Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to finally change my fuel filter (again, after initially thinking I had the incorrect fuel filter last time I attempted to change it), and when I went to loosen the water drain, it twisted right off with very little force.

It appears I now need to replace the entire water separator just to get a new lower cap. Perhaps in purchasing the whole unit, a new filter will come with it as well? GM Part 22937278

Moral of the story: Be very careful not to over-tighten your water drain plugs. I thought I had been extra careful on mine, but it appears the unit is more fragile than I would have expected.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Perhaps in purchasing the whole unit, a new filter will come with it as well? GM Part 22937278

Moral of the story: Be very careful not to over-tighten your water drain plugs. I thought I had been extra careful on mine, but it appears the unit is more fragile than I would have expected.
The filter element should be included with the whole water separator assembly. Look around online you might find it cheaper then the $137.40 from gmpartsonline, although thats a pretty good price considering your are also getting the water sensor and heater along with the housing. Try checking Rock Auto, amazon, and ebay. Two months ago I was able to purchase a brand new complete water separator including filter in original box from ebay for only $39.95 including shipping (cheaper then just the filter).

My 6.0L PS uses a similar black cap for both fuel filters and the oil filter, I never had to torque any of them just needed to snug up a little as the O-rings do all the sealing. Also I use a light application of grease on the o-rings since the diesel fuel causes them to swell a little which makes for a tight hard to remove fit.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
It always felt very fragile to me when I did my fuel filter changes. I no longer bother with opening the drain when I change the filter.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,040 Posts
Another reason to me not to touch that, and just take the whole cap off.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll post a picture of the broken unit later. Right now, I loosely left it on the car sitting in the garage to protect the inside of the water separator from contamination. It's crazy how small of a plastic neck secures the drain.

I confirmed with my dealer this morning - the parts diagram specifically mentions that the cap is not to be sold separately - one must purchase the entire unit. The dealer has one in stock, but wanted $225 for it - funny because my dealer's online eBay store sells it for $150 with free shipping.

I found a new unit on eBay for $91 including expedited shipping. Since I confirmed with the seller it includes the filter element, I'll look at it as buying the cap for about $20, since I'll have another $70 filter with it. It should be here Wed. Fortunately, I have a second car.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I'll post a picture of the broken unit later. Right now, I loosely left it on the car sitting in the garage to protect the inside of the water separator from contamination. It's crazy how small of a plastic neck secures the drain.

I confirmed with my dealer this morning - the parts diagram specifically mentions that the cap is not to be sold separately - one must purchase the entire unit. The dealer has one in stock, but wanted $225 for it - funny because my dealer's online eBay store sells it for $150 with free shipping.

I found a new unit on eBay for $91 including expedited shipping. Since I confirmed with the seller it includes the filter element, I'll look at it as buying the cap for about $20, since I'll have another $70 filter with it. It should be here Wed. Fortunately, I have a second car.
That's a great deal!

Reactions: KpaxFAQ
1 - 8 of 8 Posts