Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing that's what they are called. I saw the one about the AC Condenser Shield and also about the stones chips on the lower edge of the quarter Panel. Read about them on here where someone for GM, guessing service Dept posted the Bulletin and the PI #

I live on a dirt/gravel road and this has me concerned. My 2011 doesn't have that shield installed..and so far, I haven't seen any stone chips. I called my dealership this AM and talked to the Service Manager and not only was he rude, but didn't even want to look into it for me. I saw were people said that their dealership installed the shield for them. He kept telling me that unless GM sent me a recall in the mail, he couldn't even look it up. I asked him, even if I have the bulletin # you can't look it up? And he just kept saying how he could list around 100 bulletin #s for my car and that unless GM sent me something, there was nothing he could do. Finally, I guess just to get me off the phone, he looked up the bulletin # for the AC shield. He sat there not saying anything for a good 6 minutes..then finally told me that the Bulletin says that when a customer comes in complaining about loss of AC or it not cooling properly and they find it to be a busted Condenser, to replace the Condenser THEN and only then, to install that shield.
He said, so these Bulletins are only for once you have something wrong with your car, THEN we can fix it.

If GM knows about rocks flying up and putting holes in people AC condensers, and they even go as far as already having these shields on the 2013...why will they not install them on all the "older" cars to keep from having to replace the condenser?

What puzzles me, is in that AC condenser shield Thread...the one where someone posted the Bulletin for it, someone on there stated that their condenser is fine, but called their dealership and they had him/her bring it in and installed it under warranty. Was this just that dealership being nice to their customer...or are the supposed to fix it if there is a bulletin and the customer asks for it to be done? I just feel like if this is a problem, GM knows it and they even put fixes out for it, why won't they do something about it BEFORE a problem happens...wouldn't that save them more $$ in the long run?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
If I were you I would call GM customer service with your concerns & state you live on a gravel road. I would also complain about the attitude you received when calling your local service department, there is no reason for this, that guy should not be representing Chevy or dealing with the public what so ever.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
+1 on calling GM for an additional reason. This service manager may be reluctant to call GM to get a courtesy warranty repair done. By calling GM yourself you short circuit this process and get GM to tell him to do it as a warranty repair.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So then is it correct that even if GM puts a Bulletin out for something to be fixed, the dealerships won't fix it, kind of like a preventative measure...they'll only do it once something breaks or whatever?

This is our first NEW car...we've never owned one under warranty. Actually, this is like our First GM car. My family and my husbands family has always been a Ford buyer. My husband and I joked the day we bought this car, that my dad will be rolling over in his grave if he finds out we bought a GM. LOL We really love this car though. Matter of fact, hubby even talked this car up so much to his friends, that his one friend went right out and bought him one.

I just hope we don't get a rock thrown up and bust our condenser..After making this car payment/insurance every month, I don't have 700 bucks to buy a new one.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Unfortunately GM normally doesn't do "hidden recalls", which this particular TSB really called for. It's a $17 part retail and takes just a few minutes to install.

·
Registered
348 Posts
totally sucks the way they treated you. my dealer is so so nice to my wife and i and go the extra mile i feel when/if we have problems. if you can try a new dealer i would asap. otherwise i think you could buy the $17 part, although you shouldnt have to i know, and install it yourself or perhaps have a friend help with install if needed. a lot less headaches and piece of mind about your A/C.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Got a pellet gun? lol

On a more serious note, sounds like your dealer sucks. I'd call another dealership and see what they have to say, if they can take care of it for you i'd write a scathing letter to the management of your current dealer. There will be consequences (assuming the ownership is legitimate) for the service manager treating you like that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may just order the part and install it myself...meaning hubby. LOL Question...does the part come with instructions on how to install it? Will we have to take the front off the car to do it?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
About 98% of the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), deal with the obvious, like if a fan fell off, reinstall it, but this time use the specified bolts and torque to proper specifications. But would also specify the correct part numbers and the torque specifications.

A rather small percentage deals with learned defective components. Like the clutch master cylinder on my then new 04 Cavalier, a recall was not issued and was not considered a safety issue. Getting stalled in the middle of nowhere apparently is not a safety issue. But there was a TSB on it specifying the old part number and the new. Was replaced because the car was still under warranty, if it lasted over 36K, I would have to pay for it.

I had to bring this to my dealer's attention.

If looking for a protective shield for the condenser, how about also finding one for the windshield, far more common to have that piece of glass wrecked. How is this for an insurance racket? With 250 bucks comprehensive, the replacement cost is 498 bucks, without insurance, same windshield installed is 157 bucks,plus your rates won't up the next time you renew your policy.

If driving on gravel roads, you are not the problem, that idiot driving at 80 mph from the other way with a beat up old pickup truck with duals on it is.

On other vehicles made my own screens using 1/4" square chicken wire, only the small stuff could get through, others used a screen like on a screen door, angled down, mostly to keep the bugs out of the condenser. Practically all would hit that screen and drop down, only a couple would stick. Plus other areas where air can penetrate the condenser.

Worse spot on the Cruze is in the bumper area with those large unproductive vents, top grill is fake, center grill only has about 50% of its area exposed. That would be bad luck of a stone of just the right size could directly go in the center of one of those holes with enough inertia to damage the condenser.

Haven't done anything with my Cruze yet, still under warranty. Condensers were not much of a problem in the good old R-12 days, were of the tube and fin design with one long heavy tube bent back and forth where refrigerant would flow in series.

With R-134a, had to make a parallel flow type of a thin parallel tubes for better heat transfer. Do a far better job with heat transfer compared to the fin and tube type, but necessary to control pressures with R-134a. One slight disadvantage is a small stone can knock a hole in it.

Replacing the condenser is not enough, compressor should be removed and flushed clean with PAG oil, rest of the system needs to be flush with a special flushing agent, accumulator must be replaced, a powerful vacuum to purge out the system, then the correct amount of R-134a and PAG injected into the system.

If the slightest bit of air is left in, forms an acid with R-134a and will eat away your system from the inside out. Never was a problem with mineral oil and R-12, sure is now.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
GM's Techlink is a good source for finding out about technical bulletins. The one about the A/C condenser shield is from Jul. 2011.

Techlink: Welcome To Techlink!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I'm guessing that's what they are called. I saw the one about the AC Condenser Shield and also about the stones chips on the lower edge of the quarter Panel. Read about them on here where someone for GM, guessing service Dept posted the Bulletin and the PI #

I live on a dirt/gravel road and this has me concerned. My 2011 doesn't have that shield installed..and so far, I haven't seen any stone chips. I called my dealership this AM and talked to the Service Manager and not only was he rude, but didn't even want to look into it for me. I saw were people said that their dealership installed the shield for them. He kept telling me that unless GM sent me a recall in the mail, he couldn't even look it up. I asked him, even if I have the bulletin # you can't look it up? And he just kept saying how he could list around 100 bulletin #s for my car and that unless GM sent me something, there was nothing he could do. Finally, I guess just to get me off the phone, he looked up the bulletin # for the AC shield. He sat there not saying anything for a good 6 minutes..then finally told me that the Bulletin says that when a customer comes in complaining about loss of AC or it not cooling properly and they find it to be a busted Condenser, to replace the Condenser THEN and only then, to install that shield.
He said, so these Bulletins are only for once you have something wrong with your car, THEN we can fix it.

If GM knows about rocks flying up and putting holes in people AC condensers, and they even go as far as already having these shields on the 2013...why will they not install them on all the "older" cars to keep from having to replace the condenser?

What puzzles me, is in that AC condenser shield Thread...the one where someone posted the Bulletin for it, someone on there stated that their condenser is fine, but called their dealership and they had him/her bring it in and installed it under warranty. Was this just that dealership being nice to their customer...or are the supposed to fix it if there is a bulletin and the customer asks for it to be done? I just feel like if this is a problem, GM knows it and they even put fixes out for it, why won't they do something about it BEFORE a problem happens...wouldn't that save them more $$ in the long run?

lilmrsyeti,
I would like to apologize for the experience you had with your service center. I would be happy to look into your concerns for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 12 of 12 Posts