Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to begin this post by stating that I am not one for bashing companies or their products publicly. I believe that I am a fair consumer and as someone who also works in customer service, I am in most cases more than willing to give companies the opportunity to resolve an issue before escalating it. That being said, sometimes there is no better way to make a difference than to share your own poor experience with other consumers whose buying decisions have the potential to make an impact. Thank you in advance for reading, I know this post is long.

Approximately three months ago I purchased a set of B&G Suspension S2 Sport Lowering Springs for my 2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT. I received the springs in a timely manner and eagerly set aside a Saturday morning with my dad to install them, as we have done on numerous other vehicles. Utilizing the General Motors service manual for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze (B&G does not include instructions with the kit), my father and I followed the step by step procedure listed including disassembly, reassembly and torque specifications for front and rear spring installation. Upon completion we lowered the car to the ground and drove it around the block to allow the new springs to settle. When we returned home we parked the car on level ground and stepped back to admire our work, this is where the problems began. Upon stepping back from the vehicle we noticed that the rear appeared to be sitting obviously lower than the front, and moreover the front didn't appear to be any lower than stock (approximately 27-3/4"). Using a tape measure we were able to confirm that the rear of the vehicle was in fact sitting lower than the front by approximately 1/2". Having installed springs before, both my father and I decided that it was nothing to worry about and that it probably had to do with spring rate, so we decided to let it settle for a while before getting too concerned.
Flashing forward approximately two months and around 1,500 miles later, the car was quite obviously not sitting properly. A formal measurement on level ground indicated that the car was sitting right around 26-1/2" in the rear and approximately 27-1/4" in the front; far from the advertised 1.8" drop in the front but close to the advertised 1.2" drop in the rear. Finding this rather peculiar, I reached out to B&G Suspension to address my concerns. In discussing the issue with B&G, the representative requested that I measure the vehicle on level ground at all four corners and take pictures of each measurement.
After around a week of waiting for a reply to my email with pictures demonstrating the problem, I gave in and called B&G Suspension to check the status of my inquiry. The same representative answered the phone and informed me that he had sent the pictures to his tech and was waiting to hear back, but mentioned in passing that "they have sold several of these springs, and nobody else has complained." The representative then suggested that I may have incorrectly installed the springs and asked me if I had trimmed the bump stops up front to the "first line". I informed him that I believed everything to have been installed correctly according to GM procedures and specifications but mentioned that I had not trimmed the bump stops. We agreed that I would disassemble the struts and trim the bump stops just incase for some reason they were preventing the car from settling properly.
As requested I set aside another Saturday morning to pull the car apart. After trimming the bump stops and reassembling/reinstalling the front struts (again following the General Motors procedure) I was not at all surprised to discover that the vehicles height up front had in no way changed. Frustrated but content that we had tried everything we could, I called the representative back at B&G to let him know the result and hopefully find a solution. When I spoke to the representative, I was informed that he was having another technician look at the pictures, but that in his not so humble opinion "the car appears to be sitting like it should." Frustrated I asked the representative how he could possible say that when measurements and pictures dictate that the car is quite obviously not sitting anywhere near the advertised drop over stock and is clearly lower in the rear. At this point we were both getting frustrated and the representative informed me again that he was going to have his technician look at the pictures. I then asked him if it was possible that these front springs were incorrect or defective and if he would be willing to send me a new set of fronts to try, his exact words were "what if those don't work right, then were back to square one." At this point the conversation ended and I was informed that he would get in touch with me "if" he had an answer. I attempted another call recently to no avail and have not heard back from him since.
While I am not suggesting that everyones experience is my own, I find it disappointing to say the least that B&G Suspension has both little faith in their own product and a resounding unwillingness to support their customers when the product fails. All in all I am out approximately $250 on a set of lowering springs that failed to do what they were advertised to do. I have instead decided to proceed with the already proven Eibach lowering springs and am hoping for the best, they should be arriving this week. I thank you again for reading this post and urge you as consumers to think twice before purchasing from B&G Suspension.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Hmmmmmm
The Pedders suspension had this EXACT same issue, and I was able to get on the horn with the President of US Sales and get this resolved. I would keep pressing on with B&G, try moving up the chain somehow.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I dont see why they cant have you send back the fronts and give you a new set. :question: They should atleast take it back to check if its defective or not.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont see why they cant have you send back the fronts and give you a new set. :question: They should atleast take it back to check if its defective or not.
I completely agree, if the company had faith in their product and was willing to be accountable for potential defects I believe they would do this; but in this instance it has become quite obvious that the company is for whatever reason unwilling to back their product.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmmm
The Pedders suspension had this EXACT same issue, and I was able to get on the horn with the President of US Sales and get this resolved. I would keep pressing on with B&G, try moving up the chain somehow.
I would love nothing more than to escalate the issue but the company appears to be small despite their large product line... Every time I call or email, be it sales or technical support, the same guy answers and he appears to be the be all end all and is more than willing to interrupt and hang up with you mid sentence.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I would love nothing more than to escalate the issue but the company appears to be small despite their large product line... Every time I call or email, be it sales or technical support, the same guy answers and he appears to be the be all end all and is more than willing to interrupt and hang up with you mid sentence.

This thread will interest you then.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-wheels-tires-suspension/4489-news-regarding-pedders-springs.html

They had the same issue as you, and they got the springs replaced... Mention this.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune with B&G and I agree with you about this matter. A company should stand by their product to insure that all customers have a great experience on buying and enjoying their product with no worries. Granted there are going to be some defective items along the way but I had a company I would rather bite the bullet to send the customer a new batch of springs and let them return the defective product to see what is wrong with "this" particular item. Yeah I would lose money in the process but I can rest happy knowing that a customer got resolved with their problem and would tell a friend or anyone about their experience.

·
Registered
579 Posts
And you should have no problem with Eibach most of the users here have zero problems with them.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Well, one advantage with a small company is the climb to the top is usually not very long. I would be really surprised if the owner supported his employees' lack of interest in your issue. If you can't get in touch with anyone other than the same guy, try finding a company who sells their product and ask them if they can give you their sales rep's contact info. That might help you get another number to call and hopefully someone who will help you out, hopefully with a refund at this point.

If you get the Eibachs and are happy with them, make sure you do up a nice thread (or add to this one) and post pics showing the problematic B+G springs and the new Eibach set up. Then email a link to B+G so they can see where their poor customer service got them WRT their image on the forum.

If they sold you a defective product they should be JUMPING at the chance to correct the issue, not ignoring you hoping you'll go away. In the age of the internet no company should take that route and expect no one will hear about it.

Just a note about springs "settling" after install. I think this is largely an old wive's tale. I've lowered several vehicles, and after installing the springs I always take a quick spin around the block, hit the gas and brakes a few times, saw the steering wheel back and forth, and then park it and check it out. In my experience, my Cruze lowered on Eibachs included, this is all the time/driving required to "settle" the springs. I've noticed and measured no difference in how the car sits after the first 5 minute drive is complete. If a car is "settling" (or a better term - sagging) after that, there's probably something wrong with the springs.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Will definitely avoid their products. I've always been partial to H&R for lowering/handling springs. Their "race" kits are usually a bit aggressive but work awesome in the corners.

I would have lost it when asked to trim the bump stops that the car is not even close to touching on their worthless springs.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bump.

Thought it might be time to revive this thread for any new members considering lowering.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: mcg75
1 - 20 of 27 Posts