Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Can a 2016 Gen2 Cruze tow a small enclosed trailer?

2125 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  pacolino
Daughter moving to Texas in June from here in Michigan. Going thru the possibilities to get her there <relatively> economically, could a 1.4 Gen2 Cruze theoretically tow a small 5x8 enclosed trailer safely?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts

· Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link. The trailer itself would weigh about 850 lbs. I think we'd be close to 1500 or so loaded.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,174 Posts
Daughter moving to Texas in June from here in Michigan. Going thru the possibilities to get her there <relatively> economically, could a 1.4 Gen2 Cruze theoretically tow a small 5x8 enclosed trailer safely?
I tow a 5x7 open air trailer with my gen I all the time and it probably has been more than 1000lbs a time or two. The longest I have traveled with a fully loaded trailer was about 6 or so hours and that was when I went to Lordstown coincidentally.

· Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think a Cruze can tow that much without something breaking. If I was in your situation, I would rent an SUV for the trip.
Yaeh, thats kind of where we're at right now. Its right about $2000 to rent a small Uhaul van and car transport. Id probably drive down with her, then fly back. Would take a few days, as I cant drive 24hr straight anymore.

· Registered
443 Posts
I'm towing a 2,000 lbs load (trailer+motorcicle) easy, here are some instructions from uhaul:
Loading your tow vehicle
To find how much weight you are allowed to put in your tow vehicle:
Step 1: Find your tow vehicle's GVWR on the label inside the driver's door.
Step 2: Subtract the curb (empty) weight of your tow vehicle from the GVWR. Contact a U-Haul representative for help in finding the curb weight of your tow vehicle.
Step 3: Subtract 250 pounds from the answer in Step 2 if your trailer has 2 tires. Subtract 400 pounds from the answer in Step 2 if your trailer has 4 tires.
The answer in Step 3 is the amount of weight you can put in your tow vehicle. This weight includes driver, passengers, cargo and any additional equipment. If the rear of your tow vehicle seems low, reduce the load in the rear seat, trunk or cargo bed areas. Too much load in the rear can affect handling.

I believe the Cruze diesel has a bigger towing capacity than its gasser cruze sister.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts