Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been following this site since April of last year when I got my 2012 Cruze Eco MT. I've loved it since, but have had a couple hiccups. Please let me know if the following is normal after getting a transmission replaced at 73.5k miles.

The dealership just replaced my transmission after I took it in for diagnostics. I had the classic "whining" sound in all of the gears, and after ruling out the clutch and gearbox they decided to replace my transmission. I picked it up today after service hours, since I need my car for tomorrow.

• Following entering my car, I noticed my clutch was loose, very very loose. After turning on the car and pumping the clutch for a couple minutes it returned to how it was pre-installation.
  • All of the gears were very stiff, I couldn't even shift into reverse until I let the car warm up for two or three minutes. Eventually all of them loosened up and it shifts better, but it does take some effort to get the car into gear. (Probably about the same as before. I can use one finger to shift from 1-2, 3-4.
  • I started driving it away and noticed a "crackling" sound. It doesn't happen all of the time but i heard it two or three times on a 10 minute drive in the city.
  • After hearing this "crackling" sound i investigated further and took a video. It happened when I turned on/off the car. The video is below, the first/last couple seconds have the sound. It's kind of hard to hear and diagnose over the internet, but figured it would be helpful if I included it.

Can't hyperlink anything until I have three posts, so go to youtube.com/watch?v=xgbBZQ1R3l4

I'm planning on calling the dealership tomorrow to ask more about these issues, but I was planning on letting the car figure itself out for a couple days before I really question what the service techs did. Any insight you guys could give would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Spencer

·
10,712 Posts
Welcome

*Brake fluid is the clutch fluid so they may not have got it situated right. Same happened to me both trans replacement and when they exchanged the brake fluid out.

*Sounds like you had a used car, original owners could have had better fluid in it.

*Is the noise like when you get on and off the gas in the lower rpms? YouTube is blocked on this computer.

*I guess I'll have to actually see/hear the video for this one.

The reason our trans went is for about 3 years of production the manual trans was under filled from the factory. There isn't a dip stick for us to verify this until after we decide we need better fluids and only a quart and a half drains out in the process. Verify the dealership at least gave you 2.25 qt of trans fluid. The OEM fluid takes a bit to break in but it wont be anything like the 2 AMSOIL gear oils we recommend everyone switch to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise is when the clutch is engaged and disengaged. Also when turning on/off the car. I'll be sure to verify the transmission fluid levels and will probably be switching the fluid when I get a chance to at home.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,542 Posts
Could this happen while the car is driving as well? I hear it around the friction point of the clutch and intermittently while sitting in neutral at a stoplight.
Yes, I've had mine rattle at idle and make strange noises when driving. However, mine is VERY intermittent.

From what I could tell from that video, your sound on startup and shutdown is almost identical to the sounds my car makes sometimes. You can hear it in that video as well (window down).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts