Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been reading and searching the forum but had no luck finding info on this. Has anyone installed one on their 2.0 CTD? I fabbed up a bracket for my amsoil single filter bypass assembly and now I'm looking for info on where to tap into the oiling system. I'd like to locate the oil pressure sending unit to see how difficult it would be to tap there, anyone know where this is? I plan to send the filtered oil back through either a modified oil filler cap or I may drill/tap into the metal area below the filler cap. I have one of these on my cummins and what a difference it made, any thoughts/ideas from the pros here?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Any pics of your amsoil assembly or part#?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
There was a member who installed one and a few other mods. GM invalidated his warranty. He traded it in at a loss on a VW TDI. He got tired of his TDI and traded it in on another CTD. Then he dropped out of here.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I personally don't think it's necessary. My engine has over 152K miles on it and still runs like brand new, with no appreciable oil consumption and 15,000 mile change intervals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It probably is overkill but it was an extra part my uncle had laying around so he gave it to me (filter included) so right now I have $0 in it. I want to switch over to amsoil at my next service but when I called to place my order (9/2014) the tech dept said they don't have a dexos2 approved oil (I read the thread about CTD oils on here as well, nice write up btw) or an oil filter either for our cruzes. So, I guess I'll go with their 5w/30 oil, which one are you guys who use amsoil using?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I use the low SAPS European formula.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
That certification is relatively new, but basically the same oil. i think they may have done this because of the Colorado/Canyon diesel.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That certification is relatively new, but basically the same oil. i think they may have done this because of the Colorado/Canyon diesel.
Ding ding, we have a winner! Just like Pennzoil's 5W-30 Ultra Euro L all of a sudden got a shiny dexos2 badge on the front.

The next part of the ripple effect IMO is the ability to walk into walmart and find a dexos2 certified 5w-30 oil on the shelf from a big name....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys. I also think this will be a good way to add oil capacity (almost 2 quarts) to help lower oil temps and increase my oil change intervals. I find it odd that this engine holds just under 5 quarts of oil (4.75 IIRC), sorry I don't have any part numbers but I plan to take some pics of my progress and eventually post them here.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
All of those mods might make sense on a car out of warranty, these modern engines are quite complicated any mods like that will eliminate a 100k warranty on the drive train. Doesn't make sense this guy. :):):)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I also think this will be a good way to add oil capacity (almost 2 quarts) to help lower oil temps and increase my oil change intervals. I find it odd that this engine holds just under 5 quarts of oil (4.75 IIRC), sorry I don't have any part numbers but I plan to take some pics of my progress and eventually post them here.
Seeing that people are getting great UOA's from 15,000 mi OCI's (double the factory recommended interval) I don't think any of that is needed. Coming from a guy who can be anal retentive about some stuff that's taking it to a whole new level.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, I'd never use any brand of oil beyond 15k, it's just not worth the risk. Also, if this mod is done the way I'm planning, it can be easily removed before taking it in for warranty work. It's just personal preference adding filtration and capacity.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Honestly, I'd never use any brand of oil beyond 15k, it's just not worth the risk. Also, if this mod is done the way I'm planning, it can be easily removed before taking it in for warranty work. It's just personal preference adding filtration and capacity.
I don't think it will hurt anything to install it, that's pretty much a given. What are your long term plans for the car? based on my experience with this engine so far, I think it will go quite a few miles with my 15K changes and no mods. I would not be surprised if the engine goes well past 500K (assuming I keep driving it that long).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, looking forward to some pictures when you're done.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
So for the sake of a free filter you are running the risk of invalidating your warranty? An install that is that easy to remove is just as likely to fail on the road and blow your oil pressure and engine along with it.

Although a cool project to undertake, I am of the view that rather than increasing the protection of your engine you are actually putting it at risk.

Thank your uncle for the free filter. Sell it on eBay and split the difference with him. Let your engine run unmolested to survive another day. That's the wiser thing to do IMHO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks KpaxFAQ, I won't be doing this until my next service which is approx 1k away so maybe sometime in March.

Diesel, I really don't have any long term plans, I just keep my cars for a long time so I figured this would be worth doing.

Tomko, if I hadn't seen first hand what these bypass filters do, I wouldn't bother installing one on my Cruze. These engines are asked to do a lot (breath their own exhaust, push their exhaust through a restrictive dpf, endure higher egts during a regen) all of which wreak havoc on our oil. I change my oil at 4-5k intervals now (been using dealership dexos2 since new) because the oil is too dark for my liking (I know I'm wasting my money). BTW, I can remove the entire bypass filter system (including the -4 an lines and fittings) on my Cummins engine in about 30 minutes and it's been in place for about 10k miles without a single issue. Yes, there's always a risk when you install something like this but if you chose good quality hose, fittings, filters etc. the risk is minimal.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
First Diesel engines make dark oil in about 5 minutes of engine operation. I find it amazing that car/truck owners with little to no experience think they know more than the engineers that built the car and or truck. I find it trying to modify something that isn't even remotely broken. The old saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I wish you much success with your Cruze Diesel. I for one think they are an amazing car!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts