Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 2LT Red Hot...5-weeks old.

...wondering about Cruze experiences & problems, @ brushless, commercial car washes.

·
Registered
747 Posts
In the summer I almost always do it myself. In the winter I run through touchless washes to get the salt off. I see you're in Florida, so that's not an issue there.

They do a decent job of washing off any dirt/salt, but that's about it. While it may look good from a distance, they don't do a wonderful job of getting off that last layer of grime, so they leave a film on the car that you really can't get off without doing it yourself (I refuse to use a non-touchless wash).

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, was watching a 70's movie on TMC the other night, guy drives into a car wash, gets out and walks on the glass side. A whole bunch of guys were hand washing his car, cleaning both the inside and outside windows, ran a vacuum, final spray and was hand wiped. Cashier at the end said, that would be a dollar sir.

Reminded me of car washes like that back then on Lewis Ave, in Waukegan, and was also a buck. Five bucks today to splash some water on it and rinse it off. But if you want an undercarriage spray plus some wax, can increment up to 9 bucks. Touchless is all we have in town. But does a nice job on the wheels at least.

Only other choice is these DIY car washes, put four quarters in the slot, use a pressure washer, hit the button for two seconds, then it asks for four more quarters. Least for five bucks, does thin out the salt, no other choice in sub zero weather. Doesn't do any damage to the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's everyone's thoughts on using the under carriage spray? I'm kinda mixed on it. Almost a necessary, in the winter, in N. Michigan. But, I wonder if any damage is being done by that powerful spray to the under-side of the car.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I use a touchless car wash a few times per winter.

Yearly rustproofing application is about the only way to go if you want to keep your car for 10+ years. I use Fluid Film, while some of the Canadians use Krown. CarWell is another well-respected brand.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Reminded me of car washes like that back then on Lewis Ave, in Waukegan, and was also a buck. Five bucks today to splash some water on it and rinse it off. But if you want an undercarriage spray plus some wax, can increment up to 9 bucks. Touchless is all we have in town. But does a nice job on the wheels at least.
$9 for a car wash, it would be hard to find a boy scout to do it for that price in Sydney, try $40 for a good wash, or $50 with a hand wax. At least getting even 20 years out of a car is quite common. There still quite a few 70's and 80's cars in common use and in good condition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use touchless on my car because I don't trust the brushes. I heard bad things about them especially in the winter. So far so good with touchless. I'm living in an apartment complex so if I can bucket wash it, I do but otherwise it's running it through the touchless and drying and waxing by hand off to the side.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Never ran it through a brush wash as of yet. We have on the wife's mini van and have not seen a scratch. I prefer to 'hand wash' my Cruzer and take pride in doing so.

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
I have had no problems with Mike's Car wash. Back in the 90s I used to use the self serve bays with the brushes. Never really thought that much about it till I really looked at it and the car looked like I had rubbed it with sandpaper. Other than that, I will do it myself.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Yo Ribbit send up some of that warm air up here . We are freezing and I need to wash me cruzen .

·
10,712 Posts
I used a brush car wash because I was lazy.... 1 random scratch appeared. Stay away from "Eco Friendly" car washes as well. These are the ones that "Recycle" their water back onto your car and smell like **** and **** mixed together when it gets trapped inside your cowl and you run outside air.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts