Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into the dealership because I could hear a whining noise that I thought sounded like a power steering pump, but since it doesn't have one, it had to be something else. I know someone else posted a video about it on here before doing the exact same thing mine does, but there was no resolution posted.

Anyway, the dealership told me that oil was leaking onto the belt because of a bad cam seal. After I took it home that day and popped the hood, I could actually hear a separate noise that sounds like a squeak on the belt. That wasn't even the reason I went, but I guess I'm glad they found it. I took it in yesterday to have it repaired, being told it would take 4-5 hours, so I took the day off from work and prepared for a long wait in the waiting room.

Got there at 8am and they started immediately. 9am rolls around...it's done?
I was really suspicious that they had even done anything other than had it up on a lift for an hour. How does a 4-5 hour estimate turn into one hour? I assumed it was going to be a pretty involved job.

Is there any obvious signs that I can look for to see if it was actually done? I did pop the hood and listened for the squeak, but I couldn't hear anything. It was pretty faint to begin with, so maybe I need to try again somewhere quieter.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
This is a 1.4? Cam (phaser) seals should not be a difficult procedure.

Wonder if they quoted you for a crankshaft seal by accident. That's much more involved.

·
Registered
270 Posts
be careful that they didnt neglect the source of the leak and only replaced the belt...

or maybe you just found the holy grail of dealerships... last time i went, i had an appointment and showed up early, but it took them an hour just to move my car into the bay...

you could ask to see the parts that were removed after the service, they might not let you keep the old parts on a warranty service, but they should be willing to let you inspect them and at least show you what they did.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little late for that I guess. I still have 45K left on the powertrain, so if it should continue to leak, I'll just take it back. Probably to a different dealership.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
Wonder if they just told you they'd need the car for 4-5 hours if you dropped it off in the middle of the day. Dealerships - at least the ones that I have been to - usually push waiting customers to the front of the line so they aren't waiting all day.

What did your paperwork on the car say they did?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
If you have a 2013-2014 1.4L it was the front timing seal that takes about an hour to replace. They create a whistle noise. The test to verify that is the issue is to pull the diptick or oil cap. If the nosie quits then that is the fix.

Reactions: BowtieGuy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.