Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a diesel sedan for commuting. A new 2nd gen is tempting, but unproven and $25k or so. I have seen several used 1st gen diesels for sale ranging from about $10k to &18k with anything from 25k to 80k miles. The internet tells me the 1st gen can be a hassle with the emissions equipment.

If you've owned a 1st gen diesel, especially if you have driven it past 100k, I'd like your thoughts on the pros and cons of the 1st gen. Is it worth looking at used, or are they too troublesome? I am no stranger to DIY repairs, and no stranger to diesels (although my 1987 300D is vastly different than the modern variety of diesels...).

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
One word: Warranty.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
One word: Warranty.
The 2014/2015 was sold with a 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. However I don't think it covers a number of the issues that have arisen. There's also a 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper. If that's still in force, you just take the car to the dealer and tell them fix it.

Note that the clock starts with the initial sale, not when it was made.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I bought mine back in April as a CPO with only 4100 miles on it so I have 4/48k bumper to bumper from the original sale date on the 2015. I have close to 20k on it now without any problems!

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I would buy the gen 2 over a used gen 1. I have a gen 1 I bought with 3700 miles, never been serviced prior to me buying car. Hate to say but I just wouldn't buy a used gen 1. I have had ZERO problems and love the car, on a tank of fuel right now I think I could get very close to 1000 miles on. I love my car and I won't sell it while it performs like it has for last 24k miles. Only thing that would cause me to want to sell it is I am having problems. Maybe if you. Us a gen 2 get extended warranty but only if it covers everything on emission system. I wouldn't give a nickel for extended warranty if it doesn't cover emission related issues. Very few folks here have other problems other than emission related issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in California, so I think the state mandates an extension on the emissions warranty past what is normally covered, but I could be wrong. I've always driven out of warranty vehicles and DIY all the repairs. The Gen 1 Cruze diesel seems to have a lot of hard to address issues for the DIY crowd (short of doing a full DPF delete to simplify the system...)

Being in CA this is not an option either, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Get the Generation 2. Gen 1 was very low production and only in the cruze for a couple of model years. The Generation 2 drivetrain will also be used in the Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain so parts availability and mechanic familiarity with the new model should be higher.

Lets not forget Gen 2 gets 3-4MPG higher city and 3-8mpg hwy better than the Gen1. Though Gen 2 is less powerful it actually makes more power per cubic inch than the Gen 1.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,880 Posts
I'm in California, so I think the state mandates an extension on the emissions warranty past what is normally covered, but I could be wrong. I've always driven out of warranty vehicles and DIY all the repairs. The Gen 1 Cruze diesel seems to have a lot of hard to address issues for the DIY crowd (short of doing a full DPF delete to simplify the system...)

Being in CA this is not an option either, unfortunately.
The problem is, the emissions warranty doesn't really apply to the DEF/SCR/DPF system.

Personally, if I were to buy a used 1st gen, it would be with the sole intention of deleting it the second I had any issues. If I was buying one with a CEL (assuming for a lot less), I'd be ordering the delete parts as I was buying the car.

I've considered it before - but I'd get a 2nd gen at this point, especially with the fuel economy figures.

Reactions: Cudrowjr

·
Registered
130 Posts
The issue I see with gen 2: new chassis and new engine.

You know what you're getting with a Gen 1 due to the resources on this board.

DIY maintenance is a pain in these cars but I'm used to 1st Gen Cummins with a pool sized under hood room and an engine the size of a giant turd.

The oil filter is best done with the passenger wheel off and the fuel filter needs the car jacked up enough for you to roll under it.

Beyond that, most of it seems very straight forward

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
How long do you plan on keeping it? My gen 1 has been awesome. However the gen 2 is a nice car with better mpg and isn't that why you want a diesel anyway? Go with the gen 2 for a couple thousand more and definitely put some thought into the extended warranty.

If you didn't live in California or another emissions state than I would suggest the gen 1 with delete.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Go gen 2 and hope they worked out some of the issues, which I am sure they at least tried to.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I don't think this is the first year for that engine, and not really the first run for that chassis (2Gen Cruze) either. That should keep the risk down.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
The oil filter is best done with the passenger wheel off and the fuel filter needs the car jacked up enough for you to roll under it.
That's not been my experience. http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/169-...ibrary/40489-cruze-diesel-oil-change-diy.html

And to the OP: Here is a detailed account of mine with 200K miles. I still use it regularly and it runs great, fully stock.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...91746-200k-miles-2014-chevy-cruze-diesel.html

That being said, it really depends on your budget. If you get a used gen 1, make sure it has a good track record first.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I said best done. I tried from the top, I had more area to lean on my wrench to break it loose from the wheel.area.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,880 Posts
I don't recall jacking the car up to change the fuel filter. Plenty of room underneath to reach it and remove/install it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I did my fuel filter on my hoist. 100% the easiest way. Also did the oil filter that way, also the easiest because the wheel can stay on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To answer a few of the questions here -- I would plan to keep it for the long haul. I would like to see 300k out of it, honestly. My current DD has 233k and I plan to rack up at least that much on whatever vehicle I purchase to replace it. Budget is not as much of an issue as is availability at dealers and the dependability of the whole vehicle overall.

I guess my reasoning for looking at diesels is is 1.) Better fuel economy and 2.) Increased vehicle life and lower maintenance costs over the lifetime of the vehicle.

It's beginning to look like reason #2 may not be as valid now as it was in 20 years ago (without doing a delete...), however. I was more or less unfamiliar with all the issues with modern diesels until I started lurking here a year ago or so.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts