Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this issue yet?

Yesterday visiting my family farm 60miles away which is miles from anyone I left my keys in the cup holder. Several times during the day I went to the trunk to get several things, no issues and never opened the driver compartment. But before supper I put my coveralls in the trunk and when I came back down to leave a 6pm my doors were locked. I called GM roadside service, but they couldn't find someone closer than 2hr, so I call my closest body shop in town. It took him almost 30min to get the handle to pull. It has done this one time earlier once when I started my car to warm it up, but I was lucky to have my extra set in the house. For years I left my keys under my seat, but thanks GM for putting doubt in my confidence to rely on your product.

So do you think I have a battery going bad in my flob or engine battery (I'm at 75k)? Or is the cold weather to play?

Also, do you know if GM Roadside will reimburse me for the unlock? At one point the GM assistant said he could call me in the morning for more results - what was he smoking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why does GM have this option? What do they think we are now too lazy to lock our car? It's funny because it sat for atleast 8 hr unlocked and decided lock on the 9th hr. Also, why did it decide to lock me out the other time within moments of starting the car, but not moving it?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
Your windows weren't down by chance, were they? I can't recall which car I had that did this, but if the windows were left down, one of them would lock the doors and set the alarm system.

I also had an older Toyota that had an automatic timer that would lock the doors if none of them were opened for ~15 minutes. I think that's what the Cruze is doing as well. Locked my keys in that one a couple times.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Why would you leave your keys in an unlocked car? I don't know if mine does that because I always keep my keys with me even in an isolated safe place.

Reactions: grs1961

·
17,598 Posts
If you're going to leave the key in the car in an area where you know it won't be stolen (I have spent time in areas where people can do this)...my advice would be to leave it in the ignition.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
If you're going to leave the key in the car in an area where you know it won't be stolen (I have spent time in areas where people can do this)...my advice would be to leave it in the ignition.
I guess there is not many places left where you can do this so habit makes me take my keys and lock the car anyway.

Reactions: Starks8

·
10,711 Posts
Where I work at you can leave the car running while you run in for a 6 pack, also parts of NJ where I was stationed you can do the same but I still don't. When I work on the car my keys go on the cowl by the wipers if I don't feel like rolling the drivers window down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was 35degrees so the windows were rolled up, it just seams to be another instance of the GMs nanny tech that is not needed to automatically lock your doors without you doing so. I always say, locks are a deturant, they are not meant to completely protect your goods. If someone wants to get in they will locks or not. They just make it more difficult to get in.

I lived on a farm my who life, why should I lock my car if it's left alone miles from the nearest town. I don't think I've ever locked our shop when we're close. If anyone wants to steal something, come and try first if my dogs don't scare you away maybe my NRA conceal sticker will. It's easy to know who's trespassing as you can see them coming from about a 1/2 mile. This is how I've grown up leaving the keys available for my family to us it without issues.

So say it happen like the other day when it locked me out while running. If I had my 7month in the car and I get out and doors lock how happy would you be? I'm sure most of us have gotten out of your car while it was running.

Also, if you leave your keys in your ignition you can't open any other door besides your drivers door.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
This a how to story about how not to get locked out of yer cruzen ?

·
17,598 Posts
So say it happen like the other day when it locked me out while running. If I had my 7month in the car and I get out and doors lock how happy would you be? I'm sure most of us have gotten out of your car while it was running.
I missed that part.

Neither that setting on the car settings nor the remote would cause it to lock while running, and I think even jamming the lock button down on the door would still make it pop back up if the door is open.

Random question - have you ever seen the speedometer ever fly up when the car is stopped? There were a couple issues with 2012 Cruzes doing that, mine included - said I was going 120 MPH backing out of a parking space at 4 MPH, and locked the doors instantly instead of ~10 MPH like it normally does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't had any electrical issues lately. The only thing I thought is that the key flob battery's are weak and it defaults locking the doors. Yah, when it locked me out while running, the buttons wouldnt unlock it with the other key, I had to use the key blade to open the door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It locked me out again over a week ago, lucky I had my keys with me. Talked to the dealer and they've never heard of it doing that to others. I'm losing trust in GMs electrical grimlins, my G8 has the same issues with its door locks.

One question: I had to have a local tow truck driver unlock it (GM roadside said it was two hours to get there) they sent me a bill. Should I contact GM roadside division to get rembursed? Some placed I read were they will pay up to $100.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
If you try to lock the doors with the car running(lock button on fob or center stack), the lock will initially go, then unlock in rapid succession. When working correctly the only thing that ever causes the doors to automatically lock is when you put the shiftier in gear, as soon you hit park it unlocks.

I had my door lock automatically on the cruze when I left my keys in ignition(car off) & windows down, was only away for 5 minutes. Was a vehicle setting I changed for the locks that stopped this from happening.

On my previous car(2004 cavalier) I got out to grab some food and after pulling the key out half way decided to put it back and just run in quick. I came back out to find my car locked. After I called for a ride to get my spare keys, found that I had not got the key in all the way. Can only assume in this instance I tripped the theft system.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone else had this problem?

It's locked my doors atleast a dozen more times!

Lucky only twice when it was running it was still in my driveway. I really don't trust the electronics in this car anymore. I now leave a door cracked when starting it, other times it's locked it's self overnight, other times its happen when I have my drivers door open and put the key in the ignition, its also done it if you open more than one door at a time.

Any more times it's going on the chopping block and rid myself before more electric grimlins start.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Has anyone else had this problem?

It's locked my doors atleast a dozen more times!

Lucky only twice when it was running it was still in my driveway. I really don't trust the electronics in this car anymore. I now leave a door cracked when starting it, other times it's locked it's self overnight, other times its happen when I have my drivers door open and put the key in the ignition, its also done it if you open more than one door at a time.

Any more times it's going on the chopping block and rid myself before more electric grimlins start.
Hey there,

Have you considered bringing this to the attention of your dealership? If not, I would be happy to bring this to their attention for you. Please feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
660 Posts
Stop leaving your keys in your car? I mean if it's happened a dozen times as you say. Wouldn't that make you think to stop leaving them in there.....I'm not a genius but c'mon. Also leaving your keys under your seat and car unlocked? Why....just carry them with you. Who doesn't carry their keys with them? Sorry but this isn't 1950, things are different.

Try replacing the battery? The FOB itself? Use the OnStar Remote App? Plenty of things you could try. I see this keeps happening to you, however you're not trying to do anything to remedy the issue. Sorry for being rude, but complaining repeatedly about an issue won't resolve it..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a M6 owner you would think to understand that when its 10 degrees outside, we weren't blessed with remote start. And Yes, this isn't the 1950s, but % vs % of stollen cars has only increases minutely in the last 64years in most locations in the Midwest, especially at 5:30am at the end of a culdisack in the burbs. Next how many times have you started your car and went back for something in the trunk? If you say you always pull your keys your just being hypocritical.

It happened again to my wife when she unlocked it at the store tonight, locked repeadly and then the alarm went off. Talked to dealership last week they haven't heard of it doing this. Also, I hate not to have an idea of what's happening because electrical grimlins are the most expensive type. Because no one checks that stuff anymore, mechanics don't repair they just replace til it gets fixed. That could be expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
As a M6 owner you would think to understand that when its 10 degrees outside, we weren't blessed with remote start. And Yes, this isn't the 1950s, but % vs % of stollen cars has only increases minutely in the last 64years in most locations in the Midwest, especially at 5:30am at the end of a culdisack in the burbs. Next how many times have you started your car and went back for something in the trunk? If you say you always pull your keys your just being hypocritical.

It happened again to my wife when she unlocked it at the store tonight, locked repeadly and then the alarm went off. Talked to dealership last week they haven't heard of it doing this. Also, I hate not to have an idea of what's happening because electrical grimlins are the most expensive type. Because no one checks that stuff anymore, mechanics don't repair they just replace til it gets fixed. That could be expensive.
I'm late to the party here so bear with me.....you mentioned the alarm went off.

Yes I know the car has a basic alarm but do you have an additional, dealer installed unit that uses a different key fob.

Dumb Q, but we/I gotta start somewhere.

Rob

1 - 20 of 41 Posts