Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first snow i have driven this car in, so i was in a turn only lane, so i had to turn but wanted to go straight so i turned, went into a parking lot and i was heading out the other exit to get back on the road i wanted to be on. the parking lot was kind of a steep hill. i was moving only a few MPH and i felt the break pedal beating back up against my foot, repeatedly and i hear this banging, grinding kind of sound, and the car just kept going and i ended up in the street, thank god there were no cars coming.

i start testing the breaks, as soon as the car starts to slide the breaks start going crazy, i got to some dry patch of road and the breaks are fine, i get back in the snowy roads and i kept testing the breaks when there was no one behind me, same thing kept happening, my old chevy truck did the same thing but not as bad, at least it would stop just not as soon as i wanted it to, i took the fuse out of the ABS and it quit doing this on the truck and i had to pump the breaks manually. this car is about 5 months old now i have a feeling the ABS is screwed up. its like the calipers are locking , than unlocking than locking and unlocking but not really fast like the should be, there locking and unlocking probably 2-3 times a second..

that is the best i can describe whats going on.. any one else ever have this happen..

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
1) You sure you weren't sliding?
2) The noise you hear is the ABS kicking in. Read the manual, it tells you what to expect.
3) Get snow tires. Solved.
4) The "locking" and "unlocking" is the ABS pulsing the brakes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it seems like the ABS is reacting very slowly, yes it was sliding but the breaks did not seem to be doing anything other than locking up for longer than they should, unlocking and locking up again. i would think it should lock and unlock a **** of allot faster than what mine is doing

i have been driving in snow my whole life, this does not seem normal at all.. ill look at the manual but i really think there is a issue. these breaks scare me in the snow,

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Seems like the car's working fine to me. ABS makes noise.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My car does the same thing, that's just what happens when driving on ice. Your chevy truck was bigger/heavier and therefore probably had better traction. Personally, I feel I have more control in the cruze than my sister's jeep (which is 4wd).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after what you all have said and watching a few videos of ABS in the snow i guess it is doing what it should, maybe those stock tires are just horrible in the snow.

my truck was a S-10 ZR2 so it was not that heavy 3k some lbs, it was 4X4 though which was awesome for general driving, i remember ripping around in the snow in that thign, it just did not like to stop well, maybe mud tires are bad in the snow. one thing that made me thing somethign was wrong if i went over a big bump any time of year while i was breaking the ABS kicked on. none of the other cars i had, maily Honda ever acted like this but its probably just the tires on the cruze.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
after what you all have said and watching a few videos of ABS in the snow i guess it is doing what it should, maybe those stock tires are just horrible in the snow.
This. Cruze qs meant for MPG. Sometimes MPG conflicts with real world scenarios like performance and snow situations. BUT, if there were a problem I have no doubt that a CEL would be thrown. As uncomfortable as it may have been, it's working properly. Grab some snow tires and race some hondas.

my truck was a S-10 ZR2 so it was not that heavy 3k some lbs, it was 4X4 though which was awesome for general driving,
4x4 S10?! I had an S-15 and it wasn't 4x4.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
its the crappy eco tires loosing grip setting off the ABS, only thing you can do is buy better tires or learn to stop even sooner. On hills you pretty much have to ride the brakes & hope for the best with tires like that.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Where are you? If it's any place that got that wet snow that we got here, it's the ABS and traction control, possibly even stability control, doing their things to keep the car predictable as the tires lost grip. Obermd and I came to the conclusion that the OEM Goodyears work well for the dry snow he has in Denver, and not well for the wet snow I get around Rochester.

This sounds normal for the Eco when shod in the OEM Goodyear tires. Grippier tires will set things okay.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am in ohio, i cant really afford new tirs right now, plus its on lease and i will probably give it back when the lease is over so i would hate to spend any money on the thing. i like the car but i don't love the car, it drives nice and the gas mileage is pretty good. it looks nice, i guess i am just worried that its gonna have issues later in its like some other peoples Chevrolet vehicles

The ZR2 is made for offroading and ill tell you what it climbed up everything like a champ, allot better than most of the larger trucks....

