Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Broken tail light lens

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  chevycruze2012 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So lastnight i was changing out the rest of my bulbs in my tail light outers to LED bulbs and i got the driver side out fine but the passenger was a pain. I DID my take my time doing it so i was trying to be really careful. Well when i got the two screws out that hold it in, i wedged a MF towel around the taillight lens at the sharp rounded corner of it and began to give it some tug/pull. Well somehow when it came out, there is a part of the grey plastic piece of the lens that caught or snagged the qtr panel body and it broke a good chunk off of it. UGH IM SO PISSED. Now i got to buy an OEM one. Im trying to find a used one that is OEM gm cheap. Any help guys?

#3 ·
I have already searches statewide on car-parts.com and the cheapest i found in iowa for one is 75 bucks a pop.

#5 ·
Dealer wants like 110.00 i think. I found one on ebay used in great condition for 42.97. Only thing i hope for is he accepts bill me later bec if he does ill buy it tmrw and get in a couple days. Otherwise ill have to wait til friday when i get paid. I feel like a total dumbass for breaking a brand part on a brand new car. I mean its not like it was intentional but its still annoying to me bec its my baby.

#7 ·
#9 ·
Well how much would you sell both lights for?

#10 ·
You can try Ebay also. I once got some new tail lights for my Suburban cheaper there. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

#11 ·
Yeah I believe I found one on ebay for 43.00. It may have to wait til I get paid Friday though=[. Im not in a big hurry to get it back on I guess.

#12 ·
sounds like you pulled them off the right way.. maybe just some bad luck.
mine got a lot easier to remove after i had removed them a few times.

Or maybe it was too cold out, I've only pulled mine off during the summer months.

#13 ·
Could have been too cold out. Im not sure how cold it was in my garage but the exterior of the garage outside was about 18 degrees or so. It was well under 32 degrees I know lol.

#14 ·
Dumb question, but if this is the gray plastic on the back, can you try to glue it back together? Since you don't have the money for new ones (and I don't consider relying on your weekly paycheck having it either), I'd look at options to try to fix it. There are many cheap plastic glues out there that could give you a repair that you'll never see.

Reactions: jblackburn
#16 ·
Yeah its the grey plastic piece. It broke where it has that little lip towards the top that run horizontal of the car and it goes over the metal part of the body a bit. I hope im not confusing anyone here. I can upload a picture of it if I need to. I found one brand new on ebay through am auto parts for 57.95 with free shipping. Its an aftermarket one though. I wanted to get the oem one but wasn't too fond of paying the prices I was seeing. The cheapest I could get it at one of the chevy dealerships that has an account with my work was 84.88 plus tax which came to 87.77. That is a gm oem one from the dealer and they have it in stock. Im not sure what the smarter decision should of been here, but I will probably buy the GM OEM one at taxes. I am limited to cash right now so I had to buy cheaper at the moment. Just hope it fits and matches with the other.

#15 ·
Already knew any kind of prying on that very thin edge would break something off so got one of these. Also greased those plungers with silicone so they wouldn't be so hard to pull out. Since I like the capability to change a bulb on the road, besides all the spare bulbs. Added a phillips and a small pick to my jack bag. Wrapped the suction tool in a towel and parked by the spare tire so it wouldn't rattle.

Also when I removed the tail lamps, found a lot of road salt behind the assemblies. Put a thick coat of wax in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.