Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a used cruze and wanted to know any specific year, detail, or mileage to avoid or to look for. Currently looking at a 2016 1.4 ecotech automatic with 85,000 miles

It will be used as a commuter to drive 120 miles a day mostly all interstate. Any advice or information would be great

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,737 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Is it a Generation 1 Body Style or Generation 2 Body Style? 2016 was a split year.

The different body styles (Generations) have completely different 1.4L engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's the second generation 2LT car. I'm assuming the second generation would be the better of the two with needed "updates" to issues?

I'm also seeing several underboost issues with the 1.4 cars. Would anyone recommend going with the 1.8 over the 1.4? Hoping to get around 200k on the odometer before getting rid of it

I'm not looking for performance just a work commuter to keep miles off my Silverado and better mileage.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used to have a GEN 1 2012 1.4 LTZ that I daily drove mostly highway for 125 miles round trip roughly. There was some turbo lag at town speeds but on the highway the little turbo was awake and was responsive, or at least as responsive as 138 HP can be. We bought it at 12,000 miles and traded it in at 190,000 miles.

I could typically see 28 - 30 MPG combined with a heavy foot. I ran the highway at 75 - 85 MPH

My repair history to the best of my memory"
  • It had the 18" Michelins on it and I got 80,000 miles per set. Last (3rd) set of tires I put on were Continentals. Very good and less money than Michelins
  • AC repair before 100,000 miles. Failed tubing that connects to the condenser, not a common problem. Repaired myself because the labor price would have been crazy. Take the front bumper cover off and support the engine to take the passenger side motor mount out to get the hose / tubing out from under it.
  • Front brakes lasted 125,000 miles; rear were never replaced at 190,000 when I traded it in.
  • Evap canister solenoid
  • Serpentine belt around 150,000 miles. This is not a simple change like most cars because you have to remove the engine mount to get the belt out
  • AC compressor lost a mounting bolt. Took quite some time to find that rattle but a cheap fix
  • New battery somewhere along the way
  • Spark plugs as needed. Broke the coil removing it wrong, added cost. Another time I ripped the holy hell out of a boot and was kicking myself for not saving the old boots. Junkyard coil because I could not find a source for just the boots. Now I have a spare coil for my daughters Cruze.
  • PCV failed 2X, replaced the valve cover as a result both times. There is a PCV fix available on the forum now.
  • Transmission cooler lines leaked so i had those replaced.
  • Normal fluid changes, I followed the oil life monitor so I changed oil about every 7,500 miles or so. Trans at 95,000 and then again at 150,000. I was gonna change again at 200,000 but traded it in.

It was starting to make abstract art on the garage floor from a few leaks and I wanted a new ride so we traded it in for almost the same fuel economy and AWD supercharged 300 HP

We liked the car but I wanted more comfort and luxury for my commute. When it was time to replace our daughters car I had no worries picking up another Cruze for her to drive. We found it a very reliable car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
EDIT: O/P found it was a Gen1 car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Piston issues, intake piping coming loose (underboost) are a couple problems the early Gen2 1.4 had.
Piston issues? I'm very mechanically inclined so I'm not too worried of intake piping or PCV issues since there seems to be fixes for them but this is a first for piston issues

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
Piston issues? I'm very mechanically inclined so I'm not too worried of intake piping or PCV issues since there seems to be fixes for them but this is a first for piston issues

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the information. Lots to read on that...
Yep, consensus seems to be use a high quality full synthetic oil, and premium gas to help to avoid it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Is it a Generation 1 Body Style or Generation 2 Body Style? 2016 was a split year.

The different body styles (Generations) have completely different 1.4L engines.
Just got the photos of the car and it's definitely the 1st generation cruze

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
Just got the photos of the car and it's definitely the 1st generation cruze
Ok. For a gen 1 Cruze your going to need to watch the PCV system which includes the intake manifold. Read these to learn more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know. Looks like there's a good fix out there for it. Do the first gens have the number one piston issues that the second gen DI ones have? Looking to see which one would have more longevity over the other

Also, is it needed to run premium fuel regardless of the generation? Around here it's mainly 87/89/91 but if 89/91 is needed then that factors in on my commuter choice

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
Good to know. Looks like there's a good fix out there for it. Do the first gens have the number one piston issues that the second gen DI ones have? Looking to see which one would have more longevity over the other

Also, is it needed to run premium fuel regardless of the generation? Around here it's mainly 87/89/91 but if 89/91 is needed then that factors in on my commuter choice
Not needed, but recommended. No they don't really have that piston issue.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, if its actually a Gen1, disregard my previous post. Fix the PCV with one of the kits sold here (might have to replace the valve cover too), then check cooling system over and fix whats needed. There's a thread on here about running a cooler t-stat, which will help keep things alive longer. Change out the fluids, esp transmission. Keep a good maintenance schedule on these cars.
Then its just normal stuff like hubs, brakes, etc. Most repairs on these cars are easy and the parts aren't very expensive.

Most people here recommend premium fuel for the 1.4 cars, but owners manual says 87 is ok. I never saw much diff running either in our Gen1. Your results may vary, so make your own choice on that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Piston issues, intake piping coming loose (underboost) are a couple problems the early Gen2 1.4 had.

Is that a gen 1 or a gen 2 problem though? Sounds like gen 2 specific. On both of our gen 1s I never put premium into our past and current gen 1 as its marked in the owners manual for 87 octane

·
Registered
299 Posts
Is that a gen 1 or a gen 2 problem though? Sounds like gen 2 specific. On both of our gen 1s I never put premium into our past and current gen 1 as its marked in the owners manual for 87 octane
Gen2. The first posts in this thread were relating it to Gen2 issues, then the O/P found it was actually a Gen1. Darn 2016s....

ON EDIT: Edited the related post to remove the reply.

Reactions: Valpo Cruze

·
Registered
329 Posts
@thebac, maybe just go back and edit to say look for this if gen 2. Some of these concerns can't be expressed enough. JMHO, but I feel its better to be mentioned more because it will come up in a future search.

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts

If I remember correctly, the 11's and 12's, had issues with piston rings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking at buying a used cruze and wanted to know any specific year, detail, or mileage to avoid or to look for. Currently looking at a 2016 1.4 ecotech automatic with 85,000 miles

It will be used as a commuter to drive 120 miles a day mostly all interstate. Any advice or information would be great
My advice honestly would to be sure you want a Cruze. These cars have many problems and I think they are discontinued now. I have a 2014 with 70000 miles and it’s a headache

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
Yeah get a honda or toyota

Reactions: Wesley30021
1 - 20 of 24 Posts