Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Building The Cruzen2.0

46K views 213 replies 17 participants last post by  Cruze CTRL 
#1 ·
Background:
My 2012 ECO MT has been named "Cruzen" so this is the build of "Cruzen2.0"
My ECO is worth too much to do all these modifications to it.
I WILL build the first(?) 2.0t 6MT CRUZE!

2014 Buick Verano Premium, 2.0T, 6MT, 17k miles, salvage- runs/drives, $3k (PURCHASED)
2012 Chevy Cruze LS, 1.8L, 6MT, 195k miles, bad clutch, $3k (PENDING AS OF 5/30/18)

The Buick was delivered today (5/30/18) and this it the first bit of prep so I could find out what replacement parts I needed to buy.

As Delivered
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Compact car

After removal of front crash bar and upper rad support (and hood)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

Messed up rads. No leaks tho, AC still blows cold! Only part not usable or the same with the recipient Cruze is the main engine radiator
Radiator Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive tire Car

As of now the wheels haven't fallen off the project, but they did have to come off the car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Collision Mid-size car

Tire Alloy wheel Spoke Wheel Rim

JUNK!!!
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Spoke

The wheels I will be using from now on (including the final look) will be 17x7 5x115 from a 2012 Equinox with 225/50/r16 tires to look stock and be the same size as the factory Cruze ones while fitting the Buick hubs and not saying "BUICK" on them.

Something like this
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part

Updates will come as I make progress

See less See more
#186 ·
#190 ·
@Blasirl Cruze wheel, but only because it has the verano clockspring, airbag guts, steering sensor, and wheel harness. Cosmetically it is a Cruze wheel, but not on the inside.

I still plan to do a better, more condesed version of this thread after I get a few more things taken care of with it. Be warned, I'm not used to taking pictures of things while I'm working so there arent as many pictures as even I was hoping for

#191 ·
@Blasirl Cruze wheel, but only because it has the verano clockspring, airbag guts, steering sensor, and wheel harness. Cosmetically it is a Cruze wheel, but not on the inside.

I still plan to do a better, more condesed version of this thread after I get a few more things taken care of with it. Be warned, I'm not used to taking pictures of things while I'm working so there arent as many pictures as even I was hoping for
How did you change the airbag cover?

#192 · (Edited)
@Blasirl The cover is just held in place by some tabs, fairly easy to pop it off and put the replacement on

This change was only needed because the cruze has 1 igniter and the buick has 2 (using the cruze airbag and the buick control module would result in a "service airbag" light)

#196 ·
I'd just go with the T.

Reactions: Blasirl
#197 · (Edited)

Replaced rear trans mount with a solid bushing one (Rear Lower Transmission Mount) due to continued annoyance caused by the ammount of "flop" in the drivetrain. Took these two (only one vid alowed per post for me atm, other vid in next post) while I was at it.

Most likely I will be showing what it sounds like with the main muffler bypassed (via a "loud-valve") in the future if I get there

#200 ·
Replaced rear trans mount with a solid bushing one (Rear Lower Transmission Mount) due to continued annoyance caused by the ammount of "flop" in the drivetrain. Took these two (only one vid alowed per post for me atm, other vid in next post) while I was at it.

Most likely I will be showing what it sounds like with the main muffler bypassed (via a "loud-valve") in the future if I get there
This is a 100% stock Verano exhaust? While I like how it sounds, I hear turbo and it is pretty loud for a Buick, just sayin'

(Anyone know why the forum requires 30sec between posts? I'm just curious to know what prompted this restriction)
To answer your question about the 30 sec rule, probably to help stop double posting. I've been know to double post on accident and that is usually because the website is slow and I see nothing happening so I hit post again and again.

#201 ·
@Blasirl The first minute of cold start holds high idle for a bit and slowly idles down. If you look at what GM has to say about the exhaust on the verano, they say they spent lots of money to make it quiet durring normal driving but more agressive when you lean on it.

#204 ·
Sure looks like it.

