Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my car back from my local Mechanic. He States that my purge valve solenoid is the cause of burning excess oil. I think not.

I was sitting at the Toyota dealership near my house getting my wife's car serviced. My nephew and I were sitting in my car windows up just listening to music and playing on our phones (yes the car was running) I noticed my temperature gauge go slightly passed the halfway mark it usually holds. I immediately shut my car off. Once I made it home I checked the water and it was empty. Long story short, the housing for the thermostat was cracked. I replaced it with a newer dorman aluminum one for 117$ through Advance Auto parts store here near my house. Shortly after I did a full service tune up, all fluid changes, ect. I also replaced my valve cover just after because I found it was in bad shape during my oil change. Just shy of two weeks after all this work I am on my way home from St. Augustine, Fl and I pull into a gas station to meet my wife and as I roll my window down I hear a loud knocking sound. (Her Toyota is brand new) so I know it had to be me. I get home and let my car cool, I check the oil, bone dry. I refill it to proper levels and the knocking IMMEDIATELY stops. I take it to my local Mechanic and he tells me the purge valve is causing the car to run lean allowing the oil to be burnt faster. Makes no sense to me. I call another source I trust and he says that the synthetic oil I put in the car that it calls for is too thin. That since I have 181k miles on my car I should put a thicker weight of oil in and it should quit. Mind you I have no smoking from my tail pipe, yet the tail pipe is black as darkness! HELP!?????

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
Just shy of two weeks after all this work I am on my way home from St. Augustine, Fl and I pull into a gas station to meet my wife and as I roll my window down I hear a loud knocking sound. (Her Toyota is brand new) so I know it had to be me. I get home and let my car cool, I check the oil, bone dry.
Assuming your checked the oil two week ago, that's a pretty significant oil leak. About the only internal oil leak I can think of that would be big enough is if the turbo is hemorrhaging oil. Yes, the PCV can cause oil to burn, but I doubt if it can burn that much that fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Blasirl
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing