Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Cruze LT and yesterday evening it developed what seems to be a burning oil odor. Can smell outside the car and inside, with the air/blower on. I have an appointment at the Chevy Dealer in a couple of hours. Question, which I know it's really up to me but would like some feedback please..... no noticeable oil on garage floor. Dealer is about 12 miles away. OK to drive or should I have it towed? Cruze has 51,000 miles

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Even if only 12 miles I would not attempt to drive unless I inspected under the hood for visible leaks, also checking with the engine running.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If oil is burning only spots hot enough are the exhaust manifold, turbo, or exhaust pipe. Would check those first. Could be the oil filter cap, also the turbo oil feed line in the front of the engine going down to the turbo, does have a fitting. Loose bolt on the camshaft cover is another possibility.

Should see smoke someplace when the engine is hot.

One concern is an engine fire if it gets any worse, can't tell without looking first, so up to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Turned out #1... seems that a plastic bag somehow blew under car and wrapped around exhaust tubing right behind engine and #2... oil pan gasket is leaking. Oil pan gasket leak repaired under warranty. Yay! Forgot to tell the dealer and mechanic that I use full synthetic oil though, so if they didn't put synthetic back in, I guess I'll have to do an oil change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep! PeeeeYooooou! lol Did have a "sweeter" smell than burning oil. Mechanic said that when he changed the pan gasket, he'll try to get as much as possible of the plastic bag off the exhaust tubing. Very nice people. Santa Paula Chevrolet, Santa Paula, CA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Turns out the dealer did use synthetic blend to fill oil. If I have been using full synthetic, is this going to cause a problem? How soon should I be switching back to full synthetic?
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts