Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brooks:

The facts of life dictate the outcome of your request. The car has a warranty, the warranty is being implemented and fix will be in place. No car swapping you bought it you own it along with any unknown issues suggest you review an extended warranty if your concerns are long term.

HJVJR

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Good deal! ....yeah, sometimes it's kind of a letdown to get all keyed up and wound out for a fight, only none ever happens...then again, with an outcome such as yours, relief does set in nicely!

Enjoy your Cruze!!!!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Alright so I got off work this morning and went to bed. The dealer called me at 10:30a.m. I thought wow that was fast and that it was something easy to fix. Boy was I wrong!!! The service manager told me that I had a crack in the engine block! WHAT!!!!! This car has 30 miles on it!!!! He told me it would be days before a new engine would be installed. I said NO and that I would be at the dealer in 30 minutes! My salesman called me when I was 2 min. away from the dealer. I simply told him that we would talk when I got their. When I stepped into his office I was prepared to go off!!! To my surprise I didn't have to say a word or get mad. I told him their was one other cruze on the lot that was the equivalent to the one I just bought. He went and found the keys and we did the normal test drive (car had 4 miles on it). We came back and parked and he asked if everything was to my liking. I said yes but I want a fine tooth comb ran thru this car before I drive it off the lot. He took it back and had it washed, gassed up and checked out. SO in the end I ended up getting the exact same car no questions asked. I was prepared for the worst. A few of you said to see about a model upgrade but I remembered I chose this one for a reason: it had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. WHAT A DAY! At least I can finally sleep tonight!
1902Brooks,
I completely understand how frustrating this issue was for you. I am very happy to hear that your dealer took care of this for you. Thank you for your feedback. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well so far so good everyone. The car has made it 60 miles now with no blown motor. I really believe that it was a freak accident with the engine manufacturer. It just sucks that it had to be me. I am very happy with the car as of right now.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Sounds to me like this was a stand-up dealership. Glad they got you squared away. Ive heard some little quirks with my car. I went on a 600 mile drive over 4 days in mine this past weekend. Im hoping nothing like this shows up, but if it does. I would request the same thing. Its not a new car just because it has a new engine in it.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Cracked engine block? I'd love to hear how a cast iron block just randomly cracked. Glad to hear you got this sorted out though. Enjoy your new car!
A major casting flaw could have occurred. It was fine to pass the plant inspections, but grenaded once put under more stress than the plant tests did. Even with all the quality controls put in place, somebody is bound to get the 0.01% or whatever tiny percentage of parts that will fail soon after first use. From what I've heard, there 150,000 or more Cruzes on the roads now. That's in barely 2 years of sales. With that many cars, the odds are going to catch up with a few unlucky owners. That's why there are warranties.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good to hear it worked out.
Not at all. I think you have 3 days to return a car depending on the state. I would ask for a new one as well.
Source? On another car board I'm on, there's all sorts of (to me) misinformation about returning new cars and lemon laws. For instance, there's no mandated cooling off/return period for cars in WA and CA.

So, I started a thread asking for people to speak up and point to reputable sources stating otherwise for any state. So far, nobody's come forward. :rolleyes:

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Good to hear it worked out.

Source? On another car board I'm on, there's all sorts of (to me) misinformation about returning new cars and lemon laws. For instance, there's no mandated cooling off/return period for cars in WA and CA.

So, I started a thread asking for people to speak up and point to reputable sources stating otherwise for any state. So far, nobody's come forward. :rolleyes:
queencitypr0 did state "I think..." which indicates an admitted opinion so the source is the OP....but....

for North Carolina Lemon Law particulars, this from the NCDOJ website:

Lemon Law

The North Carolina Lemon Law, also known as the New Motor Vehicles Warranties Act (N.C.G.S. 20-351), applies to new passenger cars, pick-up trucks, motorcycles and most vans bought in North Carolina. It requires manufacturers to repair defects that affect the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Your car may be covered by the Lemon Law if all of the following have happened:
  • The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
  • You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it.
  • The manufacturer makes “a reasonable number of attempts” to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty.
  • The manufacturers’ efforts to fix the lemon fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.
It is a good idea to read your warranty to find out what kind of remedies your manufacturer might offer outside of the Lemon Law.

