Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellows,

I’m a newbie here. The car is 2013 1.4LT automatic, all stock. I have recently noticed that BSV operated when it should not – when only ignition key is on and the engine is not running. I kept the ignition on for a longer while but BSV never stopped modulating.

The car is still under warranty and I vent to dealer. They updated the car software and the problem was gone.

However the problem re-occurred several days after the service work and I “solved” it by just disconnecting battery for 30 sec or so. Since then I did not notice it happening. Did anyone have this sort of problem and can provide some input please.

Some possibly related info. The engine felt lacking boost at lower RPM for some time. I purchased a Bluetooth OBD reader and android Torque application in an attempt to monitor something. In the process of setting the application, I noticed that BSV was modulating with no engine running. How likely is that using this application could cause some of the turbo control loops to sort of get halted, and needs a reset, whereas the first time “reset” came with new vehicle software while the second time by removing power supply to the car computer? It is probably possible but at the same time since I had some hesitation and slight lack of torque problems much before having this toy, maybe my solenoid was buzzing for months before I heard it?

Speaking of Torque application, I’m using it to monitor the boost but looks like I have problem comprehending what the boost is and hope somebody can put some more light on it. The software allows for an offset ranging from -14.7 to +14.7 PSI, but I don’t know which number to use. Being at lower altitude, I selected 0 as an offset since atmospheric pressure where I am is similar like at the sea level.

With 0 offset, the application reads 0 boost when the engine is not running, which sort of makes logical sense. When engine is idling the virtual boost meter flips to the vacuum mode reading in InHg and getting to about -18 InHg, which is about 9 “negative” PSI. When some boost is present, the meter switches to boost in PSI but the higher number I’m seeing is about 6PSI. Is that what the real boost should be, or perhaps I should offset it for 14.7 and it will read that much when engine is not running and about 20 PSI as max. But if the present offset is OK, then what I’m seeing as a max is sort of 10 PSI lower then others reported across this forum for a non-tuned 1.4, i.e, boost reaching 16 PSI? I don't have a mechanical gage to compare.

Thank you.

Joe

·
10,712 Posts
If the sound is "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" it's the pump down solenoid. Is defrost on when you shut the car off? If it's on for like minutes after the car is off refer to:

#PI1267: High Pitched Whine or Buzz Noise from Engine Compartment After Engine is Turned Off - (Jul 8, 2014)

I'm not 100% on the numbers but whatever the app or boost gauges shows is usually in psig, not psia (14.7)

Vacuum is read as you displayed it. Vehicle is not relying on the turbo for power so it's aspirating naturally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply merc6. No, it was not "eeeeeeee" but "rrrrrrrrrrr" so it is not the pump but the bypass solenoid was cycling at the rate of about 10 cycles per second with the ignition key is ON. And it would never stop unless the ignition is turned off. Chevy service technician also determined that it was the BV solenoid cycling when engine is not running and in the process of testing it he induced code P0243. He then updated ECM and ECC software and the problem was gone, but reoccurred after few days. Nevertheless that update improved vehicle performance at lower RPM and smoothness of shifting when engine is cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Anyone else experienced this problem? My bypass solenoid valve buzzing problem keeps returning. When ignition is on and engine not running it is chattering at constant frequency of about 10 cycles/sec. It can be "fixed" by disconnecting battery which apparently resets the computer and it stops sending that strange signal to BPV, so everything is normal for some time after the battery is reconnected, but the problem will reoccur after some time, typically a week or two. It will never stop chattering with the ignition key on, but I don’t know whether it still keeps doing it when the engine is running as I the engine noise masks it and I cannot hear BSV buzzing any more. It is fuzzy whether it affects performance, seems it does trim the boost a bit a bit, but hard to tell. Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. This problem may be uncommon, but dealers incompetence while attempting to fix it is rather obvious: First visit, they uploaded new software and supposedly fixed BSV chattering problem. It came back. Second visit, they replaced ignition cylinder and claimed that would be a permanent fix. It came back. Third visit, they just declared that modulation which results in 15% BSV opening when ignition is on but engine is not running was normal and would continue forever as long as ignition is on. Completely ignored my comment that they did not say it was normal when they "fixed" it previous two times and also simply ignored my comment that several other identical rental cruzes I drove did not have this BSV problem at all.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Find a new dealer if you feel this one isn't working out for you..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts