Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
10,705 Posts
Could you be hearing the brake booster vacuum pump? Ignition on/engine off pump the brakes a couple times and the vacuum pump will cycle. New recall on the micro switch that controls the pump. Can cause an intermittent hard pedal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Recall is on auto trans and us manuals have this as sound as well. 31*F is too cold for a/c compressor to kick on so it's not that either. It's cooling

·
Registered
100 Posts
that sounds like my new my14 jh sri-v car turbo 1.6L.

I believe if its the turbo its the cooling making sure the turbo does not overheat and damage. It may go on and off over a while until the whole intercooler and turbo have cooled down. its a little pump circulating coolant.

remember the timers that trucks/cars had to run the engine and cool down before the engine could be stopped to stop overheating. I rechon its the same thing, just quieter.

MInsik

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 1LT did not make this buzzing noise.
My new 2014 diesel Cruze clearly makes this buzzing.
The car was sitting in the garage cooled off and we were opening the doors and trunk when we noticed it. It seems to me to be something in the alarm system... seems to be coming from an electrical box on top of the battery.

OK, I can duplicate it by opening a door, closing the hood or anything tied into the electrical system. It runs for 20-40 seconds depending on what trips it. It shuts off with a "click."
Using an old mechanic's trick I used a stick placed up to my ear touching the other end to various parts under the hood. There's a black box on top of the battery with electrical stuff in it. I'm not an electrical engineer and don't know what all of those things are in that box. I'm guessing it's the retained power or the alarm system. It also may be something else that's in contact with the battery.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... 20-40 seconds or so... "click"... then it's off.

Someone with a service manual might be able to see what's in this box that might be causing it... or something transferring the sound to this box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 1LT did not make this buzzing noise.
My new 2014 diesel Cruze clearly makes this buzzing.
The car was sitting in the garage cooled off and we were opening the doors and trunk when we noticed it. It seems to me to be something in the alarm system... seems to be coming from an electrical box on top of the battery.

OK, I can duplicate it by opening a door, closing the hood or anything tied into the electrical system. It runs for 20-40 seconds depending on what trips it. It shuts off with a "click."
Using an old mechanic's trick I used a stick placed up to my ear touching the other end to various parts under the hood. There's a black box on top of the battery with electrical stuff in it. I'm not an electrical engineer and don't know what all of those things are in that box. I'm guessing it's the retained power or the alarm system. It also may be something else that's in contact with the battery.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... 20-40 seconds or so... "click"... then it's off.

Someone with a service manual might be able to see what's in this box that might be causing it... or something transferring the sound to this box.
It is the vacuum pump for the PB booster if you have an auto trans.

Sent from my S3

·
10,705 Posts
It is the vacuum pump for the PB booster if you have an auto trans.

Sent from my S3
Maybe this is a different sound then. Since my last post I had the sound come back then started the car up and it never left. I had just overtaken a car aggressively before parking it a minute later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just because it makes a noise dosent make it broken. If you start unplugging unknown components your just going to screw things up. How is a technician supposed to diagnose a car that has owner induced dtc,s set in it. Drive it and enjoy. If it truly is broken you will get a warning lamp and it will be easy to diagnose and repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping that this thread is still alive and monitored, have a question on the "buzzing" sound (see vid in post #174).
Exactly the same sound that I have in my 2012 LS 1.8L 6 speed manual. Service Department Advisor could not hear, therefor not having any idea. "Bring it back and leave it for a few days".
Question: Since so many people have it, wether they know it's a problem or not, will it do any damage ignoring it?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I know the problem, you officially have the only cruze in the world with air suspension. So congratulations because we are all jealous of you lol:eusa_clap:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Im not sure if this has already been said but you can turn your key on and off and the sound will stop. Definitely something with the air conditioning. U can here this sound with car running and air conditioning on. Sometimes when you shut the car off the sound will remain on. Turning the key to the on position and back to off will make the sound stop

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi topchop,

I'm sorry to hear of the buzzing noise that your experience in your Cruze and I can only imagine how frustrating this might be. I understand that you have taken your vehicle to your dealership and they were unable to duplicate the noise. I am unable to provide technical advice, but if any extra assistance is needed with your concern we can certainly contact your dealership on your behalf and discuss this further. Please private message us your VIN, mileage and contact information if we can look further into this matter for you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a GM service document for this: #PI1267: High Pitched Whine or Buzz Noise from Engine Compartment After Engine is Turned Off - (Jul 8, 2014)

The fix is a software update for the HVAC module to correct this issue. I had it done to mine a couple of months ago. Never saw this thread before now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is a GM service document for this: #PI1267: High Pitched Whine or Buzz Noise from Engine Compartment After Engine is Turned Off - (Jul 8, 2014)

The fix is a software update for the HVAC module to correct this issue. I had it done to mine a couple of months ago. Never saw this thread before now.
Does it sound like this? I only was able to tape a few seconds of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Reactions: gyrfalcon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys, I work as a mechanic for GM and possibly have a solution for this. I found a PI on my service info page which helps techs out for fixing cars. Does this describe your condition?????

"Some customers may comment on a buzz type noise after the vehicle has been shut off. The noise may be noticed with the A/C on and may last up to 10 minutes after the vehicle is shut off and most often is intermittent. The noise is similar to the sound of a reed valve emitting a fairly constant tone.

The air conditioning refrigerant solenoid valve is not consistently powered down at key off due to variation in drive cycle and emissions monitoring. When the solenoid is operating at a 50 to 60 PWM range and certain conditions are met at key off, it will continue to emit this buzz type noise until the system powers it down."

If so, go to your dealer and see if you can get the HVAC control module updated with the latest software.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much would it cost to get a software update without any warranty?
I would like to know this, too. I`ve had my Cruze in multiple times over the last 3 years on this issue and have never gotten a fix.
My Cruze has this buzzing sound at different times regardless of weather, AC on or off, and when the car is running or just shut off.
Now, the warranty is up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't know why this would be confusing to anybody. The auxiliary water pump is mounted right up by the head to the left of the turbo, as you look at the engine. It is the black thing that the radiator hose is connected to. It runs for whatever amoount of time to keep the turbo from coking oil in the bearings. Not a big deal unless, later on down the line we find that it is a problem. I had one on a Dodge durango for aft heating that let loose. But lets face it: It was a dodge. (Really does not matter, I am sure it was a vendor supplied part, much like this one probably is)
There is no extra water pump.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts