Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Buying experience, am I crazy?

4887 Views 41 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Ajn
So I am in the process of buying a Cruze. Long story short is that I went into the dealer and worked with a salesman to find the car I wanted. He tells me that it isn't at the dealer but they can bring it in and I should probably have it the same day. Three days later I am still waiting for the car to be transferred (from a dealer a few miles away). I filled out all the paperwork to get the car but just haven't signed and taken delivery for the car. I have no obligation to buy it until I take delivery. I've talked with the salesman a bunch of times, to get an update I always have to call him, and he always has another story about why it got delayed.

Finally last night he found another one that he could get sooner with more options and I would get the same price that we agreed on for the other one. This one is also not at his dealer. He told me he would know more this morning and would call me. Well he never called me. I called him and left a voicemail and have not received a call back and it is three hours later.

I found the dealer that has the car I want, how sleezy is it for me to just go to that dealer and purchase it from them? I really liked my car salesman up to the point that he dropped the ball on getting me the car. The only thing I am really worried about is that I already filled out all the paper work to buy the car, I just have to look over the car and confirm I want it and the sale is complete. Can they screw me over if I just say I don't want it anymore without even looking at? I really don't want it to come to this, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this whole experience now, and I don't want this feeling to be tied to an experience that should be exciting and fun.

The wait isn't the bad part, it is the fact that I am constantly being told one thing, and then it changes. I feel like I am being mislead, or there is some issue with the car and when I do get it, it will be molested or have issues. Basically I don't think I am getting the whole story and I'm starting to get a bad feeling about the whole deal. I'd much rather work with the dealership that actually has the car.

Am I being crazy here thinking this isn't a good way to do business? Why is it taking three days to transfer a car from another dealership that is 5-10 miles away? Why can't they give me a specific time that it should be ready? Why is this salesman now trying to get me to go with a different car?

I am ready to buy this car, do they really not want the sale? It seems they don't even care if they sell this car. I've heard of others who ordered cars getting their delivery dates pushed back months, but this car is sitting on a lot less than 10 miles from me.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I was at the Chevy Dealership and watched them re route a Car Carrier so a guy could buy the Silverado on it. Your original dealer could have done an area inventory search for you within minutes? You could have done pretty much the same. I'd buy the Car you like today!

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was at the Chevy Dealership and watched them re route a Car Carrier so a guy could buy the Silverado on it. Your original dealer could have done an area inventory search for you within minutes? You could have done pretty much the same. I'd buy the Car you like today!
The dealer did do an inventory search and found the car I wanted at another dealer. I could have just left at that point and gone and bought the car from the other dealer. I didn't because the salesman was extremely nice and very helpful. When he told me they could transfer that car to their dealer and I could have it that day I figured there would be no issues with that. Now I see that was a mistake.

I could have done the search myself at home, you are correct, but I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted, and this dealer had a different car I was interested in, but I ended up changing my mind after test driving it.

I am just trying to get an outside perspective on this situation.

· Registered
157 Posts
Always a tough call I think. Just because there is a vehicle at another dealer doesn't mean the other dealer is willing to give it up. Also its easy for the salesperson to say a couple or three days, but the reality of getting runner or whatever may be quite different. I heard the 3 or 4 days thing but it was more like a week or so (vehicle was only 120 miles away or so). I think I would give it a few more days to see what happens

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the sales manager just now and I'm hoping to get some answers when he calls back. I still want this dealer to get the sale as they really did treat me extremely well. But in the end I have to look out for me. Although I'm not sure I want to deal with a dealer who doesn't care enough about the customer to transfer a car to another dealer just so they can hold on to it and hope to sell it. But if they can't work something out then they are both going to lose out I guess.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Most dealers don't do local trades with each other so it sounds like the dealer that has the Cruze you want won't give it up.
This has been my experience over the last several cars I've purchased. There was an exact match to the car I wanted at another local dealer (in fact I had a competitive quote from them), but my salesman got the car we purchased from a dealer 60 miles away. Fine with me, as the car had been sitting in the the small town dealership showroom for a few months. The other local one had been sitting out in their back lot for some time. Patience should be the watchword when making a large purchase like a car. Worry as much about the after sale service as that will last a lot longer than the sales transaction.

Reactions: Patman and grs1961

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I would give the dealer a final chance, if he can't produce your car, then I don't think he is interested in making the sale. My Cruze is gone but when I replaced it, I wanted a manual transmission BMW 320i with the sport option. Three dealers e-mailed me. The dealer I went to found two cars meeting my requirements in the Northeast. I'm in NY. One in Delaware, one in Maryland. The Delaware dealer would not give up the car, so my dealer ended up getting the car from Maryland. My car was ready and waiting for me to trade in my Cruze. Very happy with the dealer and very pleased with the car. Getting a new BMW with a Manual Transmission is a challenge.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This has been my experience over the last several cars I've purchased. There was an exact match to the car I wanted at another local dealer (in fact I had a competitive quote from them), but my salesman got the car we purchased from a dealer 60 miles away. Fine with me, as the car had been sitting the the small town dealership showroom for a few months. The other local one had been sitting out in their back lot for some time. Patience should be the watchword when making a large purchase like a car. Worry as much about the after sale service as that will last a lot longer than the sales transaction.
I am okay with being patient. BUT, I don't like to be led on. Tell me the truth, be straight with me, and you get my business. If you say Monday at the latest, and I have to call you at 8pm on Monday asking what is up, then that is an issue for me. I just like to be kept in the loop.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Dealers do these swaps all the time. Something else is going on here. Are both dealerships in the same state? Cross state dealership exchanges are tricky due to different state laws but within one state it should be as simple as the salesman going and getting the car.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would give the dealer a final chance, if he can't produce your car, then I don't think he is interested in making the sale. My Cruze is gone but when I replaced it, I wanted a manual transmission BMW 320i with the sport option. Three dealers e-mailed me. The dealer I went to found two cars meeting my requirements in the Northeast. I'm in NY. One in Delaware, one in Maryland. The Delaware dealer would not give up the car, so my dealer ended up getting the car from Maryland. My car was ready and waiting for me to trade in my Cruze. Very happy with the dealer and very pleased with the car. Getting a new BMW with a Manual Transmission is a challenge.
It seems to be a challenge finding a Cruze in manual. Most dealers ONLY have automatic down here. This is actually the whole reason why I am having this issue. You would think this dealer would be happy to get a manual off their lot since it seems like everyone wants automatics.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealers do these swaps all the time. Something else is going on here. Are both dealerships in the same state? Cross state dealership exchanges are tricky due to different state laws but within one state it should be as simple as the salesman going and getting the car.

Both dealers are in the same state. They are about 10 miles from each other. I found the exact car that the dealer said they would get me, on the other dealers website. My salesman even emailed me the same pictures this other dealer has on their website. The salesman never gave me a straight answer about why it was taking so long though. No call back from the sales manager yet. We shall see.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Go to the other dealership.

· Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Both dealers are in the same state. They are about 10 miles from each other. I found the exact car that the dealer said they would get me, on the other dealers website. My salesman even emailed me the same pictures this other dealer has on their website. The salesman never gave me a straight answer about why it was taking so long though. No call back from the sales manager yet. We shall see.
I've never had a dealer even consider to try and do a local trade my dealer just offered to just order the car I wanted.

· Registered
333 Posts
Sometimes it's tough getting a dealer to trade. When we were looking for the wife our dealer didn't have any 13's so they were going to get it from another dealer in the area. They didn't really want to give it up. So after a day or two of trying to get the car. We ended up getting a 14 for the same price and deals!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
2,063 Posts
Id say if you have a bad feeling to go elsewhere. I had 3 dealers trying to get me to buy and somehow 1 talked me into leaving a $200 deposit. When I got a lower price from the other dealer I asked for them to match it or I would not be buying from them. They told me since I left a deposit that I had settled at there price. At that point I requested the deposit refunded and went to dealer with lower price.

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
It seems to be a challenge finding a Cruze in manual. Most dealers ONLY have automatic down here.
Yeah my Sales Advisor said he is in charge of inventory for the Dealership I bought my car from. He informed me that this dealership never orders for inventory any Manual cars. In fact if some one were to order one, they would likely be fired. Additionally any off lease cars that are manuals are not wanted at this dealership, so yes a manual BMW at least where I live is difficult to find. The 8speed ZF auto is so good, lots of hard core Manual Trans drivers are won over. The 8 speed is faster to 60 and gets better fuel economy.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well still no call back. Something must be seriously wrong (or the other dealer isn't playing ball). Either way I think I've decided to kill the deal if no progress is made by close of business today. Tomorrow I'll start fresh with the dealer that has the car I want. If that goes South then who knows, maybe it wasn't meant to be.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.