Your rights under the Lemon Law:
If the manufacturer hasn’t fixed your car after a reasonable number of attempts, you are entitled to choose a comparable new replacement vehicle, or a refund. The law does not spell out what a comparable new replacement vehicle is, though it would most likely be an identical make and model.

If your car is a lemon, you are entitled to a refund of:
  • The full contract price including, but not limited to, charges for undercoating, dealer-preparation and installed options, plus the non-refundable portions of extended warranties and service contracts.
  • All upfront charges, including but not limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees.
  • All finance charges you incurred after you first reported the problem to the manufacturer, or authorized dealer.
  • Any incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for your use of the vehicle.
Under the law, the refund is reduced by a “reasonable allowance” for your use of the vehicle. The following formula is used to calculate the refund:
Refund = Purchase Price - ((Purchase Price x Actual Mileage) /120,000)
What About Disputes?
Many auto manufacturers have dispute resolution programs for customers with warranty problems. Some require you to use these programs before you go to court. Read your warranty for more information. You may also wish to see if the Better Business Bureau's dispute resolution service can help, or consider seeking advice from a private attorney.

We Can Help
If you have a complaint about new car waranties contact us for help or call toll free within North Carolina at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM.

Link/Source: Lemon Law

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 with 22k miles. At 16k the timing chain gasket went- three weeks to fix. At 22k the crankshaft seal went on the freeway at 70+ mph. This caused the serpentine belt to come off- no oil, no water moving. Still 70 MPH in traffic. Got off the road to a motor that had an unusual sound- imagine that. Still waiting to hear how Chevy/dealer will handle this one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm on this board because I had a 2012 lemon Sonata. It had a right pull problem that the dealer couldn't fix. I got a cash settlement and used the money to trade for a Cruze. The lemon law process can be drawn out and frustrating. I would have been thrilled to get a new car without a lot of aggravation.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I have a 2011 with 22k miles. At 16k the timing chain gasket went- three weeks to fix. At 22k the crankshaft seal went on the freeway at 70+ mph. This caused the serpentine belt to come off- no oil, no water moving. Still 70 MPH in traffic. Got off the road to a motor that had an unusual sound- imagine that. Still waiting to hear how Chevy/dealer will handle this one.
steve4836
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Cruze. I understand that this can be frustrating. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage as well as the name of your dealer? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
355 Posts
I have a strong feeling the crank seal is related to the prior work, I have done it on older Ecotecs many times so I know how it goes together.

They treat the dealer techs like total garbage, it's no wonder they don't do a good job. That labor op probably pays 1.9 hours or something. In your wildest dreams I wouldn't scrape your mating surfaces and torque your bolts. They flat raped me for 7 years. I got paid 3.9 hours for a transmission in a new Malibu as one of my last jobs... that's lunch money after taxes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just checked back on the dealers website that I bought the first car from and they re posted the one with the cracked engine block. I can't believe this!!! VIN #: 1G1PF5SC8C7287481 They have it listed for the same price. This should not be allowed!!!!

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
I just checked back on the dealers website that I bought the first car from and they re posted the one with the cracked engine block. I can't believe this!!! VIN #: 1G1PF5SC8C7287481 They have it listed for the same price. This should not be allowed!!!!
If it has a brand new engine with 0 miles on the engine, why not?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If you were looking to buy a new car and you saw this one that had 33 miles on it with a new engine in it wouldn't you question what went wrong with it? They have it listed for the same exact price I paid for it as well. Personally I would not want it.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
On Sunday, when my brother came down from RI with his new 2012 Cruze LT RS that I was dying to drive to compare to my crappy shifting 2011 Cruze LTZ RS, he mentioned that he had to bring in his wife's 2011 Buick Regal because of a timing chain problem. Evidently, when the Regal is first started in the morning, it makes a racket. I believe he said that the timing chain has to be replaced. She only have a few thousand miles on her car. Evidently, the Regal isn't the only car affected?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts

ONE more example why they have the reputation they do!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.