#206 · (Edited)
@chevyguy75 The offset is a bit off and with the bigger verano brakes, though they would have been fine without it, the fronts looked a bit too close to the calipers so I threw a pair of 3mm spacers on the front. But they did clear without the spacers.

Also, the same wheels were avalable on the up to 2008 or 09 equinox and the 2013 captiva. Along with a few other styles like a silver 5 spoke 18x7

#209 · (Edited)
Not sure if anyone cares, but I installed additional forward lighting for conditions that require more lighting than the stock setup allows and at the same time (since I had the bumper off anyways) I also blocked off the lower grill to assist with warming up the engine in the frigid temps that occur in a typical Michigan winter.

The lights were just some that I had laying around and once installed, they turned out to be a bit more "flood light" than I was hoping for as they were sold as "spot light" and I had never actually used the lights for more than just making sure they worked (I kept meaning to use them for SOMETHING, including reverse lights for a few different vehicles) but never did until now.

The blocker for the lower grill was made from some 1/8 inch polycarbonate (aged an unknown number of years and too breakable for its intended use) that I got from my job after it was removed from a slam-a-winner, due to excessive cracking, that I painted black on the inside and zip-tied to the bumper so I would be able to remove it if it turned out to restrict airflow too much.

I have yet to take a picture with both the upper grill and lower block off installed because I had left the upper grill off to have access to the lights for adjustment purposes and after adjusting them I have not yet taken a picture of the front of the car, but you should still be able to get the idea from what I do have pictures of.

Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Lighting Auto part

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Grille

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive exterior

grill is only resting in place for this pic

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Grille

(light bracket was painted black after fabrication was complete)

#211 ·
So, yesterday I got the led driving lights I had installed previously, that turned out to be floods, swapped out for some yellow spots that are much brighter and not as harsh to look at either.

I also got around to firming up the front trans mount, in the same way I did the rear, by stuffing chunks of plastic in the voids. Now I seem to have found the best compromise between engine movement control and NVH, the solid mount worked well just by itself but was too harsh and the pure stock setup was too loose.

Didn't get to jacking up the car to measure exhaust or unjam the cutout, but I did start looking to see if I could find any info on how to wire the verano ECM for flex fuel. Its the same deal as with the Cruze, the tables are in there but it doesnt have a sensor. If anyone can help me get a reply from BNR on the subject I woukd greatly appreciate it. Sent them a couple messages and even PMd Jerry on here, no response even to say "go away".

#212 ·
Background:
My 2012 ECO MT has been named "Cruzen" so this is the build of "Cruzen2.0"
My ECO is worth too much to do all these modifications to it.
I WILL build the first(?) 2.0t 6MT CRUZE!

2014 Buick Verano Premium, 2.0T, 6MT, 17k miles, salvage- runs/drives, $3k (PURCHASED)
2012 Chevy Cruze LS, 1.8L, 6MT, 195k miles, bad clutch, $3k (PENDING AS OF 5/30/18)

The Buick was delivered today (5/30/18) and this it the first bit of prep so I could find out what replacement parts I needed to buy.

As Delivered

View attachment 263377

After removal of front crash bar and upper rad support (and hood)
View attachment 263378

Messed up rads. No leaks tho, AC still blows cold! Only part not usable or the same with the recipient Cruze is the main engine radiator
View attachment 263385
View attachment 263393

As of now the wheels haven't fallen off the project, but they did have to come off the car
View attachment 263401
View attachment 263402

JUNK!!!
View attachment 263409

The wheels I will be using from now on (including the final look) will be 17x7 5x115 from a 2012 Equinox with 225/50/r16 tires to look stock and be the same size as the factory Cruze ones while fitting the Buick hubs and not saying "BUICK" on them.

Something like this
View attachment 263410

Updates will come as I make progress
Hello my friends,
My engine 1.8 is damaged.
I would like to know if I can swap to buik verano engine on my chevy cruze so I get more power.
If the answer is yes, what should I Change ?
(All Verano wiring, ECU, BCM, key car … )
Please let me know ASAP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.