Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm late to the party here so bear with me.....you mentioned the alarm went off.

Yes I know the car has a basic alarm but do you have an additional, dealer installed unit that uses a different key fob.

Dumb Q, but we/I gotta start somewhere.

Rob
No additional alarm, just the normal GM door opens while locked horn beeps, similar to the panic button pushed. i wonder if there is a central locking celiniod that might be going bad that won't stay open, basically telling the car it's still locked after it's been unlocked. Like I said messing with today's electronics is one of he toughest things (I work for the state as a mechanic/maintaince).

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
No additional alarm, just the normal GM door opens while locked horn beeps, similar to the panic button pushed. i wonder if there is a central locking celiniod that might be going bad that won't stay open, basically telling the car it's still locked after it's been unlocked. Like I said messing with today's electronics is one of he toughest things (I work for the state as a mechanic/maintaince).
OK....YEP, this is part of the reason my hair has turned white.

Do you have any modifications......different radio....anything......also, do you have a reporting device such as the thing Progressive Insurance or Allstate or State Farm provide to reduce your insurance expense?
These are plugged into the ALDL connector below the dash and are well known for creating strange gremlins.

Finally, what are your personnalization settings regarding door locking and what settings are available on the 6m?

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Everything is still stock, auto lock is off (checks next day after first issue). Asked service adviser if low batteries could do it and he said no. So I might see about unhooking the battery for a few hrs, that may reset/default auto settings. This sometime helpes when the tcm on my G8 needed to be relearned or wipping thrown engine codes. I can check out the amps pulling from the battery to see if I have full power, but I think it's still good. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues. I did read other cases about locked doors, but no one has had any feedback on their result on those pages yet.

·
10,712 Posts
I thought a n00b bumped this thread, had no clue you still having the same issues. get a Camaro Key cut and toss it in the bushes in a fake rock or sprinkler head key hide away as a temp fix. I usually have my window cracked if I leave it running so I can reach in. I also have OnStar active but the app at times will stop working, the Card with number is in my wallet.

As for alarm going off, did she lock with fob and open with key to door handle?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Why don't you try with the small things? Like replacing key FOB batteries, possibly the entire FOB. Check your battery, bad/low batteries can cause the craziest issues with electronics. Gotta start somewhere.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I got to thinking is it possible your keyfob is bad, like the lock button is making contact when it shouldn't? I mention this because after about 2 years of having my cruze it started to tute the horn with one button press, like I pressed it twice. I soon disabled the horn sound but only explanation of this new behavior seems to be the button on the keyfob isn't letting up like it should.

I HATE the keyfob on this car as the buttons are way to easy to bump and have no feedback that you have actually pressed them, heck even the one for my 04 cavalier was better quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Issue Fixed: Pulled the drivers door apart and replaced the door actuator. The new door actuator took about an hour to replace, it wasn't too hard to replace just getting the lock out of the pocket was the hardest part and only broke one door clip(not seen once back together). It seams to fix the automatic locking issue, at $49 dollars that was a pretty cheap fix. GM wanted $52 for a blank key (uncut) as a hideaway key and I'm sure they would of charged $250+ fix it. GM might have had some issues with the previous actuator because the new oem one that is used on several other GM models had a much larger circuit board than the previous factory installed one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thought a n00b bumped this thread, had no clue you still having the same issues. get a Camaro Key cut and toss it in the bushes in a fake rock or sprinkler head key hide away as a temp fix. I usually have my window cracked if I leave it running so I can reach in. I also have OnStar active but the app at times will stop working, the Card with number is in my wallet.

As for alarm going off, did she lock with fob and open with key to door handle?
Merc6,

Can the camero key be programmed to start the car (chipped key), or is it only for the door?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think he was talking about the lazer cut blank, the whole key flob cut would be several hundred dollars where as a straight blank would be some where between $50. You'd have to check to see if any other flobs would work, but I think all GM blanks are the same.

Reactions: Merc6 and Cruzator

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,893 Posts
The whole key/remote is in the $40-75 range depending on the dealer.

Hope the replaced actuator does the job for you - weird that it would lock on its own. I suppose anything is possible if it was shorted internally.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good to know about the delay lock setting. I missed that in the manual. I'm going to program my CTD to lock automatically. I have already had my car tossed one time when I accidentally left it open for about an hour in my urban neighborhood yard. Fortunately the thieves could not find the trunk button, thus my laptop was saved.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Good to know about the delay lock setting. I missed that in the manual. I'm going to program my CTD to lock automatically. I have already had my car tossed one time when I accidentally left it open for about an hour in my urban neighborhood yard. Fortunately the thieves could not find the trunk button, thus my laptop was saved.
They didn't know about the folding rear seats either it seems.

Reactions: brian v

·
Registered
421 Posts
They spent a short time looking for the release and opened the glove compartment, console, and fuse box. They also pulled the hood release. I was sitting in my den about 20 feet from the car. I guess they were in such a hurry they didn't think about the seats.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hate to bump this, but better than making a new thread...

Wife called me (as soon as I got to work today) and said the car locked itself while she was warming it up. Once I got home, I got in the car and checked the options to make sure the autolock feature that disables the locks if the key is in the ignition was checked, and it was. Thing is, it only works when the driver's door is open. I tested it with both keys, with the car running, and not. Door open, hit locks, doors lock then unlock. Once you close the door though, they lock and stay locked.

So if you're lost on this (like I am), somehow the door locked after she closed it, while it was running. I know the anti-lock feature works, because I've tested it. I had to come home from work and unlock with the key blade because the fob wouldn't unlock it.

I'll take a look at the option again to make sure I have it set right, but it seems to be working correctly when the door is open. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue, and it seems some people have, but I haven't seen it happen with a running vehicle before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe for the OP? I don't know. Is there a fix for it now?

·
10,712 Posts
Hate to bump this, but better than making a new thread...

Wife called me (as soon as I got to work today) and said the car locked itself while she was warming it up. Once I got home, I got in the car and checked the options to make sure the autolock feature that disables the locks if the key is in the ignition was checked, and it was. Thing is, it only works when the driver's door is open. I tested it with both keys, with the car running, and not. Door open, hit locks, doors lock then unlock. Once you close the door though, they lock and stay locked.

So if you're lost on this (like I am), somehow the door locked after she closed it, while it was running. I know the anti-lock feature works, because I've tested it. I had to come home from work and unlock with the key blade because the fob wouldn't unlock it.

I'll take a look at the option again to make sure I have it set right, but it seems to be working correctly when the door is open. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue, and it seems some people have, but I haven't seen it happen with a running vehicle before.
Seems like a nuance to have that happen and the fobs don't work, You have the delay turned off in my post below? I usually still leave the drivers door cracked if the car is running even with Open Door Anti Lock.

Yeah, do this...

Don't do this...

·
Registered
49 Posts

Just as I thought I said I did. Even if she locked the door accidentally while it was closed, if she opened it with the handle 2x, then it still wouldn't lock again, right?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.