Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to see something really funny, test drive a Cadillac made in the past 20 years, then drive your Cruze. Tell me which one rides better.

I had a new Caddy STS in 2006. The 2005 Cobalt rode better; a base Cobalt at that! I just test drove a DTS and the Cruze rides nearly the same.
-For $50k less!

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you want to see something really funny, test drive a Cadillac made in the past 20 years, then drive your Cruze. Tell me which one rides better.

I had a new Caddy STS in 2006. The 2005 Cobalt rode better; a base Cobalt at that! I just test drove a DTS and the Cruze rides nearly the same.
-For $50k less!
Probably just as good as the old ones...new ones with magnetic ride control...tough to beat that. Can't feel a thing in a straight line and 0 body roll is the corners. Fantastic

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I test drove an ATS and thought my Cruze rode much better.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Test drove a 2012 CTS with one more inch of rear seat floor space than a Cruze for only 40K more, Body was about the same as the Cruze, some metal and lots of plastic. Has a couple of hundred HP, I could never use, but would sure run up my gas and insurance bills Not sure who their target marketing is, but sure isn't the heck wasn't me.

Since the 78 to 90 models and the 94 to present have a very poor reliability record, wasn't a very attractive car to buy, resale value is terrible. Use to be a Cadillac nut, but not anymore. Caddy dealer in town went broke in around 1995.

Chevy is a far more reliable car than a Caddy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My 2014 CTD rides much better than my 1998 Cadillac Deville that I dumped in 2006. The CTD ride is more compliant without the frequent loud suspension bottoming out the Deville exhibited. South Carolina fuel taxes are very low so the roads are in poor condition. The soft suspension tuning and hydraulic bushings really smooth the ride. Much better than Civic and Corolla.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,594 Posts
At one point I owned a Buick Century (basically a living room on wheels) and a Camry LE (a Japanese Buick more or less). Both wallowed and rolled like a large boat in any kind of cornering - the Buick would actually squeal the inside tire at 20 mph, but they absorbed road imperfections like they weren't there and completely and totally isolated you from the road and any sense of what was going on underneath the car.

In a time when every car manufacturer seems to be trying to give cars "sporty" handling, the Cruze is probably the best balance between handling and ride quality I've driven. You hear the road imperfections more than you feel them, but are still aware of what's going on underneath the tires, and it has no problem being put through its paces on a twisty road, and I love that.

The noise level and ride quality of this little car have turned me into a bit of a snob about these things when I ride or drive in other cars. It has really made me appreciate a nice, quiet car, and there are several "luxury" brands toting these qualities out there today that don't do either of those as well as my $18.5k car.

I actually drove the Acura TLX a few weeks ago, something reviewers have lauded for its quiet ride (over previous Acura models)...and found the ride a bit jittery and loud. It did corner nicely though.

I have never really found anything Cadillac made to be the least bit tasteful to me. I do like some of GMC and Buicks offerings, though.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Hey Mr. jblackburn, take it you never owned or drove a V-16 Caddy Limo. This is when Cadillacs were Caddillacs.

Had two fold down seats in the rear, could carry eight passengers in comfort, even a lot more without too much comfort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably just as good as the old ones...new ones with magnetic ride control...tough to beat that. Can't feel a thing in a straight line and 0 body roll is the corners. Fantastic
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Actually the DTS I drove today had the Magnetic Ride Suspension. It was a 2007 DTS Performance w/ about 50k miles. It rode essentially the same as the Cruze. I looked at the shocks & struts and nothing was leaking. They were labeled: "Magnetic Ride" and apparently cost about $3k to replace.
These are things that really make me appreciate the Cruze.

·
16,594 Posts
Hey Mr. jblackburn, take it you never owned or drove a V-16 Caddy Limo. This is when Cadillacs were Caddillacs.

Had two fold down seats in the rear, could carry eight passengers in comfort, even a lot more without too much comfort.
No, neither I nor my parents were alive in the 30s

·
Administrator
25,108 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I used to work at a "tote the note" lot. The owners always made a point of keeping Cadillacs on hand because they would sell.

The pre Northstar Cadillacs are the absolute worst vehicles ever to shame a brand.

Sloppy undersprung/underdamped suspension means that you will wallow in a bump for 5 seconds after you hit it. Seriously. It's motion sickness inducing The bench seat is soft but offers no support which is fine because there is so much body roll and the tires howl in protest early. It's about, oh, I don't know....10 turns lock to lock but still needs at least 3 full width lanes to execute a u-turn. Acceleration? Well, don't push the pedal all the way down to the floor. Something will break.

We could buy them stupid cheap, put a reman engine in, detail the heck out of it (they did clean up nicely....good quality carpet, cheap plasticky leather that cleaned up well, decent paint for a GM of that era) Income tax refund time every one of them got snatched up. They'd be back by July with a broken A/C....that was more money attached to the payoff amount. Back again later with something else broken. More money attached to the payoff. Terrible cars. But by the time they got paid off, my boss' had thousands of extra profit in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Borrowed my moms 2007 Corolla S for a few days while my car was in the auto body shop.. What a mess that was! I felt scared driving the car at 70 because the smallest bumps would send the car all over the road. It really reminded me of my 2001 Cavalier buzzy loud motor with terrible handling (although her Corolla will probably last forever) Was SO glad to get my Cruze back!

·
Registered
379 Posts
In a time when every car manufacturer seems to be trying to give cars "sporty" handling, the Cruze is probably the best balance between handling and ride quality I've driven. You hear the road imperfections more than you feel them, but are still aware of what's going on underneath the tires, and it has no problem being put through its paces on a twisty road, and I love that.
The Mazda3 was the best I drove. It was what you would expect from a $30,000+ Audi A3. It's better than a $30,000+ Audi A3 Unfortunately, only the last leering grin body style was availiable at Cruze prices.

The Cruze is remarkable when you have driven earlier Cobalts with EPS. Whatever they learned with the Cobalt SS got applied to the EPS in the Cruze. It's quite a bit better than the EPS in the Corolla.

·
16,594 Posts
The Mazda3 was the best I drove. It was what you would expect from a $30,000+ Audi A3. It's better than a $30,000+ Audi A3 Unfortunately, only the last leering grin body style was availiable at Cruze prices.

The Cruze is remarkable when you have driven earlier Cobalts with EPS. Whatever they learned with the Cobalt SS got applied to the EPS in the Cruze. It's quite a bit better than the EPS in the Corolla.
I haven't driven the latest version of the 3, but I couldn't stand the 2010-13 version. A friend has a 2009, the last of the first gen, and while it's fun to drive, it also has zero noise insulation. The Mazda 6 and CX5 also need more noise isolation, but they're nice to drive otherwise.

The A3 and Golf are amazing cars in my opinion. Too bad they come standard with VW Reliability.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Only thing I like cadillacs for is going Smurfboarding ...

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
We Smurfboard at the Pacific Ocean and bring lots of Beer in the Trunk ..

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
The key to a more comfortable ride is an extended wheelbase. CTS is 113.4", Cruze is 105.4", 7% increase is not very much. My 73 Fleetwood 75 had a 151.5" wheelbase,that was a comfortable ride.

Sure looks like a Cruze, grille is a bit more aggressive, even intimidating to say, get the heck out of my way. Cruze has more of a friendly smile on its face.

2015 CTS boasts a wireless cell phone charger, you buy a car to charge a cell phone? Carry a small two buck 5V 2 amp USB output charger with three line cords, one for the GPS, another for Androids, and a 3rd for Apple. If they would standardized this, could carry just one. Also a small 15 buck 120 V 140 watt inverter for charging a lap top, none of these are wireless for charging.

Back in the good old days, a Caddy was good for over 200K miles of driving for a few thousand more than a Chevy that was a pile of junk before you hit 100K. Caddy should go back to the good old days. Never thought I would see the day when I would be driving a Chevy.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I am an original owner of a 2008 DTS and a 2014 CTD so feel uniquely qualified to comment on their comparison.

The DTS rides smoother than the CTD. It's seats are more comfortable. It's Bose audio blows the pioneer audio. It steering wheel gives some road feel or feedback. It has a more useable trunk. It is quieter. The switchgear feels more refined.

The CTD is more fun to drive and gets about double the fuel economy. Its brakes feel more powerful.

The four speed transmission in the DTS gives it a more relaxed drive than the six in the CTD. But both are equally fast on the road.

Cadillacs on the K body are very sensitive to tire choice and wheel balance. If you're driving one that rides comparable to a CTD than the tires are not factory correct or have not been properly road force balanced on a GSP9700.

DTS was also available in a Performance variant. I test drove two of these back in 2008. Their 18" wheels, Bridgestone tires, mag ride suspension and retuned engine and transmission make the Performance an entirely different beast than the Lux model I own.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You cannot beat a Panther body car for urban-surfing. Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car....doesn't matter which. :laugh:
A panther Deville is what cruella Deville drives in the real life version of 101 Dalmatians.

Sent from the sexy electrician

1 - 20 of 23 Posts