·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
Squeezing 70 MPG from a Chevy Cruze Diesel | Feature | Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Stumbled across this article today. Impressive feat for what the AT is actually rated on the highway. Also intelligently geared, it seems - the Aisin 9-speed used by Chrysler/Honda/Acura almost NEVER uses its 9th gear.

Part of me wonders if the MT would do even better?
The FCA/Honda/Acura/Land Rover/Everyone else 9-speed is actually a ZF unit, not Aisin.

In most FCA vehicles, it won't kick into 9th unless you're coasting down a hill on the freeway.

Anyway, that is absolutely insane.

·
17,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The FCA/Honda/Acura/Land Rover/Everyone else 9-speed is actually a ZF unit, not Aisin.

In most FCA vehicles, it won't kick into 9th unless you're coasting down a hill on the freeway.
Whoops. Yeah, that one!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Whoops. Yeah, that one!
Yes, it's a colossal piece of ****. The only thing it seems comfortable and well-tuned in is the Pacifica (and it was supposed to be decent in the V6 200s, as well).

Sounds like the GM/Ford unit is lightyears better!

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Favorite quote from the article:

"Diesel kicks ass"

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a manual 2017 CTD, I wish that 6th gear were taller(?) - meaning lower RPMs at higher speeds, so that the RPM would be lower when at interstate speeds - assuming one is going with the flow of traffic in 65mph and 70mph areas. If I remember right, the display prompts me to shift into 6th around 45mph. I'd rather that 6th not be appropriate until on the interstate, where overdrive would come into play. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I have a manual 2017 CTD, I wish that 6th gear were taller(?) - meaning lower RPMs at higher speeds, so that the RPM would be lower when at interstate speeds - assuming one is going with the flow of traffic in 65mph and 70mph areas. If I remember right, the display prompts me to shift into 6th around 45mph. I'd rather that 6th not be appropriate until on the interstate, where overdrive would come into play. Just my opinion.
6th gear in the manual is actually just barely taller than 9th gear in the 9T50 - 0.61 vs 0.62 (4th gear is technically - barely - an OD gear at 0.96, and 5th at 0.74). However, the final drive on the manual is a much shorter 3.65 to the auto's 3.17.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Sounds like what you're after is the Corvette's 7th gear - 75 MPH @ 1500 RPM! :D
Now we're talkin! But it'll never happen even though the CTD has enough torque to do 75 mph at 1500 rpm.

I saw elsewhere that it may have to do with emissions? The need to hold higher rpms to maintain higher EGTs and lower NOX or something like that?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Pretty impressive 70mpg.

·
2,170 Posts
I was just watching this MPG-o-matic video where this guy averages over 60 mpg. I'm shocked it's getting essentially the same economy as my 296cc motorcycle that weighs 380 lbs.

It's a long and boring video but here it is if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_APLWG10gpc

·
Registered
37 Posts
I decided to give it a try, 32.9km ( roughly 20 miles ) of highway 400 cruise control set at 96 km/h (60 mph) keep in mind my car is a manual and it has less than 1000km on the odometer so it's not broken in. I got 3.4L/100km which is roughly (70mpg).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Mid-size car

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Finally seeing the numbers I was hoping the gen 2 would get. My gen 1 has averaged 49.8 for 130,000 miles . I would be disappointed if the gen2 didn't beat that by a lot . I want to wait for the diesel terrain but now the new Cruze just got real tempting

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Reading the comments on the article it's obvious at least half the commenters missed the whole point of the exercise - to see just what the car could do in ideal conditions. 70 MPG is just ******* amazing.

·
17,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reading the comments on the article it's obvious at least half the commenters missed the whole point of the exercise - to see just what the car could do in ideal conditions. 70 MPG is just ******* amazing.
Why would you expect the commentators on some sort of Internet article to leave something intelligent?

Ha, stupid Cruze, my Prius can do this at 38 mph in the left lane no problem! I have no idea why people are always flashing their lights and honking at me!

I am seriously impressed, though. Hypermiling my 1LT I topped 50 MPG a couple times for short stints, even high 40's for much longer trips, but 70 is just insane.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
And it honestly doesn't even sound like they were that ridiculous with it to do it.

*Heavy breathing*

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I should be able to break all my mileage records with that but I really think the new diesel terrain and equinox with all wheel drive will get mileage very close to my gen1

·
Registered
300 Posts
I decided to give it a try, 32.9km ( roughly 20 miles ) of highway 400 cruise control set at 96 km/h (60 mph) keep in mind my car is a manual and it has less than 1000km on the odometer so it's not broken in. I got 3.4L/100km which is roughly (70mpg).
My best 25-mile average is 72mpg. My best 50-mile average is 65mpg. I don't doubt that under ideal conditions these cars easily average 70mpg.

I think the only reason we don't see 75-80mpg is that it's very difficult to maintain "ideal conditions" for more than 10 or 20 miles.

I was going to be a satisfied customer if I got anything in the high 40s, so I'm very happy with my 56mpg average.

I'm also surprised that it isn't a bigger deal in the market that these cars are able to go so far on a gallon of fuel.

·
17,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm also surprised that it isn't a bigger deal in the market that these cars are able to go so far on a gallon of fuel.
Once fuel prices start their rise back up, the interest in high MPG cars will definitely increase again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.