Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a double DIN radio in it, speakers and power was easy, but running five wires to the power antenna, would have to modify the new radio to handle this, without voiding the warranty. Or could just leave it up where someone would break it off.

Selected three candidates and downloaded the manual, for hands free, requires an external mic to be either mounted on the steering wheel column or preferably on the visor. Didn't like either method, for the steering, would have to remove the entire dash, but they show running that wire out of the front of the radio dangling to either spot.

Ha, then reading the operational section, ha, if I don't use this thing everyday, won't even know how to turn it on or off. And to attempt to find an FM station? Forget about this.

Then I am embedded with this purity thing, to keep a classic car stock. Any aftermarket radio would not match with the rest of the car. And since they are all made in China, probably wouldn't make it past a year. Besides, have a stack of cassettes that remind me of the days when life was simpler.

For GPS, did run across this site.

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/devicessupport

Maybe for the guys that have Cruze factory navigation if they can learn their radio model number or just call them. Only charge 75 bucks for a years subscription for map dealers, and a heck of a lot cheaper than going to your dealer.

Have to get a bug for doing something else, LOL.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick ...........Driving Entertainment | Xtrons lookat those and then this Installation Parts for Car Stereo Installers - Harnesses, Dash Kits, Bluetooth, Tools, Do it Yourself Stuff

I have the td630a for sale nice unit .
If you have time give me a jingle for help .. yeah stringing those wires is a bear .. looking for any speakers I have them 2 .. we'll get ya bumpen real good ..
Wow, a 65 page operating manual on the TD630A, and in the Supra the radio sits right on top of the center console, not easy to read from where my head is at. Ha, asked my wife if I should get one with a DVD player with a 7" screen, she prefers to lie down on her couch, nice warm blanket, and watch DVD's on a 70" screen.

Really what I should do is sell it and buy an SUV, this would really make her happy. But also would have to buy a step ladder so she can help me guide our kayak on top of it, not easy to hold that thing when the wind is blowing. Supra is only 4' tall, she can handle this.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Yeah but the maps are the greatest . igo based and full of fun facts shoot thiese puppies even have wifi and 4G .. GM sells the new H U for $ 2500.00 out the door installed . the new stuff in Ford are $ 1700.00 I got that in me new Race Red Mustang fully optioned ecoboost ..

Hey look up Fords ecoboost challenge for a fun filled day of the week what a blast that is to race around and test ride all that is offered us today .. shoot Ford put a 2.7 V 6 in a F 150 turboed of course and man that thing is fast ..

Reminds me when I last had the tires rotated on that POS cruzen I owned and the service writer asked me only 32000. miles do you want to trade this puppy in . I responded yeah for a 2015 Ford Mustang and laughed at his joke . he looks at me with a grin so I told him I have no loyalty to any manufacturer they don't pay me .. So I did !

And after that little story what 2 Din are ya interested in for yer Supra ?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, think I will keep what I have, still nice clear sound, and is still a radio, not a computer like others are crashing on this board. And still repairable.

Most important, I know how to turn it on and change stations, even without looking. And knowing myself, would probably end up driving into a tree playing with these things. For hands free, will have to learn how to voice activate my cell again, this is what I was doing before getting the Cruze.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got one of those cigar lighter plug in things for 20 bucks. Handles a 32 Gbyte SD chip, does hands free calling with a built in mic, and has two USB outputs for plugging in my GPS and charging a cell phone. Transmits the full FM spectrum, has a volume control to match the volume of the radio when doing other stuff. Works nice.

I like it, small, compact, and does the job.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So only after 28 years my external amplifier goes out, didn't bother to repair, already have several brand new in the box. But since its only driving the woofer, ha still just a woofer, like marine, if you put it under the water becomes a submarine. So maybe if I installed my woofer under the car it would be a subwoofer. Ha, I hate marketing guys.

Amplifier I used is rated at 27 watts for my woofer, may sound puny to some, but still enough to blow my ears off. Also is stereo amplifier, recall I could have spent a fortune for a dual voice coil speaker. But elected to do what I did 27 years ago. For a woofer, want both left and right channels, but can't do this with a stereo.

So what I did was to take the amplifier apart, looked up the amplifier chip for the inputs. High impedance inputs, so desoldered the pin to the right channel and soldered in that empty pad to the left channel. To make sure all was okay, used to audio generators and my four trace scope. Tried both the left, then the right inputs and received perfect output signal, then both for a composite. Grounded that unused pin to signal ground to keep it off.

Working good again, but had to make a new cable.

Maybe I should have purchased an MP3 player radio, the FM transmitter I purchased does cover the full FM band, but trying to find an unused station is getting near impossible. Have to live with hiss, but only noticeable when switching songs or during the quiet spots of classical music. Ha, don't think I would notice this at all with rap.

Rear hatch is opened on this think, inverted my spare tire so I still have trunk space. One problem with mounting a woofer, is a trade off for valuable car space. Ha, looked at my Cruze, maybe boring a hole in the roof and covering that with a plastic dome would work. Problem with the woofer in the trunk, should drop the rear seat backs so you can hear it.

Could also reverse the spare in the Cruze, but feel an 8" woofer would be about the maximum. Supra really needs a woofer, came stock with two 4 inch speakers in the front, and two 5 inch speakers in the rear. Using those Bose like bass reflex plastic enclosures, great for listening to flute music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts