Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '13 ltz with 88k miles. It has 100k powertrain warranty. I had the oil changed today, and the notes said "cam seals leaking." The service advisor said it is "seeping" and that it's not a leak. I had 6k on this oil change, and the dipstick still read on the full mark, so it can't be leaking much. Also, I didn't secure the filler cap securely about a month ago and it dribbled some oil around the filler neck which ran all over the top of the engine. With this in mind, I question whether my cam seals are really leaking.

So, given that my powertrain warranty will be up within a year, should I

1. have the seals replaced under warranty
  2. ignore it since it's a minor leak and possibly not a leak at all
  3. wait and see if they note it on the next oil change
Honestly, I don't mind a small leak/seep if it doesn't require adding oil between changes. However, small leaks usually turn into big ones, and if I wait, I'll have to pay out of pocket for a fix. How invasive is changing these seals on the 1.4? I'd rather live with a small leak than take a chance on the dealer screwing something up on a major repair. What would you do?

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I must be special or something but I have the hardest time removing the MAP and other sensors. I can lift the tab thing up that locks them in but for the life of me I cannot pull the sensor out. I am afraid I am going to break it or something worse. I would like to disconnect a few just to spray some electronic cleaner on the connection if nothing else - I am not having any problems but would nice to be able pull these off without fear of breaking the darn plastic. Any magic suggestions?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had three leaks (to me, a seep is a leak), both camshaft actuators were leaking. Chevy dealer fixed under powertrain warranty (I had 80k miles at the time) and gave me a nice loaner (they had to keep it overnight due to a staffing issue). I say, YES, get it done under warranty if it's convenient.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I've had the "it's a seep" report before. All my "seeps" have turned into leaks. These aren't like older Jeeps which came from the factory with built-in oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've had the "it's a seep" report before. All my "seeps" have turned into leaks. These aren't like older Jeeps which came from the factory with built-in oil leaks.
I had a Jeep with a built-in oil leak from the factory too! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.