Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replace my worn out Perelli Cinturato P7 tires. They were rated for 70,000 miles but were to the wear bars after 52,000 miles. Discount Tire gave me a refund on the other 18,000 miles. When I got them I gave a review at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-g...lli-cinturato-p7-all-season-plus-tires-4.html and for the first 35-40,000 miles this review remains accurate. However, one tire was punctured by road debris about a year and a half ago and the rubber was starting to crack around the repair. Another tire cupped around the 40,000 mile point and as a result my ride got very loud. The biggest issue was the last 10,000 miles - the tires wore from 5/32 to the wear bars in that time. My search for replacements is at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-g...pension/155465-new-lrr-tires-2012-eco-mt.html. This morning I ordered the regular, non GM specific version of the Goodyear FuelMax Assurance tires. They came in and I had them installed.

Final report on the Pirellis:

These tires wore 3/32 in about 10,000 miles. The one cupped tire was so bad that you could actually feel the cupping along the outer edge of the tire. I always ask about final wear to tell me how quickly I need to go get an alignment. The tires showed only pressure related uneven wear, but they showed they had been under inflated - I run my tires at 40 to 50 PSI depending on how I'm feeling when I check the pressure. This, if anything, should have resulted in the inner tread wearing faster. Instead the shoulders, inside and out, were worn more. This is an indication of under-inflation. In this case I suspect it's more of an indication of the trade-offs Pirelli made to improve cornering.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Why the <non-GM TPSEC> version?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the <non-GM TPSEC> version?
The non-GM spec version has better reviews at both Discount Tire and Tire Rack. Also the GM Spec version is slightly narrower, which reduces light snow and ice traction, but not enough narrower to appreciably change dry road handling. I'm hoping the extra width won't impact overall efficiency too much.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,349 Posts
I've heard a lot of people say that they loved the P7's until they were nearly worn out and they got noisy. So far, I'm still pretty happy with them, but the handling has always felt pretty mushy at OEM pressures.

I guess I could say similar things about the FR710 that my car came with (very noisy at the end of their life).

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to run my P7s at a higher pressure to eliminate the mushy feeling. It was a fine line between too mushy and too harsh with them.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
I tried something other than the Fuel Max's, the triple treds on my eco a couple of years ago and after a few weeks I went back and traded the TTs for the fuel Max's with no complaints. I am now at 72 K and been considering various LRR tires but leary of the same results as the TTs. Been considering the Firestone Champions(fuel fighters) or the Conti Pure Contacts( I believe someone here has these also). I know the Eco seems rather particular with the tires put on it so that is why I am with the Fuel Max's.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
The non-GM spec version has better reviews at both Discount Tire and Tire Rack. Also the GM Spec version is slightly narrower, which reduces light snow and ice traction, but not enough narrower to appreciably change dry road handling. I'm hoping the extra width won't impact overall efficiency too much.
I'm guessing that GM knows something that we don't know if they compelled Goodyear to make such a unique tire.

Maybe better aerodynamics?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About the only change Goodyear had to do was make the tread patch half an inch narrower for the GM TCP Spec version of this tire. This also lightened the tire by about three pounds.

·
17,349 Posts
About the only change Goodyear had to do was make the tread patch half an inch narrower for the GM TCP Spec version of this tire. This also lightened the tire by about three pounds.
That, and the tread depth is actually slightly less (common for OEM tires - usually so you'll have to put another set on before your lease is up). That didn't seem to be the case with these though - most went an impressively long distance.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That, and the tread depth is actually slightly less (common for OEM tires - usually so you'll have to put another set on before your lease is up). That didn't seem to be the case with these though - most went an impressively long distance.
Probably the rest of the weight savings - 9/32" for the OEM vs. 10/32" for the generic.

Sometimes I think car manufacturers force tire manufacturers to create OEM tires that are impossible to find aftermarket just to provide their dealerships with a small extra source of income.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I'm guessing that GM knows something that we don't know if they compelled Goodyear to make such a unique tire.
You should ALWAYS avoid the OEM version of a tire as they are always an inferior product to the real version and only typically saves a couple dollars a tire. Compare the specs on tirerack on two tires, you will typically see a lighter tire(not made as well) and in some cases even less tread depth with a OEM version. .

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
When I can buy the Fuel Maxs for @ 115 per at a Goodyear Store in Cinti and the next closest thing is the Champions or the Contis for @ 125 per since I have had good luck with the "Maxs" I see little reason to change. They seem to be good enough for Cinti weather and driving and this 2nd set I have seems to be wearing well so I think buying new tires would be something I would consider doing bc I was bored or felt the need for a change but I am thinking @ another 15-25 K on these. Don't know the first set was worn just afraid of a bad winter with OEMs with @35 K on them after hearing everyone talking about how bad they were in the wet/snow.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,678 Posts
Discount Tire has the GM version of the Fuel Max - was no problem getting one when my wife got a flat in hers a month or so ago.

Winter traction with them is not a concern for us, as we have Xi3s for that time of year.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
You should ALWAYS avoid the OEM version of a tire as they are always an inferior product to the real version and only typically saves a couple dollars a tire. Compare the specs on tirerack on two tires, you will typically see a lighter tire(not made as well) and in some cases even less tread depth with a OEM version. .
I think that we can all agree that ALWAYS is a pretty absolute term.

While I don't doubt that there may be merit to your argument - I do wonder how many cases you've examined to reach your unequivocal conclusion.

·
17,349 Posts

While I don't doubt that there may be merit to your argument - I do wonder how many cases you've examined to reach your unequivocal conclusion.
You're right. I hear the Bugatti Veyron comes with some pretty top-notch tires...GLUED to the rims, no less ;)

On a serious note, most "performance" cars probably have pretty legit tires with a good balance of handling/other characteristics. Maybe still not the *best* on the market, but certainly better than the bargain basement crap they tend to put on everyday mass-produced models.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Just put a set of the P7's on our 2012 Cruze. To me a nice improvement over the F710's Got 38k out of the Firestones.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts

Feel free to take a look yourself, the numbers don't lie. Like I said go compare ANY retail vs OEM tire and you will see there is always some corner cutting going on. My father retired from GM and said its ALWAYS been this way, auto manufactures get the best deal on tires since even $10 difference in price adds up over 150,000+ cars a year.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Feel free to take a look yourself, the numbers don't lie. Like I said go compare ANY retail vs OEM tire and you will see there is always some corner cutting going on. My father retired from GM and said its ALWAYS been this way, auto manufactures get the best deal on tires since even $10 difference in price adds up over 150,000+ cars a year.
I'm sure your father is a great guy (just like you are) but I need to understand his expertise before I can assess his credibility. So for example, did your father work with the folks in the tire lab at GM who come up with the TPSpecs? If not, then what connection did he have with GM and tires?

You say ANY retail tire? So like some Walmart special will ALWAYS be superior to an OEM tire?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the days of assuming that OEM tires are inferior are pretty much over. At this point I think it's a crapshoot. I hated the OEM Goodyear Eagle GTs on my two Fieros - they were worthless with a heavy dew. My Transport, I don't remember so it's was obviously a wash. The Montana had outstanding tires that I never could find again to replace with - Bridgestone made the best tires for it. The OEM tires on my Mitsubishi lasted until I traded the car. The FRS710's on my son's LS MT didn't last very long but I seriously considered putting the OEM version of the Goodyear FuelMax Assurance back on my ECO. I didn't because I wanted the extra patch width when on ice. My wife's Intrepid had OEM Michelins that made the car an absolute danger in the winter - radio flyer sleds have more control. Her current Toyota Solara came with OEM Michelins that also had poor traction compared to the aftermarket tires I've put on for her.

And for those of you who want to reply that retail Michelins are a lot better - I have yet to find a set of Michelins that are worth the rubber they're made out of.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,678 Posts
And for those of you who want to reply that retail Michelins are a lot better - I have yet to find a set of Michelins that are worth the rubber they're made out of.
False.

Pilot Super Sport.
Pilot Sport Cup 2.

:wink:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts