Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know what you are talking about, the coil pack is burnt on the side of the coil, it's cracked and burnt and cooked, probably smells like an electrical fire. These guys that are trying to help you by saying " I have never heard of a coil pack burning up, it's your spark plugs" or what ever they are saying just shows they are not technicians and probably shotgun parts at cars and hope they fixed it. I have a 2014 Cruze in my shop right now for the exact same problem. We have not figured it out yet but as soon as we do I will post the fix for you and hopefully that will helps.
I have the exact same problem !! Did you figure out what was wrong ??? Would appreciate any help !??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, everyone been having a problem with the coil pack.2014 Cruze 1.4T. Cylinder 1 keeps missing. Have swapped out two packs already and replace the spark plugs. First time it happens I chalked it to normal wear and tear. 85k miles in car. Did tune up replace plugs and coil pack. (AC Delco). Been driving perfectly fine for almost 3 weeks, and again started missing on cylinder 1. Looks like the pack burned up again. Any advise? Thanks.
My son's 2014 1.4T was doing the same thing..after many coil packs and spark plugs later the problem was the middle connector to the ecm..corrosion shorting #1 causing it to blow. Cleaned it and the inside cap with electrical cleaner and added some electrical grease. Bought a new ignition coil and so far running like new again. Hope this helps.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,734 Posts
I was wondering if this issue was going to be similar to what my brother had to do on his '01 Mustang GT to get it to stop exploding coil number 5 instantly, but it looks like the fix is much, much similar.

His, for reference, required removing the entire engine harness, and then "opening it up" to find the ground wire for coil number 5 (those coils have constant power, and the ECM switches the ground when it is time to discharge) and fixing the short.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering if this issue was going to be similar to what my brother had to do on his '01 Mustang GT to get it to stop exploding coil number 5 instantly, but it looks like the fix is much, much similar.

His, for reference, required removing the entire engine harness, and then "opening it up" to find the ground wire for coil number 5 (those coils have constant power, and the ECM switches the ground when it is time to discharge) and fixing the short.

View attachment 290326
View attachment 290327
Luckily my son's harness was ok and just the connector had corrosion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Cruze 1.4L in my shop now with the same issue. There is a short to power at the IGN coil #1 circuit (terminal D of the Ign coil connector) coming from the ECM connector. Somehow power is travelling through the ECM connector (Through the plastic??) I haven't determined the fix just yet, only the problem. Hope this helps.
So did u figure this out?
You are right the ecm connector is conductive and shorting to ground also affecting #3 coil driver by using a powered led test light you can see with both connectors disconnected there should be no green or red light when checking for short to ground

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know what you are talking about, the coil pack is burnt on the side of the coil, it's cracked and burnt and cooked, probably smells like an electrical fire. These guys that are trying to help you by saying " I have never heard of a coil pack burning up, it's your spark plugs" or what ever they are saying just shows they are not technicians and probably shotgun parts at cars and hope they fixed it. I have a 2014 Cruze in my shop right now for the exact same problem. We have not figured it out yet but as soon as we do I will post the fix for you and hopefully that will helps.
I have a car doing the same thing, on the 3rd coil, did you find a fix??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep us updated i have same situation.put brand new coil pack on went around the block and# one boot is melted off the pack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was causing it ? I purchased a Chevy Cruze and it’s doing the exact same, already bought two coil packs and always blows them up

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,514 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Blasirl,
I managed to find what was wrong and fixed the issue, thermostat sensor had coolant inside and was causing a short. Seems like a common problem lol
Fixed that now the valve cover gasket is leaking air out of the valve, also seems to be a common problem
Too bad it’s already at 101k miles and power train warranty is up.
Thanks.

Welcome Aboard!(y)

Just to make sure, did you read the complete thread? There have been multiple fixes for differing issues. Here is one more possibility:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10112283-9999.pdf

don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Administrator
13,514 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was?
I have a 2012 replaced coils twice, replaced all the spark plugs, the Computer is reading that the fuel injector is fine. Ran test on everything and still popping cyl 1 and 3 misfire, heads are fine.( I mean clean no carbon build up nothing.) The solenoid valve isn’t ReAding on the computer. So what’s missing? Oh and checked the wiring. Any other suggestion and replaced the turbo. About to strip this bitch and sell it for parts.
Help! Thanks T

·
Administrator
13,514 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was?
I have a 2012 replaced coils twice, replaced all the spark plugs, the Computer is reading that the fuel injector is fine. Ran test on everything and still popping cyl 1 and 3 misfire, heads are fine.( I mean clean no carbon build up nothing.) The solenoid valve isn’t ReAding on the computer. So what’s missing? Oh and checked the wiring. Any other suggestion and replaced the turbo. About to strip this bitch and sell it for parts.
Help! Thanks T
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Dd you read through this entire thread? There are multiple solutions for different problems with the same or similar symptoms in this thread alone and there are many more that you can search for. Take a little more time and flesh out what you have done, what codes were read and what parts were replaced as a starter.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure out the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I
Hello, everyone been having a problem with the coil pack.2014 Cruze 1.4T. Cylinder 1 keeps missing. Have swapped out two packs already and replace the spark plugs. First time it happens I chalked it to normal wear and tear. 85k miles in car. Did tune up replace plugs and coil pack. (AC Delco). Been driving perfectly fine for almost 3 weeks, and again started missing on cylinder 1. Looks like the pack burned up again. Any advise? Thanks.
I am have samn problem I replaced my valve cover and gasket bc it was leaking oil in to plug hole and shorting them out so got that fixed replaced plugs coil pack also had to replace catalytic converter bc code said it was going bad and o2 sensors pcv valve had to be changed twice from getting stuck open after all the the car would start up and drive for about 16 miles then burn up the coil pack again but valve cover is not leaking anymore so that's not the problem also have Stabilitrak light flashing now got feed up took it to dealer the said it needs coil pack plugs something in the dash cluster reprogrammed an they wanted 1600 to do it all witch is insane but I asked them I said ok if I let u all do that witch is the samn thing iv done except the cluster reprogramme and then it doesn't fix it are u all going to put my parts back on and give me my money back and then try somthing eles to fix it they said no I said well what if u do all that and it's not the problem these ass holes said well u got to start somewhere lmao I about smaked the guy like he was a transexual that I had sex with and didnt tell me till after the deed was done so anyways sorry for long story but if u fig it out could h pls shoot me a message I'd be really grateful

41 - 60 of 61 Posts