Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,475 Posts
How does the bottom of the #1 plug well look? Is there any oil down there? The 1.8's are prone to valve cover leaks which allow oil to seep into the well and short out the coil, which can damage it, as well as causing a misfire.

As I recall, the gen1 1.4T valve cover gaskets are prone to doing that, too. (Hopefully somebody with one will chime in here.)

When you swapped plugs and replaced the coil module, did you notice any oil on the #1 boot?

Doug

As far as I have seen, that usually happens on a 1.4 when the PCV valve in the manifold fails or when someone forgets the two places that form-a-gasket should be used on a replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doug
How does the bottom of the #1 plug well look? Is there any oil down there? The 1.8's are prone to valve cover leaks which allow oil to seep into the well and short out the coil, which can damage it, as well as causing a misfire.

As I recall, the gen1 1.4T valve cover gaskets are prone to doing that, too. (Hopefully somebody with one will chime in here.)

When you swapped plugs and replaced the coil module, did you notice any oil on the #1 boot?

Doug

I was having the same issue as the gentleman & i noticed quite a bit of oil residue on my plug & in the well. Do i have a valvke cover leak you think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know what you are talking about, the coil pack is burnt on the side of the coil, it's cracked and burnt and cooked, probably smells like an electrical fire. These guys that are trying to help you by saying " I have never heard of a coil pack burning up, it's your spark plugs" or what ever they are saying just shows they are not technicians and probably shotgun parts at cars and hope they fixed it. I have a 2014 Cruze in my shop right now for the exact same problem. We have not figured it out yet but as soon as we do I will post the fix for you and hopefully that will helps.
I have a 2011 Cruze 1.4L in my shop now with the same issue. There is a short to power at the IGN coil #1 circuit (terminal D of the Ign coil connector) coming from the ECM connector. Somehow power is travelling through the ECM connector (Through the plastic??) I haven't determined the fix just yet, only the problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The shorts are usually due to corrosion from coolant wicking up the harness through a failed sensor or t-stat heater. Sometimes it's carbon buildup from burned connections due to high resistance in connnector(less common)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The shorts are usually due to corrosion from coolant wicking up the harness through a failed sensor or t-stat heater. Sometimes it's carbon buildup from burned connections due to high resistance in connnector(less common)
I'm still working on a fix here, removing the pins and cleaning the connector doesn't seem to help. THoughts?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Back the ign1 terminal out of the ECM connector, see if your short to power goes away. If it does you either need a new ECM or just need to clean better(likely taking apart the connector body and cleaning in between the female terminals) if the short doesn't disappear you have a physical short through the insulation, just run a new wire from the ECM to coil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back the ign1 terminal out of the ECM connector, see if your short to power goes away. If it does you either need a new ECM or just need to clean better(likely taking apart the connector body and cleaning in between the female terminals) if the short doesn't disappear you have a physical short through the insulation, just run a new wire from the ECM to coil
no amount of cleaning could stop the short. This was ridiculous. I swapped the X3 and X2 connectors (I had to shave a bit of plastic off so the connectors would swap.) Every wire transferred over easily and X3 doesn't use pins 1 or 2 which is where the short was located.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know what you are talking about, the coil pack is burnt on the side of the coil, it's cracked and burnt and cooked, probably smells like an electrical fire. These guys that are trying to help you by saying " I have never heard of a coil pack burning up, it's your spark plugs" or what ever they are saying just shows they are not technicians and probably shotgun parts at cars and hope they fixed it. I have a 2014 Cruze in my shop right now for the exact same problem. We have not figured it out yet but as soon as we do I will post the fix for you and hopefully that will helps.
I'm having the same issue with my son's 2014 1.4T. New plugs. New ignition coil x2. #1 misfire and has blowed the 2nd coil and keeps blowing the 15amp injector fuse. Could a bad injector be the problem? I've also cleaned and reconnected all the ground wires I could find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my son's 2014 1.4T. New plugs. New ignition coil x2. #1 misfire and has blowed the 2nd coil and keeps blowing the 15amp injector fuse. Could a bad injector be the problem? I've also cleaned and reconnected all the ground wires I could find.
Did you watch the video I posted. This is probably your problem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey. I’m not sure how to link or send you to the discussion I had. So I will try to copy and paste it. So sorry so long but this worked for me.
Ok. New update. I’m back looking at the coil. I checked my ohms on the ground- ok. I checked all the coil wires to see if I had short to power. 2,3,4 had around .024 volts. The #1 ( D pin , blue with Violet color wire ) had .130 volts and was Changing/dropping. After disconnecting the battery. I pulled the computer connector ( the middle one ) again. This time I found moisture around the #1 pin for #1 coil ( Blue with violet color wire ). However I did see some more around pin #14 a light blue wire. As Blueblurr had said the he had a wet connector plug on the sensor on the thermostat housing ( which is called engine coolant thermostat heater) and this is the same wire. Believe it or not, over time the coolant is getting pushed through the wire all the way to the computer connector. Not sure if I can buy just the heater or have to buy the whole thermostat housing Assembly. As I changed it out once already sometime ago. It comes with the thermostat sensor and gasket. Tomorrow I will also be cutting the wire from the sensor to the computer and soldering in a new wire because the new wire could be getting corroded and will give me problems later on as well or even have moisture in it that will get back to the computer and give me problems again. I will also clean the sensor connector as well as cleaning and drying out the computer connector. Looking at the pins on the computer they look to be OK. After that I will install Another new coil and hope for the best. Sorry so long but try to give as much detail to help everybody out. Hope it works. I’ll keep you updated as things go along any questions don’t hesitate to ask. I appreciate the help you guys been.
Today I took the computer connector apart. I found corrosion on number one pin for the #1 coil and #2 pin for #1 injector. Power was back feeding from the second pin to the first pin. Cleaned up all the pens in the connector and put back together. I clean the connector up for the center inside the thermostat housing. Then replace the light blue wire between the thermostat sensor and the computer connector. Replace the thermostat housing assembly with the sensor. Re-check my test and it all came out good I only had .015 volts. - all good. Put dielectric grease on all the connectors. Running good today will update after a couple days of running.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure out the problem? I was driving to work and my car started missing bought a coil pack, put it in and totally burned cylinder 1’s coil. (It melted and came apart when I removed it) I thought I had gotten a bad coil pack so I returned it and got it replaced. again the second coil pack started shooting the fuse. I thought maybe it was a bad (autozone) product and replaced it with a different brand same problem third time out now I am at a total loss and have no clue which way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you figure out the problem? I was driving to work and my car started missing bought a coil pack, put it in and totally burned cylinder 1’s coil. (It melted and came apart when I removed it) I thought I had gotten a bad coil pack so I returned it and got it replaced. again the second coil pack started shooting the fuse. I thought maybe it was a bad (autozone) product and replaced it with a different brand same problem third time out now I am at a total loss and have no clue which way to go.
Yes, there have been three different posts with the fix. One of them is a video.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i am having the exact same problem the smell the cracked coils everything, did you ever figure it out??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mudjeeper,
did you figure out the problem?
i already cleaned the connector like the guy in video said
but my Cruze still blowing the injectors fuse

21 - 39 of 39 Posts