Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Bye Bye OnStar!

Tags
bye onstar
7K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Cruzen Vegas 
#1 ·
So I was a loyal onstar customer for about two years now, Paying $19.99 a month for the Directions and connections package as I go to many customers houses and need Directions Downloaded to my GPS while I drive, its convienant as with the Gps in the Cruze, you have to come to a complete stop to input Directions into the system, so you cant to it while on the fly on the Freeway(obviously a scam to get you to buy onstar, as you don't have to come to a stop to play with the radio, to change volume, treble or bass, and switch the stations!) .....Anyway they now want $35 for the same service! (I found out on my CC statement)... So anyway, for $35, ill ill have to exit the freeway now!

#2 ·
I had a 6 month trial of OnStar and I think I used the directions feature once when I was switching between phones and didn't have GPS. The only features I found myself using were the Remote Unlock and Remote Start from the mobile app which I found out were free features upon expiry of my trial. For the services provided, I found it wasn't worth what they were charging at all. $35 is ridiculous.

#4 ·
Do you have a smart phone? Google navigator works extremely well and doesn't use much data. I used less than 100MB navigating from Denver to New Hampshire and back. Just don't use the areal view.

#5 ·
It used to be the downside of the phone is there were dumb as bricks if you got outside of cell coverage and needed to make a change. But now Google Maps allows you to download an area ahead of time.

#9 ·
Hi Cruzen Vegas,

We apologize and would like to look into this more for you. Please send us an e-mail to our socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar in the subject line. Please include your account number and contact information as well. We will be on the look out for your message soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

#10 ·
I'm a big OnStar user. As with most things, when you commit to buy in bulk your unit price drops considerably. When I purchased for the Cruze I bought four years of service.

Reactions: FlintCruze
#25 · (Edited)
I agree although I don't use it much. Their Customer Service is really good, compared to XM Reps. Directions & Connections is/ was $29.95, not the $19.95 posted here. I'm paying $19.95 monthly for a special year promo adjustment, and they gave me two free months in addition. I don't have a Smartphone & OnStar is my Car phone with hundreds of free minutes they also threw in. When my promo runs out I will try for another promo! I do see they increased pricing to $34.95 although they now include 30 minutes of Phone monthly.

#13 ·
I often think my dislike of On Star is related to my age.

Thoughts:
For starters, I am uncomfortable with anything that has the ability to track my movements.....this includes my cell phone which I manually leave off......I still operate off a land line as my primary communication.
I am quite capable of reading a map and plan trips to unfamiliar destinations in advance.....as I was taught to, long before there was GPS.
I guess it could be useful if I stuff the car but somehow, we got by before On Star existed.....besides, every stroke on the road likely will call someone as they watch me wad it up.
If I decelerate so rapidly it kills my sorry butt......well, speed is no longer the essence now is it.

Anyways, I'm a big boy......I'll get by without a nanny on board.....spare key is my wallet.

As far as the inclusion of On Star on all GM cars......calling a feature 'Standard Equipment' but only works if you subscribe is not much of a feature now is it? Same thoughts apply to XM btw.

On Star.....the inclusion of same, is why there are no GM products on my radar for a new vehicle.....as far as the Cruze, I have modified the system so it can only receive (this so the compass works....I like a compass but still can figure out North, thankyou). It is unable to broadcast......so it can't tell anyone I'm at the 7-11.

Banging on this keyboard is about as high tech as I care to get.......nice and simple for the most part.

In a perfect world, from my point of view, On Star would be a delete option, like it was on my 2004 Monte Carlo.....it came standard but could ordered without.....I ordered without.

Since then, I've purchased four new GM cars with O.S.......but each, even though disabled, leaves me with that nagging, big brother is watching feeling......so, my next purchass won't make me feel that way.
Darn shame though......I've been buying GM new since the early eighties.....spanning over twenty five cars (I get bored).

Rob

#14 ·
on star.....the inclusion of same, is why there are no gm products on my radar for a new vehicle.....as far as the cruze, i have modified the system so it can only receive (this so the compass works....i like a compass but still can figure out north, thankyou). It is unable to broadcast......so it can't tell anyone i'm at the 7-11.
mine is almost up, how did you manage this. I only use cell phones when needed and im training to use ham radio or face to face

#20 ·
Never used my OnStar or XM.

I'm a fan of Waze, but no one else around Iowa seems to use it the way it's intended to be used. At least not in my neighborhood...so my reporting of speed traps hasn't been appreciated. When I travel it works nicely.

Sent with iLove 6.0

#22 ·
I use Waze maps too, people seem to do a pretty decent job in Ohio reporting stuff.

Never tried OnStar and never will. Big Brother already watches me enough.

I do like XM though, nice not having to listen to commercials after every song.

#30 ·
"As far as the inclusion of On Star on all GM cars......calling a feature 'Standard Equipment' but only works if you subscribe is not much of a feature now is it? Same thoughts apply to XM btw."

My thoughts exactly. Calling it standard would mean we can use any time without a fee. They going to start charging for using the tires. They come standard. Better not give them any ideas.

#31 ·
From what I understand, the compass comes from the GPS signal - but any OnStar transmissions has to go back via cell site, so there's probably a number of adaptions that could do the same thing.

#32 ·
Onstar had a couple nice feature...but not worth $19.95 a month to me...and certainly not more.

I like XM...wish it had a higher bit-rate and better sound quality...but it beats regular radio..and I have the MP3's for when I want to listen to something specific at any given time.
But I can't justify anything but the base XM plan as I never listen to the sports channels and its damned expensive....though I really REALLY miss the Fuel prices and directions to the cheapest station in your area wherever you are that isn't on the basic plan ( I think that was XM and not Onstar)...or the traffic and weather alerts though they often came in too late to do any good.

#34 ·
*1 It tracks you but not as good as you think. When I use Family link it's kinda accurate but calling for service the tow guys never find me in the 1st hour.

*2 free remote link is for 2014 and up equip cars.

*3 It's "standard" on most cars. Some literally didn't come with it at all. I'm assuming they were Fleet Use.

*4 I also miss the fuel and movies travel link but didn't feel like the $7 additional was worth it. How can this radio tell me the nearest movie and fuel, yet not tell me how to get there?

*5 I used the OnStar phone because MyLink seems to hate Bluetooth connection with my 6 Plus and Lumia 640 when the 6 Plus was temperamental between software updates.

*6 I used it often just to find nearest store or car wash cause if I'm paying for someone to pick up. that and it's a task to shift gears and try to google on the go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.