Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Cruze. I recently paid a deposit to build one. Has anyone else? What has your experience been? Also, has anyone been able to see their car get built? I'm going to see if I can see it get assembled. Maybe I could also pick it up at a nearby dealership.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think the big disadvantage of BTO is that you really can't negotiate, am I correct? Going to a dealer may save some $$. I'm curious of this option too, I may renew my fleet. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,801 Posts
I’ve always factory ordered. And always paid substantially less than msrp.

Several of us have toured the lordstown assembly plant. But I don’t know of anyone who witnessed their car coming together.

·
10,712 Posts
I'm also not sure if you could time the car being built within tour hours and if they actually allow tours that day. End of the day, I would guess not asking the question can guarantee 0 answers. Ask the dealership and chevy customer care if they could help time that just right.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think you should be able to get a discount similar to one on the lot. But if I found a 17 with the same or close to the same as what I wanted, I would jump on it. Right now they are between 5k to 7500 off from what I've seen on new 17's. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Special orders should be cheaper.
The car sitting on the lot has costs associated with it that a car which was already sold before it was built does not.

Usually the best bet is to order it through the dealer's fleet manager, with the price set at x% below invoice less any incentives in effect at time of delivery. The problem is you give up the ability to time the incentives, whatever incentives are available the week your car is delivered are what you get. The bonus is you get a car with zero 'lot rot' on it, and when my dad ordered his Dodge, the window sticker said 'custom built for Taxman's Dad'.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Build has been complete for a while now. The status is that it is bayed. I assume its sitting on a back lot of the plant waiting for other cars to be built. Then they should have a full train load from Lordstown. What options do I have to find more detail on the status? I have the VIN, if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
What's that cost on a Holden?
In USA, we order the RS package for $695, get fog lights and different bumper covers, much better looking in back and separate spoiler in front.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure about the cost on a Holden.

But this one was built in Lordstown and is getting PDI at a Nashville, TN suburb.

I didn't an opportunity to select an RS package. As a result, I got the ground effects package and fog lights separately.

Car should be ready to pickup tomorrow afternoon. It has 3 miles on it right now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So....

It turns out they are having a hard time getting the fog lights to work. They said they reflashed the computer, but nothing. The PDI guy is doing the work. Tomorrow they say....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a diesel with a 6 speed manual/Kinetic Blue on order. I should be built in Lordstown the week of 1/15/2018. I guess I will find out how it will go!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a diesel with a 6 speed manual/Kinetic Blue on order. I should be built in Lordstown the week of 1/15/2018. I guess I will find out how it will go!
I am excited for you. That's the color I really wanted and settled on black.

Did they let you get the tan interior with the blue exterior? That's where the website and the dealer gave me a hard time.

Hopefully yours arrives sooner than mine. I waited about 8 weeks. But the anticipation was nice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up the car this evening. I'll take some pics tomorrow. The engine is super quiet, torquey, and smooth. I doubt most people would realize it is a diesel.

I really liked the shifter shape and the feeling of changing gears - direct and deliberate.

I will need to follow up with the dealer to find out what happened to the temp tag.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am excited for you. That's the color I really wanted and settled on black.

Did they let you get the tan interior with the blue exterior? That's where the website and the dealer gave me a hard time.

Hopefully yours arrives sooner than mine. I waited about 8 weeks. But the anticipation was nice.
Thanks, I am pretty excited. Actually, I wanted the gray leather interior. GM accepted the order that way.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Special orders should be cheaper.
The car sitting on the lot has costs associated with it that a car which was already sold before it was built does not.
Correct, "Should be", but it is unlikely they will be in most cases, ironically because the need to move inventory, due to those costs.. so they add all kinds of incentives to do so. The production plant has to produce a certain volume of cars to go past break even, and there simply are not enough direct factory orders to keep the level of production up, so they end up having inventory at the dealerships.. The reason I picked up the 2017 recently was a MSRP near $30K but came down to $22K is because they really need to move the 2017s out of inventory now that it is 2018, I think it's very unlikely you can get that kind of deal on any factory order.. I'd like those who have done so it to chime in and tell us how it went.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
'18 Cruze Sedan Diesel with fog lights, leather package and aero kit MSRP $27,660 (includes destination excludes tax). I paid 22 and change. December had a $2,000 rebate in my region. And I used GMS. But I think they extended the employee pricing for everyone. It was the same for 2018 or 2017 models. Rumor is they are having trouble selling the oil burner.

US auto sales hit a peak in 2017. This will be a good time to buy a new car. As MRO said, they need to build so many to break even. And they'll cut margin to keep building them.

Heated steering wheel sounds stupid until you try it. I am ready to be judged.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
No judging here. It was -3F when I drove to the dentist at 6:30 this morning.
I neglected to wear gloves, and my fingers were numb before I went 3 miles.
Then I put on a cold pair of gloves that I keep in the car, which was more uncomfortable than bare hands on a cold wheel until I was almost in town...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts