Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this issue yet?

Yesterday visiting my family farm 60miles away which is miles from anyone I left my keys in the cup holder. Several times during the day I went to the trunk to get several things, no issues and never opened the driver compartment. But before supper I put my coveralls in the trunk and when I came back down to leave a 6pm my doors were locked. I called GM roadside service, but they couldn't find someone closer than 2hr, so I call my closest body shop in town. It took him almost 30min to get the handle to pull. It has done this one time earlier once when I started my car to warm it up, but I was lucky to have my extra set in the house. For years I left my keys under my seat, but thanks GM for putting doubt in my confidence to rely on your product.

So do you think I have a battery going bad in my flob or engine battery (I'm at 75k)? Or is the cold weather to play?

Also, do you know if GM Roadside will reimburse me for the unlock? At one point the GM assistant said he could call me in the morning for more results - what was he smoking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why does GM have this option? What do they think we are now too lazy to lock our car? It's funny because it sat for atleast 8 hr unlocked and decided lock on the 9th hr. Also, why did it decide to lock me out the other time within moments of starting the car, but not moving it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was 35degrees so the windows were rolled up, it just seams to be another instance of the GMs nanny tech that is not needed to automatically lock your doors without you doing so. I always say, locks are a deturant, they are not meant to completely protect your goods. If someone wants to get in they will locks or not. They just make it more difficult to get in.

I lived on a farm my who life, why should I lock my car if it's left alone miles from the nearest town. I don't think I've ever locked our shop when we're close. If anyone wants to steal something, come and try first if my dogs don't scare you away maybe my NRA conceal sticker will. It's easy to know who's trespassing as you can see them coming from about a 1/2 mile. This is how I've grown up leaving the keys available for my family to us it without issues.

So say it happen like the other day when it locked me out while running. If I had my 7month in the car and I get out and doors lock how happy would you be? I'm sure most of us have gotten out of your car while it was running.

Also, if you leave your keys in your ignition you can't open any other door besides your drivers door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't had any electrical issues lately. The only thing I thought is that the key flob battery's are weak and it defaults locking the doors. Yah, when it locked me out while running, the buttons wouldnt unlock it with the other key, I had to use the key blade to open the door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It locked me out again over a week ago, lucky I had my keys with me. Talked to the dealer and they've never heard of it doing that to others. I'm losing trust in GMs electrical grimlins, my G8 has the same issues with its door locks.

One question: I had to have a local tow truck driver unlock it (GM roadside said it was two hours to get there) they sent me a bill. Should I contact GM roadside division to get rembursed? Some placed I read were they will pay up to $100.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone else had this problem?

It's locked my doors atleast a dozen more times!

Lucky only twice when it was running it was still in my driveway. I really don't trust the electronics in this car anymore. I now leave a door cracked when starting it, other times it's locked it's self overnight, other times its happen when I have my drivers door open and put the key in the ignition, its also done it if you open more than one door at a time.

Any more times it's going on the chopping block and rid myself before more electric grimlins start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a M6 owner you would think to understand that when its 10 degrees outside, we weren't blessed with remote start. And Yes, this isn't the 1950s, but % vs % of stollen cars has only increases minutely in the last 64years in most locations in the Midwest, especially at 5:30am at the end of a culdisack in the burbs. Next how many times have you started your car and went back for something in the trunk? If you say you always pull your keys your just being hypocritical.

It happened again to my wife when she unlocked it at the store tonight, locked repeadly and then the alarm went off. Talked to dealership last week they haven't heard of it doing this. Also, I hate not to have an idea of what's happening because electrical grimlins are the most expensive type. Because no one checks that stuff anymore, mechanics don't repair they just replace til it gets fixed. That could be expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm late to the party here so bear with me.....you mentioned the alarm went off.

Yes I know the car has a basic alarm but do you have an additional, dealer installed unit that uses a different key fob.

Dumb Q, but we/I gotta start somewhere.

Rob
No additional alarm, just the normal GM door opens while locked horn beeps, similar to the panic button pushed. i wonder if there is a central locking celiniod that might be going bad that won't stay open, basically telling the car it's still locked after it's been unlocked. Like I said messing with today's electronics is one of he toughest things (I work for the state as a mechanic/maintaince).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Everything is still stock, auto lock is off (checks next day after first issue). Asked service adviser if low batteries could do it and he said no. So I might see about unhooking the battery for a few hrs, that may reset/default auto settings. This sometime helpes when the tcm on my G8 needed to be relearned or wipping thrown engine codes. I can check out the amps pulling from the battery to see if I have full power, but I think it's still good. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues. I did read other cases about locked doors, but no one has had any feedback on their result on those pages yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Issue Fixed: Pulled the drivers door apart and replaced the door actuator. The new door actuator took about an hour to replace, it wasn't too hard to replace just getting the lock out of the pocket was the hardest part and only broke one door clip(not seen once back together). It seams to fix the automatic locking issue, at $49 dollars that was a pretty cheap fix. GM wanted $52 for a blank key (uncut) as a hideaway key and I'm sure they would of charged $250+ fix it. GM might have had some issues with the previous actuator because the new oem one that is used on several other GM models had a much larger circuit board than the previous factory installed one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think he was talking about the lazer cut blank, the whole key flob cut would be several hundred dollars where as a straight blank would be some where between $50. You'd have to check to see if any other flobs would work, but I think all GM blanks are the same.

Reactions: Merc6 and Cruzator
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.