Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum and the internet and I can't seem to find if there is a way to adjust the setting for the oil change warning. On our 2003 Tahoe, I can scroll through many different intervals. Anyone know if that is possible on the Cruze, as I have full synthetic in it and plan to go to 7500 miles, and the warning has been on for the last couple hundred miles, and I still have about 1500 more miles to go.... Thanks in advance....

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I have searched the forum and the internet and I can't seem to find if there is a way to adjust the setting for the oil change warning. On our 2003 Tahoe, I can scroll through many different intervals. Anyone know if that is possible on the Cruze, as I have full synthetic in it and plan to go to 7500 miles, and the warning has been on for the last couple hundred miles, and I still have about 1500 more miles to go.... Thanks in advance....
Nope. Not without hacking the car. I have no idea if anyone has done that.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Condition/Concern

Since 2010 all GM vehicles have been equipped with the oil life monitor (OLM) system
The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale. Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions
Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:
1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.
Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Based on how you drive these things, if making thousands of two block trips, oil life remaining will drop very quickly. Quite the opposite with highway driving, already hit 9,500 miles with 20% oil life remaining. Felt 20% oil remaining and judging the color of the oil was also enough, but the manual said could go to 0% plus had an extra 600 miles before a change was required.

Does not keep track of the date, should be changed at least once per year, can cheat and reset that oil remaining life back to 100%, it doesn't know whether you replaced the oil or not. All deals with maintaining your warranty and being honest with yourself.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
OP, if the OLM is showing change the oil do so. We've seen warranties invalidated because of this. When you change it make sure you reset the system.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Also, the 2011 and 2012 OLMs would top out at 10,000 miles. In 2013 GM adjusted the change interval to top out at 7,500 miles.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,130 Posts
Condition/Concern

Since 2010 all GM vehicles have been equipped with the oil life monitor (OLM) system
The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale. Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions
Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:
1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.
Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.
Sorry, I could not read it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts