Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got a 2011 Cruze Last Month, not satisfied with its Sound I thought to upgrade the speakers but then I saw the trunk oval pre-cut 6x9 holes. so went ahead with JBL Speakers. But not satisfied still. Its quite better, but installer disabled the rear seat door speakers, he said that if we will run 6 speakers at a time, 2 front door, 2 rear door and 2 Trunk speakers, some sensor will shut the system and will not play.

Is it true?

Can I run all the six speakers? If so, can we install an AMP from speakers' wires? which can power the rear JBL speakers?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You shouldn't run two speakers off of one channel off the stock radio. In order to run them correctly you need to wire them so that you do not exceed the ohm rating of the stereo. However by doing this it will sacrifice a lot of power going to the speakers. I wouldn't do it. Install an amp and then consider running the four back speakers if that is what you want to achieve. In my opinion it is pointless. I would be using the 6x9's in the rear only for bass and then install better speakers up front. Get a component set and replace the tweeter up front. You want your mid's and high's to come from the front not from behind you for the best sound. Think of an orchestra. You wouldn't sit with your back to it. You want the sound to come from in front of you. Bass isn't overly directional which is why you can use the 6x9's for bass. Many installers will actually cut the wire for the tweeter on a 6x9 in the rear for this reason. Get a good component set of speakers up front and leave the 6x9's for bass only.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, from what I can understand. I need to replace FRONT DOOR speakers with components. And Keep the 6 x 9 in the TRUNK.

BUT the thing is, I asked my installer to get the components in front doors, he said, it requires an amp and there is no provision from where we can take output from System. I asked him that then install Compos in Rear, same reason, no provision for amp. Then I settled for JBL 6 x 9 in the trunk, which are without any amplifier, reason is same, no provsion for it and they are wired to the Rear Door OEM Speakers. He cut the connection to the rear door speakers and connected 6 x 9's to it.

NOw, only 4 speakers are working, front door, rear trunk only.

What I want is, keep the Rear Door Speakers intact, working as they are supposed to, installing an amp to power the rear 6 x 9's. BUT How to tell installer the wiring? How he should wire an amp?

I asked him if he can take out the connection from the speakers itself, but he said it can; be done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok, from what I can understand. I need to replace FRONT DOOR speakers with components. And Keep the 6 x 9 in the TRUNK.

BUT the thing is, I asked my installer to get the components in front doors, he said, it requires an amp and there is no provision from where we can take output from System. I asked him that then install Compos in Rear, same reason, no provision for amp. Then I settled for JBL 6 x 9 in the trunk, which are without any amplifier, reason is same, no provsion for it and they are wired to the Rear Door OEM Speakers. He cut the connection to the rear door speakers and connected 6 x 9's to it.

NOw, only 4 speakers are working, front door, rear trunk only.

What I want is, keep the Rear Door Speakers intact, working as they are supposed to, installing an amp to power the rear 6 x 9's. BUT How to tell installer the wiring? How he should wire an amp?

I asked him if he can take out the connection from the speakers itself, but he said it can; be done.

You would need to line out converter in order to turn your speaker wire outputs into rca wires for the amp.

As for the component speakers... you do not need an amp to install component speakers. In fact the cruze already has them. The tweeter is in the pillar, and the mid range driver is in the door. You would simply be replacing these and running your own wiring.

I understand that you are trying to gain the use of the rear door speakers. But I don't think they are really important given you have the 6x9's. Whats the point of flooding the back seat with sound. You will only have to compensate the fade back to the front of the car in order to keep the sound coming from the front. This is the reason why home theatre systems generally have the main voices/sounds coming from the front, and only the surround sounds come from the sides and the rear. A car stereo is only in stereo mode. ie. left and right. It does not have front and back sounds like a home theatre does. So if you put 4 speakers in the back and only the two up front all your sound will sound like it is coming from the rear. You will then be turning the fade towards the front to fix it. Leave the bass for the 6x9's, a good set of component speakers up front, power all four by an amplifier and you have a nice sounding system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts