil puddle under your car and keep driving until the engine completely runs out of oil and grenades itself on the freeway, you would be extremely naive to think the dealership service department is going to blindly assume it just happened overnight and happily replace your engine at no charge. Contrary to what you say, the CAN and WILL deny your warranty coverage if you are negligent in maintaining your vehicle. At best, you would probably end up splitting the cost of the engine.

People like you are the reason the rest of us have so much trouble with dealerships when we need to legitimately cash in on our warranty when things go wrong.
Agreed.

You'll have seen the "low oil" light on your dash for quite a while. At that point the dealer will ask you why you didn't do anything when you saw the light come on.

1 - 5 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.