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Low rolling resistance tires = terrible. Not the cars fault. Priuses are terrible in snow because of their tires too.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2LT and was going to start a thread about the opposite actually. We only have about an inch here in Michigan but with the 40mph winds last night there was some drifting that covered the roads with an icy snowy mess. It was my first experience with this car in snow and I was very impressed with both stopping and starting. My old Saturn was scary on slippery surfaces! Tires may be the big story here..... But if I were you I'd wait for a snowy day and take it to the dealer to do a test drive. There have been some issues, rare mind you, of other Chevy's having overactive abs systems causing the vehicle to not want to stop well at all. We had a newer Chevy 1 ton dually at work that was a buy back because of this very issue. I drove it a few times and the abs would kick in under medium stopping effort causing the vehicle to take far far longer than it should to stop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mud tires are awful in snow, hitting bumps and breaking will set off the ABS because the tires locked up. The car doesn't engage ABS because of ice and snow, it's all cases of tire lock up. I have felt the same thing you have in mine, all I did was get off the brakes and handle it on my own. I would never ever in my life drive Eco tires on any snow lol those things are like plastic

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
it seems like the ABS is reacting very slowly, yes it was sliding but the breaks did not seem to be doing anything other than locking up for longer than they should, unlocking and locking up again. i would think it should lock and unlock a **** of allot faster than what mine is doing

i have been driving in snow my whole life, this does not seem normal at all.. ill look at the manual but i really think there is a issue. these breaks scare me in the snow,

Hello dannylightning,

Stopping distance can be longer and vehicle control can be affected when traction is reduced by water, snow, ice, gravel, or other material on the road. Remember, antilock brakes help avoid only the braking skid. To be on the safe side, if you feel like the timing is off on your breaks and aren’t performing the way they should, then have your dealership take a look at them. Keep us posted on what happens.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service (assisting Stacy)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the advice, i think Monday i will call the dealer or drive down there and tell them the car is a death trap in the snow and tried to kill me.. i want it checked out just to be safe.. i have 11 days off work so i wont need to do much driving far from home.. i

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
The OEM Goodyears on an Eco are not the worst all-seasons ever in snow. The house-brand all-seasons on the cars I drove growing up were far worse. They kept the underside of the car off the ground is about the best thing I can say of them when they needed to get through the white stuff. The ones on my folks' Subaru Legacy would gladly kick the ABS on in very light snow, and make the car go faster if going downhill. I did steer around some idiots who stopped short once, so ABS worked as intended.

Like was said elsewhere, ABS won't reduce the length of a stop. It will make sure the wheels keep turning so one can retain some control. A locked-up wheel has zero directional control until it unlocks again.

I'm thinking this one is driver inexperience with the car more than a fault with the car. Spending $500 on 15" snow tires and wheels is a good investment in your safety. And, an accident with a leased car might result in far more than $500 in money owed at the end of the lease since the residual value of the car was reduced thanks to an accident. And, they can be sold to another Cruze owner for $200-250 at the end of the lease.

Anecdotally, I counted 15 patches of wind-blown snow in the 7 miles between my house and the shopping areas I shop at. It takes losing control on 1 of those areas to crash. Winter tires will help out greatly in retaining control, especially when hit with a 50 mph gust of wind while driving on snow. These cars are very good in resisting gusts, and that will only be aided by appropriate tires for the conditions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Funny you mentioned that Sciphi, I had commented in another thread how surprised I was hen driving on a gusty day in my new Cruze. It was almost like I couldn't even feel any gusts at all!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Funny you mentioned that Sciphi, I had commented in another thread how surprised I was hen driving on a gusty day in my new Cruze. It was almost like I couldn't even feel any gusts at all!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
The Eco is barely affected by even very gusty winds. It's the best car I've ever driven in windy conditions. Wind gusts are far more heard than felt. The steering wheel might need a slight twitch to stay on course in a really bad gust.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
The Eco is barely affected by even very gusty winds. It's the best car I've ever driven in windy conditions. Wind gusts are far more heard than felt. The steering wheel might need a slight twitch to stay on course in a really bad gust.
I love that. I was driving in very constant windy conditions the other night. I could see other vehicles blowing all over the road - especially small SUVs and tractor trailers, but the Cruze was unaffected. My old Honda and Volvo were all over the road.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts