Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of the more comprehensive reviews so far. Here is an excerpt on some of the gas mileage results they recorded:

On the 292 miles south we just stayed with traffic, much of it at 70–80 mph, and our average with a few stops, including the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana, was an indicated 44.9 mpg. Heading back to Detroit on the freeway,...During the first 40-mile stretch at a boring 55 mph, we saw a Prius-like 58.4 mpg, followed by another 30 miles at 65 mph for a still-impressive 53.9 mpg, and a more satisfying 20 miles at 75 mph and 43.4 mpg. A 30-mile off-freeways-through-towns stretch brought 43.1 mpg.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

Also, I'd forgotten there is no spare with the car. But since i pay for On-Star now, it doesn't matter as much. I just push the button and someone will come and deal with the tire.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
That's definitely impressive...considering that engine is 2 liters, an automatic and NOT a CVT (usually don't get super high MPG numbers), and automotive journalists tend to romp on the pedal quite a bit.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
I wish the diesel would have been available in 2011. Impressive numbers from such a small engine and a heavy car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish the diesel would have been available in 2011. Impressive numbers from such a small engine and a heavy car.
I'm trying to imagine what kind of mpg they could get with a slightly smaller version of this engine in a Sonic. And the car would be able to get out of its own way, too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Also, I'd forgotten there is no spare with the car.
Only time I can think of needing a spare in the last 10yrs is when I blew out a side wall, on my trailer--with bias ply tires.
Even with a spare on long trips I take a 12v air compressor and tire plug/tools.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only time I can think of needing a spare in the last 10yrs is when I blew out a side wall, on my trailer--with bias ply tires.
Even with a spare on long trips I take a 12v air compressor and tire plug/tools.
Last time I "needed a spare" I actually needed two. I hit a chunk of metal and concrete that was on the freeway at 70 mph and blew out both tires on the driver's side of the car. Had to call for a flatbed.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Now, just imagine what would be possible with the (a) smaller 1.7L turbo diesel, (b) in an Eco weighted (~3,000 lb) chassis, with (c) a 6-speed manual transmission!

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
Now, just imagine what would be possible with the (a) smaller 1.7L turbo diesel, (b) in an Eco weighted (~3,000 lb) chassis, with (c) a 6-speed manual transmission!
YUP. They are losing quite a bit of sales because they won't offer the M6

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
594 Posts
YUP. They are losing quite a bit of sales because they won't offer the M6
GM does not think so, just ask them!

I heard once that the Cobalt coupe was selling at a 20% take rate but that is not enough to bring out a Cruze coupe either.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I think they eventually will. Just think for a second if they brought out both transmissions at once there would only be free advertising once(road test, magazine and new paper reviews, ect). Now when a year later they release the ECO-D manual everyone will be talking cruze again.

If one compares eco manual with eco automatic hwy MPG numbers there is a 3MPG difference. Now if the Diesel manual got 3MPG better than the diesel automatic that would put the car at 49MPG hwy rating. Imagine now if they did a bit more engineering they might be able to squeeze that up to a 50MPG rating, yet another reason they might be holding off.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
They brought out the manual in LT Cruze trims a year later.

Maybe they're waiting for an even more aerodynamic Cruze to hit that 50+ EPA MPG rating with a MT diesel. Now that would be something worth spending extra for - and probably pretty fun to drive like a TDI Golf is.

The current Cruze is an old (2008-ish) platform. There's a lot more that could be done to hit high MPG numbers by significantly changing the car. Hopefully it's not as ugly as some of the spy photos.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Being able to advertise 50 MPG on the highway would be a coup. The only other car on the market that even approaches that is the Prius (original styles) with it's 51 MPG rating.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
If they bring out the diesel in a mt I will be buying one hopefully before the next lordstown meet then we would see what her mpgs really are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: spacedout
1 - 15 of 15 Posts