Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my diesel 6-speed in for it's second oil change at 12,000 miles today and mentioned to the service writer that I've been hearing a light tick noise on the driver side when I'm moving with the windows open and next to a building or something else that will reflect car sounds back to me.

Just got the call that it's a broken flywheel. Wow! Is this a thing with the Chevy manuals or am I just unlucky?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I would venture to say "unlucky" that it happened..."lucky" it happened now. Assuming it will be handled free of charge under powertrain warranty?

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would venture to say "unlucky" that it happened..."lucky" it happened now. Assuming it will be handled free of charge under powertrain warranty?
I have three active warranties on the car. I ain't payin'.

Sounds like I need to make sure I don't violate any of the fine print on my lifetime powertrain warranty. :-/

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Up to about the first 12,000 mile point there's no problem getting this covered. After that you have to look at the clutch pad and friction disk to ensure no excessive clutch wear. The flywheel is easy to overheat and will fracture. Also, it's not a solid disk, it's a hollow cylinder with springs and other complexities designed to make the clutch operation smoother. We've had a few break internally - always been covered under the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking some more about this. My car has always had kind of a wobble in 1st gear during hard acceleration -- basically winding it up in 1st to 4k+ RPM or so I can feel the stick moving a little like something's uneven somewhere. Ordinarily I would figure this to be a transmission issue, especially because it's noticeable in one gear.

Would this kind of uneven, wobbly behavior be explained by the broken flywheel? Or, worse, might the flywheel be a victim of some other transmission issue?

I'm thinking over whether I want to mention it to the dealer before they tear into the flywheel replacement.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I was thinking some more about this. My car has always had kind of a wobble in 1st gear during hard acceleration -- basically winding it up in 1st to 4k+ RPM or so I can feel the stick moving a little like something's uneven somewhere. Ordinarily I would figure this to be a transmission issue, especially because it's noticeable in one gear.

Would this kind of uneven, wobbly behavior be explained by the broken flywheel? Or, worse, might the flywheel be a victim of some other transmission issue?

I'm thinking over whether I want to mention it to the dealer before they tear into the flywheel replacement.
Probably flywheel.

When mine locked itself up, the whole car shook horribly at idle. Yours is probably suttle enough to mostly be absorbed by the massive engine/trans mounts, which do a relatively good job of smoothing out what would normally be a pretty thrashy drivetrain combo.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

I'd go with the flywheel for this. Like I said it's not a solid part and this is symptomatic of a failed dynamic weight inside the flywheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts