Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to pull trigger on a 2012 1LT Cruz for my wife, Just bought a 2012 Equinox 1LT in January and love it, plus the dealer is great. 4 free oil changes a year for the life of the car, free state inspectin and emission inspection for life and free brakes for the life of the car, only have to pay for labor on the brakes. I really like the Cruz but with all this talk of fires in the engine compartment, I don't know what to do. Has anyone any more info on these fires? I wonder how many other people are holding off on the Cruz. If not the Cruz I will probably go for a Ford Focus, but really don't want to.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Ignore the talk about fires. I reviewed the NHTSA complaint reports a week or so ago and there has been 1 fire reported in the 2012 Cruze and about half a dozen in the 2011 Cruze. Only one of the fires appears to have been "mysterious" in that it occurred with no apparent reason. The rest either don't give enough information or are very shortly after an oil change. To avoid the oil change issue, make sure the oil filter is screwed on properly and any spilled oil has been cleaned up before accepting the car back from an oil change service (or do it yourself). The oil filter is on the top right side of the engine block as you look into the engine compartment from the front.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Do it!
I only know of one cruze catching on fire here and compare that to the number of members.
Not sure what you are paying but all that included sounds like a great deal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was getting ready to pull trigger on a 2012 1LT Cruz for my wife, Just bought a 2012 Equinox 1LT in January and love it, plus the dealer is great. 4 free oil changes a year for the life of the car, free state inspectin and emission inspection for life and free brakes for the life of the car, only have to pay for labor on the brakes. I really like the Cruz but with all this talk of fires in the engine compartment, I don't know what to do. Has anyone any more info on these fires? I wonder how many other people are holding off on the Cruz. If not the Cruz I will probably go for a Ford Focus, but really don't want to.
Definitely do it!. I have a 2010 Equinox and a 2012 Cruze. Both LT1 and trouble free. The only thing that bothers me is the heater/fan and temp controls are reversed from the two vehicles. Always grabbing the wrong knob. LOL Even if I had free oil changes, I would do it myself. Very picky about what goes in the engine. Also, I like to use full synthetic and I'm sure you are not getting that for free. On the other hand, If you get 4 changes a year, doesn't matter much is it's not the best oil in the world. The brakes on the Equinox have over 32000 miles and still around 50% left. The fire report on the Cruze is absolutely not a concern.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
There's been one fire, and the media that hate GM and Chrysler are harping on it continuously. This is another media-induced problem, not a concern. Likely the fire was caused by a sloppy oil change tech, not a genuine problem. I'd buy a Cruze today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With the handling, good economy the looks and its made in USA, its the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Do it I did after 13 VW products.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If concerned about automotive fires, would stay away from any vehicle that has a fuel tank loaded with gasoline, an automatic transmission that carries at least three gallons of very flammable AT fluid, one with hydraulic brakes that carries flammable brake fluid, and one with an engine with an oil pan that carries over a gallon of very flammable oil. Also one with a lead acid battery capable of outputting a very damaging 2,500 amperes of current.

No concerns with a hydraulic power steering flammable fluid in the Cruze, has electrical power steering.

If you find such a vehicle lacking all these flammable fluids make sure you only drive it in areas where no other flammable fluids are present. Can crash into you with painful consequences. Odds of getting injured or killed with an automobile are one in eighty-eight, wish Power Ball odds were that good.

Just saying all automobiles have this potential problem, no sense in isolating it to just one particular vehicle. Good preventative maintenance is a must, but seldom done by anyone. Most wait until its too late.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
If not the Cruz I will probably go for a Ford Focus, but really don't want to.
The Focus has a really snazzy interior I saw one the other day... The exterior looks awful though! LOL. My two cents. Cruze won't disappoint you. Handles great, great gas mileage, and a ton of people compliment mine on its looks!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,330 Posts
I never thought I'd actually buy an American car after owning only foreign cars.

My parents had two Fords, three Chryslers, and a 87 Buick. The Buick was never anything but reliable, but the Fords were less so - in to the dealer multiple times under warranty. And both of the Chryslers (aside from the 88 Cherokee that was bulletproof) were absolute unreliable pieces of junk.

Besides that, we had a BMW, 3 Hondas, and a Saab and Volvo. All great cars.

Yet here I am with a Cruze because it seemed to me to be the best car on the market at the time - and I drove everything in the small and midsize segments in 4-cylinder trim. Im hoping it was a good investment, but I am more impressed with my car just about every time I drive it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure wouldn't want to take a drivers' test in a new Focus and have to parallel park in a tight space, look out the windshield, even as tall as I am, and can only see an empty space. Head restrains on the drivers's and passenger side, not adjustable, are so far forward you head wants to peer down at the floor mats. One salesman said, this is done for your safety, another more honest one said, people remove those.

Now if some guy rear ends you and your head snaps back, breaking it, try and collect an insurance claim if you removed your head restrains. That was enough for me not to buy one. And Ford is always doing crazy things.

Didn't check to see if the new Focus is also using that crazy subframe design, nice for production entire steering suspension, engine and drivetrain is mounted to it. To do any minor work, have to remove all the cables, hoses, recover the AC system, lift the entire body off the subframe to get any access to the engine.

Ford does strange things like on timing marks on timing chains or belts, have to buy specialized tools to align the cam and crank shafts. GM and others use timing marks. Struts use a single bolt U clamp to the yoke, extremely difficult to remove, GM uses too easy to remove bolts. Crazy EGR bypass valve, always leaks vacuum, valve closes to block that vacuum to enable the EGR. But if a tad of carbon keeps that valve open, your exhaust valves burn out. Ford always has been a bit sloppy on interior items, like door handles that end up in your hand. Just a bunch of stuff like this that makes life a bet more miserable for maintenance. Found GM a bit more concerned in these aspects, like not having to drop an engine to change a water pump.

Ford was always my most favorite car, that is until 1948 when Henry Ford the first died. He had tons of common sense his kids never inherited. The had no engineering courses, strictly business and making money. Ford is hiring women engineers now for those ideal touches, like variable height brake and clutch pedals, cute, and nice, but certainly another not really necessary item that can give you major headaches if they freeze up.

Toyota and Honda were great cars in the 80's, but since 1992, far more interested in making money, and they rust out faster than any domestic vehicle. Still have a high resale value based on the 80's, most folks haven't wised up yet. No MSRP on parts, can really get screwed blue depending on which dealer you go to. And those parts do wear out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love my Cruze.. stylish on the outside for a small basic sedan, simple yet practical on the inside. It's also got a great thumpy thumpy stereo system that's priority for me since I'm a music lover with a 120gig Ipod Classic filled to the brim and plugged right into the USB. It also has a really cool wrapped stearing wheel that is tight and responsive. The car really is fun to drive and has a lot of kick. Take it for an overnight test drive and you will convert. Mine was love at first sight.

Oh.. and FYI..we are all financing our new 2011 - 2012 cars and we may have our complaints, gripes & fears but I'ms sure there's personal attchment here. In otherwords, we are biased. Use your judgement on what you think is the best car for you in the situation you are in and what you plan to use it for. Going into a vehicle make/model specific forum and asing people if the car is worth buying is like going to a Valentines Day dance/party and asking somebody if they love their spouce.

Not trying to be negative there. Really JS. Do google searches. Check youtube videos, test drive the thing and get some feedback on your own. Buying a car isn't as stressful as you think! Have some fun with this because it will be your baby after all. Don't be afraid to rape the brain of your sales rep because that's what he/she is there for! Oh, and don't be afraid to turn around and walk out the door if this isn't the vehicle for you. There is no shame in that.

I looked at just about every car in this class, and was almost going to get a Subaru before I sat down in the Cruze. I was like wow.. this is pretty sweet.

Oh and I'm pretty sure if you go into any forum like this you will see threads about this happening and that.. "I dont like how this or that feels" "hearing a funny noise" "not sure what this is?" That is what these forums are all about so don't judge it based on what you read here. Every review I have read (including AOL & Edmunds) has stated that this car is comparable to every major car in its class and that GM has finaly stepped up and put out a really good sedan since they killed the Cobalt. Absolutely consider this car.

Oh and people will ALWAYS give a general response.. buy a Honda or Toyota. Ignore them because that's just as biased as this forum.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Don't be afraid to rape the brain of your salesguy because that's what he/she is there for! Oh, and don't be afraid to turn around and walk out the door if this isn't the vehicle for you. There is no shame in that.
Also don't be afraid to walk out if you don't get the price/payment you want. It's amazing how fast dealerships will come down on pricing/payment if they are desperate.

I second that the Cruze is a fabulous car - bought two of them.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Jackiek,
I understand that reading this forum may be unsettling. The forum is a place for people to discuss their concerns and get opinions. In my experience, this can often result in making a vehicle look like it has more concerns than it actually might. I would suggest that you speak with your dealership as well as the service department about the Cruze. Also make sure you are working with someone that you feel comfortable with, I believe that is very important. When you purchase a new Chevrolet vehicle it comes with a 3yr/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty. It covers the vehicle from bumper to bumper on any vehicle defect related to materials or workmanship. Original tires are covered but prorated after 12,000 miles during the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty. The Powertrain Limited Warranty is 100,000 miles or 5-years, whichever comes first. It is fully transferable and there are no fees and no deductibles. In addition, the Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation programs are also 100,000 miles or 5-years (whichever comes first). GM will stand behind their products and will correct any issues related to defect or workmanship within the warranty period. Ford’s Powertrain warranty as well as the Road Side Assistance is only good for 5yrs/60,000 miles. In my opinion, as many others would agree, the Chevrolet Cruze is a great vehicle! It is fun to drive, safe, and great on fuel economy. If you have any other questions or would like any other assistance throughout your purchasing process please feel free to contact me; I would be happy to help you in any way that I can.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Haha me too...
If Chevy gives me a 3000 buck bonus on my GM Card, a thousand bucks each for three other GM vehicles I own for a loyalty, and a 5000 buck rebate. Will buy a second Cruze too.

Not joking on this, they already did that for my brand new 2004 Cavalier sport coupe, after all rebates, loyalty, and GM card bonuses, paid $7,300 cash for that car. No trade ins Maybe that only happens once in a lifetime.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts