Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 cruze LTZ with 1.4 turbo VIN 9, 8th digit automatic transmission. I bought an engine I was told was for my luj, I was sent a 1.4 from a 2019 Trax(no turbo connected). Most of what I have read says this will not work in my car, but I also read that if I use my old turbo and intake manifold and use 2011 map sensor it will be fine, then others say that the computer wont let it work. I read that sonic motors are gen1 and can be used then others say no, I don't even know about Trax. I am confused and not sure of anything right now. I just need a running car. I don't want to pull off the intake manifold and hook up the turbo if I need to send this back. Any help from those who know would be GREATLY appreciated! Please help me I'm discouraged!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a 2011 cruze LTZ with 1.4 turbo VIN 9, 8th digit automatic transmission. I bought an engine I was told was for my luj, I was sent a 1.4 from a 2019 Trax(no turbo connected). Most of what I have read says this will not work in my car, but I also read that if I use my old turbo and intake manifold and use 2011 map sensor it will be fine, then others say that the computer wont let it work. I read that sonic motors are gen1 and can be used then others say no, I don't even know about Trax. I am confused and not sure of anything right now. I just need a running car. I don't want to pull off the intake manifold and hook up the turbo if I need to send this back. Any help from those who know would be GREATLY appreciated! Please help me I'm discouraged!
You may have something you can work with. My data shows the LUJ was in the 2011 Cruze. And the LUV was still being used in the 2019 Trax. From what I've read, those 2 motors are very close if not identical.

Someone with more expertise needs to chime in before you start wrenching, but I think it can be made to work.

Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still hoping for help! But I looked more up. The intake manifold, throttle body, cam and crankshaft position sensors, water pump, thermostat, ignition coil, starter, camshaft position solenoid and camshaft gear are all same gm part number. The ECM is different and the 2011 shows 2 map sensors 1 being the same as 2019 but 2019 only shows 1. The oxygen sensors show 1 the same and 1 different. I'm thinking if I'm keeping 2011 ECM then and use those sensors maybe I'm good. Maybe this info will help someone else also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doug! Yes they are almost identical. The engine itself is and that's why I starting to think this may be possible.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
The thermostat is not the same part.

And the motor isn't the same.

You want to install a 190 degree direct injection motor in to a 220 degree multi port injection car.

Won't run.

I'm guessing you need a 2016 or older motor. Same engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so now I'm back to being bummed out! When I looked up part diagrams it showed both having the same intake manifold #25200449 and throttle body # 55565489 and the thermostat it show for both was # 25200455. The bare engine for both shows the same at # 25200026. It shows cam and crank and everything as the same. Please explain a little more, I am going to send this back to them if it will not work. Thanks

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,664 Posts
Ok so now I'm back to being bummed out! When I looked up part diagrams it showed both having the same intake manifold #25200449 and throttle body # 55565489 and the thermostat it show for both was # 25200455. The bare engine for both shows the same at # 25200026. It shows cam and crank and everything as the same. Please explain a little more, I am going to send this back to them if it will not work. Thanks
If you received this from a reputable yard, call them and ask them to recheck the Hollander interchange database for you.

These are the only engine swap links I have found and some are not what you need.

How-To: Engine Swap - 2011 ECO MT to 2014 ECO MT
Cruzen2.0 - Part 1 (Initial Build)
Cruzen2.0 - Part 2 (Gradual Mods, Upgrades, and Repairs)
TRIFECTA: The 2.0L Turbo 300HP Cruze

LUJ/LUV engine swap compatibility

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Don't be bummed. Snowwy is assuming you got the direct injected LE2 from the Trax. While in 2016, the Cruze went from the LUV/LUJ to the LE2, the LUV was still available in the Trax in 2019. I think you're OK.

BTW, here's an article about the LUJ vs LUV:

Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Doug! I think you are right. I am gonna keep trying to find out what I can. Everything seems the same, except on the the 2019 where the second map sensor goes on the intake the hole is still there its just empty. Thanks Blasirl thats a good idea.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I can't imagine building 2 different motors. After 2016. And continuing with the money pit problems.

BUT. It appears to have the ecotec motor. Same horsepower rating.

It doesn't say direct injection.

Best bet would be to take the engine numbers off the blocks and ask the dealer.

And if the newer motor runs the same hot thermostat. I'd be looking in to running something cooler. Save yourself the common problems.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Slap your turbo and intake manifold on that 2019 motor, you'll be fine. Snowwy is wrong...he tends to post stuff he has no clue what he's talking about. Trax uses the same motor, just different map sensor. Youll be completely fine using your own sensors and manifold on that engine. Just swap everything from yours onto it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Check the harmonic balancer number of ribs for the belt. I believe some early applications had a 6 rib belt, and others had a 5 rib. I can't remember the details, but I remember reading some applications you had to swap the balancer pulley so that it would play well with your accessories. Assuming your moving all of them and not getting a fully dressed block.

It's hard to believe the 1.4L GEN 1 engine LUV still has applications in the 2020 Sonic as well if I recall. I guess it's an attempt to keep everything the same for old product cars near extinction. I believe there's a formal announcement that the Sonic is dead in 2021. I guess dealers need something to fill the lots while we wait for the new models!

Sold only 10,000 or some models last year. Remember when the Sonic was a big seller?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to give update... This motor has been running GREAT for over a week now. No engine lights, I used the original 2011 wiring, starter, turbo, alternator and air conditioning. I used the 2019 intake manifold and throttle body, one map sensor is the same and took the second map sensor off the 2011 and put it on. The belt ribs were the same. I took the motor out the top because there's obviously plenty of room but I had to really body this thing to get the new one in because the subframe is in the way and makes it a pain. I was just about to drop the frame when I finally got it together. It would be easier with 2 people (but I did it alone) with one working the hoist. The new motor is dated 10/19 and has only 4k miles so I'm loving the way it runs compared to the old motor which had 130k. A mechanic at Chevy told me I would need to have to do a relearn on the computer but so far I have not done that. Thanks Doug, Eddie, Blasirl. Snowwy and Carbon. So you can get a newer low mileage motor for your 2011 Cruze. Hope this helps someone looking at doing this.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
What gets me is redesign the motor for some newer models but keep the same design for other newer models.

The second gen cruze got a redesigned motor while the newer trax is using the same old design.

Makes no sense to use 2 different motors.

Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What gets me is redesign the motor for some newer models but keep the same design for other newer models.

The second gen cruze got a redesigned motor while the newer trax is using the same old design.

Makes no sense to use 2 different motors.

Glad it all worked out.
While at first glance they appear to be related - both motors are turbo 1.4's with the addition of direct injection on the LE2 - they are actually two totally different motors from different families. The bore spacings are even different. So they have little in common.

To me, what is difficult to understand is why GM has so many different 4-banger gassers. There must be 100 different RPO's for them over the past 10-15 years, with several families. The older 1.4 (LUJ/LUV) is part of the Family 0, gen 3, while the LE2 is part of the Small Gas Engine family. There are a couple other families currently in production as well.

One might think that a few motors might be used worldwide, but it seems like there are different motors for each country. Part of that may be due to different emissions standards, but it still seems like some consolidation could be achieved.

As for the Trax, for 2019, from what I read, it could be had with either the older LUV or the newer LE2, as well as the normally aspirated 1.8L 2H0, or the LEZ, yet another 1.4L turbo. There may be still more options outside North America.

[Edit] While it may seem like needless extra options, I wonder if maybe GM was trying to use up the last of their LUV motors by offering it alongside the LE2 in the Trax.

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts