Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I stupidly backed into the side of another car (wasn't payign attnetion as I was backing out of my driveway, as I do multiple times a day). Luckily there was no damage to their car, but my (2014 cruze) rear bumper got a small chip. I got two estimates, one for $300 and one for $400. The spot is so small I didn't think removing the entire bumper and sanding/repainting would be the only option. Anyone know how much this should cost? Also, anyone know of cheaper alternatives? Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper Auto part Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
803 Posts
That prices sounds about right. I assume they said they'd have to respray the entire bumper so that the repair blends perfect?

If you want to pay cheaper then the level of perfection goes down a few notches. You'll have to decide how good you want it to look. Do you want to be able to get on your hands and knees and look at the spot twelve inches away and see no signs of damage? Then pay up.

Or are you ok with it looking "unnoticeable" if your standing a few feet away? With this option you might be able to get away with doing it yourself with some sanding and touch up paint. Again, it won't be perfect but I think if you take your time and don't rush it you just might be able to make it less noticeable. Doesn't look bigger than the size of a quarter so it should be manageable.

I've got a similar love bump scar on my rear bumper from some lady bumping me in stop/go traffic. Although mine doesn't have a small chunk missing like yours, I've decided to live with it and not bother making this lady pay up. Its only noticeable if you bend over and look close. And NO one does that except me. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take such care of this car "imperfection" drives me nuts! I'm an expert car washer, but my skill goes little beyond that. I'm afraid that doing anything myself would only result in more-noticeable damage

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I agree with that price and also depending how deep the gash is. Its one of those things that probably really bug you now but for me i would sand and touch up paint it.Not hoping this would happen to you but this probably not be the last time that you get tapped by some one and last thing you want to do is spend 400 and you get tapped by some one and they would of had to pay for a new bumper that would of saved you 400. If you can make it 80% better by just sanding and touch up that is the way I would go. Save that money and get a CAI or spend 500.00 more and get brand new rims and tires. Our cars will always get dinged no matter how far we park away in a parking lot :-( and if we paid to get out every ding and scratch out we would have another new car for that price lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You make a really good point... As a college student, the $400 will really suck as well, as I am not working right now. I will head to youtube and learn how to sand and touch up paint

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Good news is your bumper doesn’t have the imbedded rear ‘sensors’ otherwise the repair would probably cost more AND you’d be running the risk of potential future complications with related systems.

Cost estimates sound fair enough...strictly your call. Price doesn’t appear worth an insurance claim.

Here’s a shot of my bumper showing the sensors

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part

Personally, I’d save the cash, trim excess plastic off and apply a GM touch-up paint available from your local dealer.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
You make a really good point... As a college student, the $400 will really suck as well, as I am not working right now. I will head to youtube and learn how to sand and touch up paint
You can only make it look better.......i hope lol. Take your time brother don't rush the sanding. Remember you can always sand some off but you can never sand it back on

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
A quick internet how to search, a little patience, some basic hand tools, and a couple hours of your time should do the trick. It is not at all difficult.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Do some yards actually do this? I figured their in the business to make money. And letting someone swap a part that they can make more money on over the slightly damaged one their getting in return seems odd.

You buy buy the part from them then take it home and change it yourself. However, at many salvage yards around here there are vultures circling the parking lot offering to go pull the good part in the yard and put it one for you for “just a small fee,hefe”

1 - 13 of 13 Posts