Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

CALLING PRO AUTO PAINTERS: Question about painting plastic

2349 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  evo77
So I want to get my new Z Spec grille painted in gloss black. I took it to a local body shop and the guy looked at it and said immediately he won't do it. Said that textured plastic is impossible to have paint adhere to. And that it would eventually start chipping/peeling from rock chips. He said he would challenge any painter that would say other wise. And that he wouldn't do the work unless he could guarantee against that sort of thing.

Honestly I think he just didn't want to bother with the job but who knows if what he says has some truth to it.

Can I get some opinions from any pro painters?

Thanks.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Given that they came from the factory in a variety of colours it implies that it s a difficult part to paint in the field.

I'd also say that it is a wise man who knows his limitations. If you're painter said no, and cited the reasons why, it actually raises my confidence in him.

Reactions: AutumnCruzeRS

· Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
I'm not talking about the bezel pieces (that normally are chrome but come painted on the Z spec). I want the center pieces painted gloss black.

I would be inclined to agree with your assessment of this painter however based on his demeanor and the way he spoke to me, I know when someone feels "bothered" and can twist the facts to put off a meaningless job.

Which is why I am seeking other opinions to validate his claims.
Maybe post a pic to help give some contextual information to those unfamiliar with this rare grille.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.