Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cruzers,

I am planning to install LED projectors in my Cruze headlights. I can see these after market LED projectors installed on cars like BMW, Mercedes, VW and other cars without problems.
I would like to know if anyone have installed LED projector in 1st gen Cruze and how is the experience so far? Is there any problems?

Here are some pictures of the LED projectors that I want to install in my Cruze:

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Are you referring to retrofitting your oem assemblies? I would say you can but there are aftermarket assemblies also available with new housing wirh projectors installed. I have the u shape led projector style assemblies and have had no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
The cooling is the real deal breaker. Its why I say HIDs are the king of retrofits. Even today.

Beyond that they are about the same as a normal projector retrofit. Maybe a bit bigger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem with LEDs is they dont have the throw of a halogen or a HID without a proper projector. They are bright and put out a bunch of light but the throw isn't there. Most people are satisfied with putting an LED into a projector built for an HID but at the same time the housing wasn't built for it. A lot of R&D that went into the pairing of that HID/LED and projector that's why they work so good from the factory. I find that a lot of the aftermarket projector headlight Spyder or Winjet that use a H1 or H7 bulb with projector have bad light output with the hot spot right on the ground or they have a really scattered cutoff. Then when you put an HID or LED in there it just makes it worse, yes more light output but now you have a lot more scatter.

I would suggest to do a proper retrofit of a OEM or aftermarket headlight housing. Proper projectors with clear lens and good crisp cutoffs. Morimoto is one of the best when it comes to aftermarket projector setups. Not all H1 projectors are built the same, dont skimp on some generic crap. Or you could just stick with an OEM setup, S2K/TLX, EVO-R, RX350. Pair that with a good HID kit or again go with a OEM Osram or Phillips. The Retrofit Source is a great place to purchase from and they have great customer support. HID Planet is a great forum to do research and get examples of what it should look like and how to build once you get to that point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem with LEDs is they dont have the throw of a halogen or a HID without a proper projector. They are bright and put out a bunch of light but the throw isn't there. Most people are satisfied with putting an LED into a projector built for an HID but at the same time the housing wasn't built for it. A lot of R&D that went into the pairing of that HID/LED and projector that's why they work so good from the factory. I find that a lot of the aftermarket projector headlight Spyder or Winjet that use a H1 or H7 bulb with projector have bad light output with the hot spot right on the ground or they have a really scattered cutoff. Then when you put an HID or LED in there it just makes it worse, yes more light output but now you have a lot more scatter.

I would suggest to do a proper retrofit of a OEM or aftermarket headlight housing. Proper projectors with clear lens and good crisp cutoffs. Morimoto is one of the best when it comes to aftermarket projector setups. Not all H1 projectors are built the same, dont skimp on some generic crap. Or you could just stick with an OEM setup, S2K/TLX, EVO-R, RX350. Pair that with a good HID kit or again go with a OEM Osram or Phillips. The Retrofit Source is a great place to purchase from and they have great customer support. HI
Thank you very much for your input.
Currently I am still using the stock headlights which became dim and the light is bad actually. Where I stay right now it's not easy to find nice new set of headlights that I can just simply plug and play. If I want to get new set of headlights I need to purchase online which is a risk at the same time because they are expensive and I can't be sure about their quality. After long search I found that there are local shops who can customize my existing headlights and add on LEDs and projectors with good price. I saw a lot of cars have done that like Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, and all types of Japanies and Korean cars so if all these cars can do why Cruze cannot? That's how I am thinking.
From the cars they have done I saw huge improvement after fixing projector lights and also they look nice.

I wanted to bring this topic here to have your ideas and thoughts as well.

Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you very much for your input.
Currently I am still using the stock headlights which became dim and the light is bad actually. Where I stay right now it's not easy to find nice new set of headlights that I can just simply plug and play. If I want to get new set of headlights I need to purchase online which is a risk at the same time because they are expensive and I can't be sure about their quality. After long search I found that there are local shops who can customize my existing headlights and add on LEDs and projectors with good price. I saw a lot of cars have done that like Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, and all types of Japanies and Korean cars so if all these cars can do why Cruze cannot? That's how I am thinking.
From the cars they have done I saw huge improvement after fixing projector lights and also they look nice.

I wanted to bring this topic here to have your ideas and thoughts as well.

Thank you
Well if you spoke with a shop that can do it and they are reputable and stand behind their work then I see no problem. It's not a difficult thing to do as long as you know what your doing. There is also nothing wrong with paying a shop to do the work.

One thing about the cruze headlight is they are vibrasealed. Basically they use vibration to weld the plastic lens on to the housing. Where other headlight use butyl, a glue like silicon to seal it. When the lens is vibrasealed on you have to cut it off. When butyl is used you can use heat.

If the shop you talk to has used head lights like this they should have no problem in doing what you want to do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if you spoke with a shop that can do it and they are reputable and stand behind their work then I see no problem. It's not a difficult thing to do as long as you know what your doing. There is also nothing wrong with paying a shop to do the work.

One thing about the cruze headlight is they are vibrasealed. Basically they use vibration to weld the plastic lens on to the housing. Where other headlight use butyl, a glue like silicon to seal it. When the lens is vibrasealed on you have to cut it off. When butyl is used you can use heat.

If the shop you talk to has used head lights like this they should have no problem in doing what you want to do.
Just wanted to ask as you really know the technical design of Cruze headlights, is there other brands used the same technology for their headlights? German, Korean or Japanies cars?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Cruze headlight is just a basic headlight; housing, lens, bulb holder, and blinker. There is nothing special about this head light. When talked about the sealing of the headlight its was more of an FYI. You have to know what your doing and have special tools to separate the lens from the housing. A lot of manufactures use this type of sealing on light housing. So I mentioned the shop must know what they are doing when opening up the headlight or they could really screw it up. Other then that there is nothing special. I have done a few headlight retrofits in the past but none have been on a headlight that is sealed that way. It has always been on butyl sealed lights. I'm not saying its impossible for you or the shop to do, its just something that you need to know what your doing.

As for BMWs, Mercades, Audis, and the like, those are high end cars, 10s of thousands more dollars then the Cruze. The Cruze is a cheap little econo box, they are going to make sure it stays cheap. For any amount of money anything is possible. If you want a shop to build you a 2021 Audi RS3 style headlight for your Cruze its possible. Whether its LED, HIDs, or laser with sequential turn signals and RGBW lights all this can be put in there.

If what your looking for is some good headlights an OEM headlight housing from Depo (these are butyl sealed), Morimoto mini H1 bi-zenon, choice of shroud, and HID kit with relay kit. Retrofit all that together and you got a headlight that would be hard to beat. Nothing special, nothing flashy, but will give you great light output with great throw and wide coverage.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts