Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I own a Chevrolet Cruze 1.8L 2010 automatic that been giving me problems.
I have spent so much money trying to fix it that I am fed up and have decided to replace the engine entirely. Unfortunately the 1.8L engine seems scarce here is South Africa, they are hard to find.

The 1.6 version power sees relatively plentiful.

My question is: can I directly swop the 1.8l engine for a 1.6l one?

Thanks I advance.

Conant

·
Registered
692 Posts
My guess would be, yes you can do the swap. But no, it would not be a direct swap, you would probably make a lot of changes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is the 1.6L a turbo? If so, you're going to need to do a lot more for swapping an NA to a turbo, including getting an intercooler.

You're probably also going to have to get a computer reprogram.

As a general checklist of items, you may have to get different motor mounts, transmission, replace alternator, wiring harness, fuel system, a/c compressor, etc... I'm not well versed in Cruze engine configurations, but usually going to a completely different engine requires a lot of work as opposed to a direct swap of the same kind.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
The 1.6 NA and 1.8 NA are essentially the same engine except for internal displacement. Shouldn't be too much of an issue fitment wise, but there will be the matter of getting the ECU to run it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
What country are you from? In the US, Cruze is still using an now all aluminum 1.4 L turbo gas engine, 1.6L in the US is a turbo diesel, understand in other countries, do have a 1.6L turbo gas engine.

Ha, back in the 50's and even 60's was real easy to drop in a Chrysler Hemi in a 48 Plymouth coupe or a large Caddy V-8 in a 48 Ford coupe, called them sleepers. Insurance companies didn't give a darn and no such thing as an EPA. Warshawsky had adapter plates and bolt on motor mounts with only about a half a dozen wires to worry about.

But this is history, a complete nightmare today, can't get insurance and the EPA would be jumping all over you.

Whoops, reread your post, South Africa, have no idea about your laws. but the 1.8 is far less complicated then the turbo, so if having problems with the 1.8, will have more with the turbo.

Seen a lot of cars in South America, nothing like here, still using carburetors without all of the electronics we have here. Know zero about South Africa.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
What country are you from? In the US, Cruze is still using an now all aluminum 1.4 L turbo gas engine, 1.6L in the US is a turbo diesel, understand in other countries, do have a 1.6L turbo gas engine.

Ha, back in the 50's and even 60's was real easy to drop in a Chrysler Hemi in a 48 Plymouth coupe or a large Caddy V-8 in a 48 Ford coupe, called them sleepers. Insurance companies didn't give a darn and no such thing as an EPA. Warshawsky had adapter plates and bolt on motor mounts with only about a half a dozen wires to worry about.

But this is history, a complete nightmare today, can't get insurance and the EPA would be jumping all over you.

Whoops, reread your post, South Africa, have no idea about your laws. but the 1.8 is far less complicated then the turbo, so if having problems with the 1.8, will have more with the turbo.

Seen a lot of cars in South America, nothing like here, still using carburetors without all of the electronics we have here. Know zero about South Africa.
There is a 1.6 N/A motor; non turbo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is an old joke on the TDI forums where if anyone asked if it was possible to swap any NA engine for a TDI.

Answer was "Yes!"

1.) Open hood.
2.) Remove NA Radiator Cap and set aside.
3.) Rip out EVERYTHING that has ANYTHING to do with the NA engine, (including the entire engine and transmission)
4.) Replace EVERYTHING you RIPPED out with TDI components.
5.) Replace Radiator Cap from NA engine on to your new TDI radiator.
6.) Close hood.

DONE! :D

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
There is an old joke on the TDI forums where if anyone asked if it was possible to swap any NA engine for a TDI.

Answer was "Yes!"

1.) Open hood.
2.) Remove NA Radiator Cap and set aside.
3.) Rip out EVERYTHING that has ANYTHING to do with the NA engine, (including the entire engine and transmission)
4.) Replace EVERYTHING you RIPPED out with TDI components.
5.) Replace Radiator Cap from NA engine on to your new TDI radiator.
6.) Close hood.

DONE! :D
May want to update this from a radiator to a reservoir cap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 1.6 NA and 1.8 NA are essentially the same engine except for internal displacement. Shouldn't be too much of an issue fitment wise, but there will be the matter of getting the ECU to run it.

Good day,

Turns out I still have the car, parked in the garage somewhere. Lol. What do you mean by ECU? Are you talking about the computer box?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Good day,

Turns out I still have the car, parked in the garage somewhere. Lol. What do you mean by ECU? Are you talking about the computer box?
Yes. Air/fuel would, I imagine, be different between the engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the 1.6L a turbo? If so, you're going to need to do a lot more for swapping an NA to a turbo, including getting an intercooler.

You're probably also going to have to get a computer reprogram.

As a general checklist of items, you may have to get different motor mounts, transmission, replace alternator, wiring harness, fuel system, a/c compressor, etc... I'm not well versed in Cruze engine configurations, but usually going to a completely different engine requires a lot of work as opposed to a direct swap of the same kind.
The 1.6 is the turbo diesel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.