Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

CALLING PRO AUTO PAINTERS: Question about painting plastic

2352 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  evo77
So I want to get my new Z Spec grille painted in gloss black. I took it to a local body shop and the guy looked at it and said immediately he won't do it. Said that textured plastic is impossible to have paint adhere to. And that it would eventually start chipping/peeling from rock chips. He said he would challenge any painter that would say other wise. And that he wouldn't do the work unless he could guarantee against that sort of thing.

Honestly I think he just didn't want to bother with the job but who knows if what he says has some truth to it.

Can I get some opinions from any pro painters?

Thanks.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
I do paint some and have rebuilt 4 totaled cruzes. I'd think it would be paintable. The hard plastic could be cleaned, scuffed, cleaned, masked, adheason promoted, and painted. There are a lot of edges where failure could start. It won't have oe durability, but it can last and look good for a long time. The paint won't stick as well to the softer flat plastic behind the hard grill surround. Cleanliness is key with plastic. Sometimes the mould release agents work against paint adheasion. It won't be cheap as the time and materials are expensive.

· Registered
552 Posts
All kind of paints for plastic at auto supply stores, helps to break the glaze with 220 grit wet sandpaper for better adherence.

Just one stupid question, will this appreciate the value of your Cruze or depreciate its value. But what the heck, as long as it makes you happy.
220 wet is too coarse for finish coats. Standard automotive paint is fine for most plastics, but adheasion promoter is recommended for most plastics. 240 wet under primer or 180 dry, 400 wet under single stage or 320 dry or red scotch brite, 600 wet under base coat or grey scotch brite.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.