Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I will be looking into pulling the head on my LUJ for a low compression issue on one of the cylinders. I figured since I had it off, I would do some porting/cleanup and install stronger springs.
I was curious if anyone knew the specs for the cams in the LUJ and is it the same as the LUV? Is it also the same as the N/A LUU from the Volt(84hp) or are they the same as the cams from the N/A LDD and L2N(99hp)?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't exactly what you asked for, but it is a little more than what you have.

GM EFI Magazine

Family 0 Engines

GM 1.4 Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LUJ/LUV Engine
Thanks for the info.
None of those list the cam specs though. I am basically trying to find out if the non-turbo family 0 1.4 engines LDD and L2N have a hotter cam than the turbo 1.4.
I know some people have inquired about upgrade cams for our engine but I have not found anyone trying this creative upgrade method.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,917 Posts
Thanks for the info.
None of those list the cam specs though. I am basically trying to find out if the non-turbo family 0 1.4 engines LDD and L2N have a hotter cam than the turbo 1.4.
I know some people have inquired about upgrade cams for our engine but I have not found anyone trying this creative upgrade method.
I have looked high and low for quite some time. That post about the 2.2l was the "only" post I could find with any cam specs. If someone has theirs torn down, they could at least give you the lift, by measuring the base circle of the cam and subtract it from the thickness across the cam lobe's highest point. (included for the general population) As for the duration, you will have to find someone with a Cam Doctor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked high and low for quite some time.
Yeah, I have never had this much trouble finding info for one of my cars.
I can get the general specs of mine with a dial gauge and degree wheel but still need the specs for the other applications/engines.
A mechanic friend is looking to see if he can find them somewhere.
Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still have not been able to find any specs for these cams. i did get a chance to use a dial caliper on a LUV engine and the lobe lift for the intake is 17mm and the exhaust is much lower at 13mm. I have no idea of the actuator/rocker ratio though so I will see if I can measure the valve lift directly.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There's a post by "Preloader" over on the sonic forum that has some measurements of components. I know he removed the cams from the head.

The problem becomes timing tools to get the head back on. There have only been two people that I'm aware of that have pulled heads and replaced them. One person was in a custom built air boat, and the other was Mark222 (sorry if I got this handle wrong.) Both have mentioned that the GM designed head tools are required.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
There's a post by "Preloader" over on the sonic forum that has some measurements of components. I know he removed the cams from the head.

The problem becomes timing tools to get the head back on. There have only been two people that I'm aware of that have pulled heads and replaced them. One person was in a custom built air boat, and the other was Mark222 (sorry if I got this handle wrong.) Both have mentioned that the GM designed head tools are required.
1.4L Teardown/Modification - Chevy Sonic Owners Forum

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thread did not show him re-assemble. When he replaced his engine, I think he got different one that had the salvage yard markings on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i found a cam on ebay in europe, its for the a14xer (LDD)
i need a good tool to measure, but i can at least find max lift , not any of the timing and such

·
Registered
11 Posts
good news and bad... got the european cam measured, and this is what i was told :
Lift .280 Duration 172

So there is an increase in lift, duration is pretty much, or possibly exactly the same.

It is better than stock, but for the work involved, I'm not sure I would bother with the swap

BUT i would swap, since a stock cam is going to be quite reliable, and the increased lift would be beneficial to the turbo; not going to be a huge increase, but in this motor i don't think the cam swap is terrible to do.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did you measure the stock lift at? Did you have both intake and exhaust measured? The intake cam on mine had much higher lift than the exhaust.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
for some reason, i cant post on the sonic board... but can here. the luj has a slightly lower lift than the ldd, but neither of them have a lot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So Zomby Woof over at the Sonic forums measured the stock cam and here is his results:

"Intake

(Lift in inches, duration at .050")

Lift - .330"
Duration - 180 degrees

Exhaust

Lift - .247"
Duration - 165 degrees"

And the LDD exhaust cam was measured at .280 lift

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow, it does seem like if you could use the intake cam for the exhaust side, that would work best... lift and duration,
but would it 'connect' to the timing chain?
for all the effort, i think an experienced engine builder, could port the head and make better results. although it would cost more than a cam.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow, it does seem like if you could use the intake cam for the exhaust side, that would work best... lift and duration,
but would it 'connect' to the timing chain?
for all the effort, i think an experienced engine builder, could port the head and make better results. although it would cost more than a cam.
The cam would need to be degreed to get the timing right as the normal locking tool would no longer work.
I was going to port my head before putting in a replacement engine in but decided it was not worth it. The ports are pretty good and I think the cam is the limiting factor here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
see, i wouldn't be worried about teh exact timing bar tool , as there is a section of the cam that you could grab with a wrench- but connecting it to the timing chain actuator would be the part i wonder about. if the dowel pins are oriented in the correct spot, you could use the intake cam on the exhaust side for a big increase- i don't have a cylinder head to examine myself, but i would certainly look at that (am i making sense)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts