Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2016.5 Cruze with about 30K miles. Yesterday I drove it for 2 30-minute trips. At the beginning of the first trip there was a very strong burnt plastic smell coming into the cabin. It continued for the rest of the two trips, albeit not quite as strong as when we first started. I opened the hood and there was no smell coming from the engine itself, nor any obvious signs of leaks. Coolant level was full. I tried to see if running the AC caused it, but no pattern was found. I thought it could possibly be from the heated seats, but couldn't tell for sure.

Didn't drive it the rest of yesterday and took it out this morning for about 40 minutes worth of driving. No smell.

I know the Gen 1 Cruzes had issues with leaks/smells - wasn't sure if it was a thing with the Gen 2's. I have had all 4 pistons replaced due to one of the pistons being cracked. Not sure if that matters with this issue.

Ideas anyone?

I have an appointment to take it to the dealer on Wednesday but if it's not acting up, I'm not sure they will be able to do much, nor do I want to end up paying for an inspection (even though it's under warranty).

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before taking it to the dealer, one thing you can do yourself is check the Cabin Air Filter. Sometimes road debris can become lodged in the filter causing odd smells.

The filter should be changed annually.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/385...994-gen-2-cabin-air-filter-removal-video.html
While I probably should do that soon, there's no way this smell was as simple as something stuck in the air filter. It was quite strong and was definitely something melting or burning.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I suspect you ran over a plastic bag, which instantly adheres to the hot exaust. Over time and miles it melts (stinks) and as it slowly burns off the odor is less and less until the bag is burned to a crisp.....some black residue will be left begind but the odor should cease.

Best guess based off description of event.

Rob

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had that smell on my 1st regen when I stopped for a few minutes. I was really concerned,so I started a thread. I was in the middle of a regen at the time. Hope your works out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will admit, I feel a bit dumb I didn't rule this out earlier. Mystery solved - phone charging cable was shorting out and melting itself. Oh well, good news is that it's not related to the car.

Mods feel free to delete the thread if you want to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts