Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I have seen a regen happen, I want to try my hand at calculating the DPF life expectancy, and get some input from you guys on my math.

So, after it did the regen I was down to 3 grams. It pretty quickly jumped up to 4, so we can call it 4 grams, rounding up. Now, I am not far off from 125K miles, so therefore let's say 4 grams of residual ash every 125K miles. If it is still useable (which I assume it will be) up to at least 12 grams of residual ash, the DPF would have a life expectancy of 375K miles. Even if 10 grams was the tipping point, we are still looking at over 300K miles. I feel pretty good about this.

The regen was triggered at 19 grams (maybe 20 - it had measured 19 for a while)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think type of driving would have a lot to do with it as well. I guess I don`t have much to worry about at 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year.
when the roads are crappy in the winter I drive my old Saturn.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I think thats reasonable thinking. If thats true the DPF would outlast the car. Thats all you could hope for in the end.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
I'd like to see if that 4g low-point persists over time or increases. I remember watching an instructional video and hearing from a Diesel mechanic that re-gens don't burn the DPF down to zero, but just down to a certain threshold, at which it quits. So, if it continues to rise over time, then would indicate residual soot accumulation. If it persists at 4g, then that would indicate that the threshold is simply 4g, and there is not an increase in residual soot over time.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wonder what the failure mode of a DPF is? Since they get clogged, I suspect it may be so much back-pressure that the engine won't want to turn over, or blown bits of the exhaust system...

A quick goggle gave me all the usual hits about regeneration failures, nothing about what happens except for vehicles entering "limp home" mode, which presumably prevents the more extreme failure modes occurring.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will post updates periodically. I've been at 9 grams for about 70 miles, with several cold starts and short trips in between.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts