Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now seen a hatchback in person and actually liked it to my supersize. I was reading about recalls on gen 2. Hatchback owners have you been affected? Plenty of space? Im wondering about handling and mileage, do you like the car overall? I'm considering upgrading but would like to hear some first hand reviews before proceeding.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The electric steering is numb. Aside from that, handling is fine. Takes city corners well without leaning or complaint from the tires. I do notice it has a twist-beam rear axle and not an i.r.s.; the ride is a bit harder than it could be. Not bad though, not bad.

If I could go back & do over, I might get the automatic transmission. The engine is tuned or programmed to give more torque in the 1000s, in the auto trans car. The gap between 1 and 2 is annoyingly wide in the man trans car. The auto stop-start in the auto trans car was not intrusive.

The recall for a water leak in the center-mount stop lamp is a minor thing. Only sedans, I think.

The dealer has a call in to GM national techs, to try & figure out a slight but annoying wind noise issue that's coming from the left B-pillar area. GM did a great job of isolating noise from the rear, a problem typical in other hatch cars. Another poster here says, 'the hatches are noisier', not sure exactly what he was referring to.

Funniest thing, a neighbor two or three doors down bought one almost the same color as mine. We don't even talk. Only interaction I've ever had was, when I didn't know him and he didn't know me, he was road-raging at me as we approached home and I wasn't going fast enough.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I haven't been affected by recalls, I have an egregious amount of space, and I love the car overall. I liked the second gen so much that I got my girlfriend one as well. I have a sedan and a hatch.

I am the other poster that said hatches are noisier, but I should clarify; our manual hatches (which come with the RS package) are noisier. Not inherently saying his issues are not actual issues, but that my sedan without RS is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than my hatch with RS.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,124 Posts
We don't even talk. Only interaction I've ever had was, when I didn't know him and he didn't know me, he was road-raging at me as we approached home and I wasn't going fast enough.

OK Eric, quit preposting me - I hate redoing my post - it's like chewing my cabbage twice!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
[video=youtube;t8GTHXTEvIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc[video]

OK Eric, quit preposting me - I hate redoing my post - it's like chewing my cabbage twice!
But it's always fun for me. It's like watching you chew your cabbage twice. :p

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I own the sedan, not the hatch, but I can say that the powertrain and overall chassis composure of the car is excellent for the class. Quiet, unobtrustive, excellent ride quality, torquey and quiet little engine, and while it's not as "sporty" to drive as say, a Golf, Mazda 3, etc, it's good when the road gets twisty. MyLink system works very well and is responsive.

The steering is numb, but accurate. Zero feedback whatsoever. Clutch and manual transmission leaves a lot to be desired. Auto is much improved over the old cars.

RS package is definitely worth it, and the Premier trim level is gorgeous on the inside.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got the hatch in manual, I have no regrets at all, I swapped the OEM tires out the day I got it with some super quiet ones and it's a dream to drive around. I've also had no recalls, but I had a driver door issue that had to go back to the body shop due to some air noise. I just hate the fact I couldn't get leather seats with the manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I've got the hatch in manual, I have no regrets at all, I swapped the OEM tires out the day I got it with some super quiet ones and it's a dream to drive around. I've also had no recalls, but I had a driver door issue that had to go back to the body shop due to some air noise. I just hate the fact I couldn't get leather seats with the manual transmission.
I promptly swapped my OEM tires for super grippy ultra high performance summer tires. :p Oops. Sounds like we're having the same love for our hatches. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How big are you?:unsure:
Are you asking my overall size or the size of individual parts of me? Gen 2 cruze's are ugly. The hatchback pulls off the look imo.

I promptly swapped my OEM tires for super grippy ultra high performance summer tires. :p Oops. Sounds like we're having the same love for our hatches. :)
Good hear. Thanks all for input. Compared to a gen1 cruze does the the hatch have more or less body roll? And as far as MT goes I'd love to have it again but with autostop crap I wouldn't want it. I've finally got used the 1st-2nd jump in mine so it's not bad, but still not my favorite. Auto guys- is the auto stop unnoticeable? It was said the trans is improved, if you pull out into traffic accelerating hard then reach speed and let off, does it lag through the higher gears before settling in?

·
10,712 Posts
I haven't been affected by recalls, I have an egregious amount of space, and I love the car overall. I liked the second gen so much that I got my girlfriend one as well. I have a sedan and a hatch.

I am the other poster that said hatches are noisier, but I should clarify; our manual hatches (which come with the RS package) are noisier. Not inherently saying his issues are not actual issues, but that my sedan without RS is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than my hatch with RS.
Noisier was that with oem tires on, more of a suspension noise or lack of cross bracing a sedan would have in the back?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
No auto stop on the manual. After 5000 miles, I hardly notice it anymore. Way less body roll on the Premier; the LT has a bit more because the tires are blah.

I think most current cars would hang on to lower gears after hard acceleration because the programming assumes you might stomp on it again within the next few seconds. It does hurry to as tall a gear as it can most of the time though. Much less clunky and confused than the Gen 1.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Are you asking my overall size or the size of individual parts of me? Gen 2 cruze's are ugly. The hatchback pulls off the look imo.

Good hear. Thanks all for input. Compared to a gen1 cruze does the the hatch have more or less body roll? And as far as MT goes I'd love to have it again but with autostop crap I wouldn't want it. I've finally got used the 1st-2nd jump in mine so it's not bad, but still not my favorite. Auto guys- is the auto stop unnoticeable? It was said the trans is improved, if you pull out into traffic accelerating hard then reach speed and let off, does it lag through the higher gears before settling in?
I have a manual hatch, and as mentioned there is no auto stop on the manual. I also have an automatic sedan, and the auto stop is not noticeable. I forget it's doing it. The trans is significantly improved. Overall, they're so far ahead it's not really comparable. It's really that drastic of an improvement.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I test-drove an automatic sedan. The auto-start doesn't even seem to utilize the starter. I think the control system stops the engine with one of the pistons on the downstroke, without having added gas to it. It spritzes a small amount of gas and ignites it to 'bump' the engine to life. Happens very fast and doesn't add much or any time to your own speed of reaction moving from the brake to the accelerator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a couple month in and about 3,000 miles. So far I've been very happy with it. It's my wife's daily and she loves it, so that helps significantly.

The steering lacks feedback, but otherwise it handles pretty well. Getting 31 mpg avg right now with the auto.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts