Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what everyone thinks about buying a 2012 Cruze LT from a dealership that was leased.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'd want to see the maintenance records - all of them. I'd also ask for a carfax report on the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd want to see the maintenance records - all of them. I'd also ask for a carfax report on the car.
There are two that I`m looking at, both around 25k miles and the asking price is 13k. One has carfax and it checks out and the other one has autocheck that also checks out as far as being clean of any accidents,etc. Although one had a fuel pump relay replaced.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,095 Posts
Beyond the carfax and maintenance records, it wouldn't make me too uncomfortable being a lease, as long as it wasn't coming back from a rental fleet or similar use. My Jeep was a returned lease, and it's been a great vehicle - purchased almost 9 years ago with 31,000 and now nearing 117,000 with nothing but regular maintenance and a couple of faulty sensors to replace. Same for my Wife's van - 6 years and approaching 135,000, after I purchased it with 48,000, and I haven't done anything but regular maintenance and a wiring harness in one of the sliding doors. Motor, Trans, body on both cars are perfect, and only issues on the horizon are some suspension work and wear/tear parts (tailgate supports, brakes, etc.)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Should be fine if driven by a little old lady from Pasadena. Typically leased vehicles are fine and have to be driven carefully driven or the leaser will get creamed.

Now, vehicles from rental vehicle agencies.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beyond the carfax and maintenance records, it wouldn't make me too uncomfortable being a lease, as long as it wasn't coming back from a rental fleet or similar use. My Jeep was a returned lease, and it's been a great vehicle - purchased almost 9 years ago with 31,000 and now nearing 117,000 with nothing but regular maintenance and a couple of faulty sensors to replace. Same for my Wife's van - 6 years and approaching 135,000, after I purchased it with 48,000, and I haven't done anything but regular maintenance and a wiring harness in one of the sliding doors. Motor, Trans, body on both cars are perfect, and only issues on the horizon are some suspension work and wear/tear parts (tailgate supports, brakes, etc.)
Ill keep that in mind. The only thing that has me questioning it is that its $2,000 cheaper compared to other cars. Which the cheaper price is better in my case But it just makes me question the quality of what im buying

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I am leasing a car right now and trust me, we make sure we treat these cars like god so when time is up to trade it in i don't get suprise charges lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both cars are from dealerships, Would it be wise to take it to another mechanic to have it inspected?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Both cars are from dealerships, Would it be wise to take it to another mechanic to have it inspected?
I was just about to say that. When I bought my used cars, I had my mechanic check them over first.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,095 Posts
There are two that I`m looking at, both around 25k miles and the asking price is 13k. One has carfax and it checks out and the other one has autocheck that also checks out as far as being clean of any accidents,etc. Although one had a fuel pump relay replaced.
Ever since my Pontiac, I've become very skeptical of the reliability of Carfax reports. It had a clean Carfax report and 2 owners. Eventually, when chasing my electronic throttle issue, I was taking the dash apart to find a wiring harness connector, and I discovered water spotting inside of the dash. A look back at the carfax revealed it had been registered in the Cedar Rapids, IA area during the summer of 2008 - when Iowa flood of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was happening. I'm confident that that car had been flooded, but not reported as such, and that all the electrical issues I had to deal with were a result of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just about to say that. When I bought my used cars, I had my mechanic check them over first.
My only problem is that the car is at a dealership that's an hour and a half away. Actually went to my local dealership to look at one but they wouldn't budge on the price

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I bought a leased vehicle from Toyota. Besides being 50k more miles, and 10k cheaper than a new one, the car ended up being one of the best vehicles I have owned.

Most dealers will have a certification program, and certify a used vehicle with a small warranty, like 3months or a year. Buying a car off lease is like buying any other used vehicle. Someone else owned it, and you will get a vehicle that is indicative of the previous owners treatment of that car.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Since they both are still in factory warranty (3/36) and you don't see any repaired damage (bring a car savvy friend) I see nothing to fear.
I would give consideration to a GMPP (GM EXT. warranty) that mirrors the powertrain coverage or more for a piece of mind thing.
One of our members just had a heater controller failure.....over 500.00 to repair.
They all are machines....piece of mind is a good thing.

Good luck decision making!
Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the dealer I just talked to finally got back with me and there was essentially no maintenance records on the car, that turned me away... but I found a chevy cruze 2012 1LT on craiglists for 14985 with 16k miles and it has the extended warranty, I can also tell that the seller meticulously took care of it. the only thing is someone else has made an offer on it. But lets say I do get, What are some things I should be looking for when i go to look at it other then the obvious things as far as cosmetics, chips,scratches,dings,dents,etc.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Well the dealer I just talked to finally got back with me and there was essentially no maintenance records on the car, that turned me away... but I found a chevy cruze 2012 1LT on craiglists for 14985 with 16k miles and it has the extended warranty, I can also tell that the seller meticulously took care of it. the only thing is someone else has made an offer on it. But lets say I do get, What are some things I should be looking for when i go to look at it other then the obvious things as far as cosmetics, chips,scratches,dings,dents,etc.
Transfer the ext. warranty 25.00, get the oil changed and the tires rotated.....have the shop verify the cooling system has no concerns, and enjoy the car.

Some Cruzen had to have the HVAC box changed because the grease on the air door hinges was stinking up the car....applies to 2011/2012, and about half of 2013.
So, other than a few more water pumps than expected and the oder from the heater, these have been very reliable cars.

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Transfer the ext. warranty 25.00, get the oil changed and the tires rotated.....have the shop verify the cooling system has no concerns, and enjoy the car.

Some Cruzen had to have the HVAC box changed because the grease on the air door hinges was stinking up the car....applies to 2011/2012, and about half of 2013.
So, other than a few more water pumps than expected and the oder from the heater, these have been very reliable cars.

Rob
Thanks for the Info! He did mention in the add that he just did oil and tire rotation. I also asked if he had to have anything done to it as far as warranty and he just mentioned a brake pad change and small squeak that was resolved

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Good luck with it, and hopefully you'll be in a Cruze soon!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Should be fine if driven by a little old lady from Pasadena. Typically leased vehicles are fine and have to be driven carefully driven or the leaser will get creamed.

Now, vehicles from rental vehicle agencies.........
I'm not sure I'd want a car driven by the Little Old Lady from Pasadena. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts