Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Cruze has 35,000 on it and it is 0 F. here in Wisconsin. I've noticed that the engine isn't getting up to operational temperature. Have there been issues with this car having the thermostat stick or anything like that? Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

thanks,
Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
A couple of quick questions:

1) Has anyone touched the cooling system?

2) How long are you driving (not idling) the engine when you observe the low temperature?

3) Are you running the HVAC system fan at speeds three or higher?

4) Have you noticed the radiator fan on?

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The reason for this question is that the Cruze has such a small efficient engine, that it won't come up to temperature if the heater fan speed is too high. This isn't your dad's 409. You're going to have to nurse what little heat it produces.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Last year here in Denver we had a week long period where we were under -20f and I had to let it warm up for quite awhile without the heater being on and once I started driving kept it under 2 on the fan speed in order for it to fully warm up, might want to try that I know Obermd and myself have gone over this conversation quite a few times lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of quick questions:

1) Has anyone touched the cooling system?

2) How long are you driving (not idling) the engine when you observe the low temperature?

4) Have you noticed the radiator fan on?
No to 1 and 4. 15 minutes to 2. And I don't remember as to 3.

There was one time it got over half the way to being in the proper heat range, and then it went backward. That is what made me ask this question. I think I have a problem.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
No to 1 and 4. 15 minutes to 2. And I don't remember as to 3.

There was one time it got over half the way to being in the proper heat range, and then it went backward. That is what made me ask this question. I think I have a problem.
My 2012 ECO MT won't get to full operating temperature at 0F if I have the fan on 3 or 4 unless I'm cruzing on the highway. If I sit at a stop light I can actually watch the digital temperature gauge (the 2011s and early 2012s had a digital readout) drop about 10F per 15-20 seconds when the fan is set as low as 2. This is normal for the car because the engine is so efficient and small.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe it. I wouldn't have believed it without seeing it. It's 2 F here in Green Bay. I drove in 3rd at 30 miles per hour, till I got on the highway and went 70 in 5th. I got it heated up to the proper operating temperature finally. Then I put the heat on wide open on setting 6 and literally watched the temperature gauge go backward very quickly!

Then back in the 30 mph zone I could only keep it in range when i had it on setting 3 of the heat if I kept it in 3rd gear. When I set it on setting two, then I could put it in fourth gear and keep it in the proper heat range.

Wow. This engine is almost a little too efficient! Thanks guys. At least nothings wrong with the thermostat.

From now on, after starting it up in cold weather, I think I will keep the heat on setting one, and drive a gear or two lower than normal till she heats up. I don't like running a car cold too long.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
This cold snap just began, what, three days ago?

I am surprised the forum isn't loaded with 'My car won't heat up' questions..........usually three days generates three pages!

It is supposed to get above 25f this Wednesday.......the car'll start making OK heat again, heh heh.

Rob

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laugh it up. But I guess one doesn't have to worry about this car overheating. Just crank the heat to wide open on a hot summer day and you won't even need a radiator.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This cold snap just began, what, three days ago?

I am surprised the forum isn't loaded with 'My car won't heat up' questions..........usually three days generates three pages!

It is supposed to get above 25f this Wednesday.......the car'll start making OK heat again, heh heh.

Rob
Agreed. Usually by this time of the winter we have half a dozen threads on this. :)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Laugh it up. But I guess one doesn't have to worry about this car overheating. Just crank the heat to wide open on a hot summer day and you won't even need a radiator.
Thus the shutters on the ECO and CTD lower grill. Actually I think the ECOs may have a slight advantage here in the winter - once closed the lower grill will only reopen if needed for engine cooling.

·
2,170 Posts
I have an ultra-gauge to monitor my car temperatures and I've noticed that the gauge next to the gas gauge stops moving and sits in its normal "up to temp" position when my UG says coolant is only at 175F degrees. This takes about 15 minutes of idling/driving the car with no heat. But my car isn't actually done heating up. It takes an additional 15 minutes driving around with no heat to finish warming up to it's final spot 226F degrees before the thermostat responds and it starts cooling back down to stay within the 218F -226F window it normally sits in. The cruze gauge will doesn't move at all between 175F and 226F. And If I turn my heater on fan speed 2 or more when the cruze's gauge says its up to temp (175F), it will take an extremely long time to reach the full 218-226. Especially if I am sitting at a traffic light or using the engine very lightly, it will actually start to cool back down with the heater on above fan position 2.

I've noticed if let the car warm up for about 15 minutes, you can turn the heater fan speed on position 1 and it produces a little heat but the engine continues to gain heat. once you have been driving for more than 30 minutes with the heater at 1 or 0, then your car should be completely up to temperature and you can turn the heat on full blast if you want.

What this car really needs is a standard engine block heater.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My 2012 ECO MT won't get to full operating temperature at 0F if I have the fan on 3 or 4 unless I'm cruzing on the highway. If I sit at a stop light I can actually watch the digital temperature gauge (the 2011s and early 2012s had a digital readout) drop about 10F per 15-20 seconds when the fan is set as low as 2. This is normal for the car because the engine is so efficient and small.
When it is 0 or below this exactly how mine operates. I drive the highway in the morning a little bit to work and the gauge goes to the normal warm mark and then when I get closer to work downtown and sit at stop lights the gauge actually goes a few tics cooler. This realy only when it is extreme cold single digits or below.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My car is doing the same thing. It's just the cold weather. We were seeing single digits in Cincy today. Engine struggled to heat up but finally did so.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The first mile of my daily commute is slightly downhill. I start my car, link up my phone for Bluetooth music, and then start driving. I keep the engine speed as low as I can for the first mile literally shifting to idle all the way to 6th gear.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Just a note on HVAC fan speed: The OP has a 2014, which would have the 6 fan settings as opposed to the older 4 fan settings it seems some commenters have in mind. On the 6-speed fan, setting 3, and even setting 4 in most cases, won't kill the car's ability to warm up. It's 5 and 6 that really suck the heat away from the engine.

I didn't catch anywhere on the thread whether the OP's Cruze is a Diesel or a gas model, but the Diesels can be really tough to get and keep warm, even with the shutters. On days like today, I rarely reach operating temp in less than 15 minutes, and the temp gauge drops at stop lights through the first half hour. I've even pulled into town after two hours on the road, and the temp gauge will still drop two marks while idling in the time it takes me to use the restroom and pick up a Red Bull.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My son has a 2013 ECO MT. Here's the fan speed comparisons

His setting 6 is almost exactly my setting 4. The two setting 3s are also nearly identical. There's a huge gap in the 2011 and 2012 between fan speeds 3 and 4.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

His setting 6 is almost exactly my setting 4. The two setting 3s are also nearly identical. There's a huge gap in the 2011 and 2012 between fan speeds 3 and 4.
We've been really lucky this winter thus far, but anything for me in the Eco over 2 fan speed would cause my car to take forever to heat up. When I was working in DTC I didn't even get half way to warm by the time I got to work which was about a 20 min drive or so.

Reactions: obermd

·
10,712 Posts
Thus the shutters on the ECO and CTD lower grill. Actually I think the ECOs may have a slight advantage here in the winter - once closed the lower grill will only reopen if needed for engine cooling.
Mine usually get packed with ice/snow so opening would be pointless.

Old Pics

After car wash in 70*F garage over night

In 17*F or so outside snow

This one day, 20 minute drive didn't melt the snow on the condenser.

You also have the LTZ with 8 settings, haven't really tried to compare them to the others.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
From now on, after starting it up in cold weather, I think I will keep the heat on setting one, and drive a gear or two lower than normal till she heats up.
I never use above fan speed 2 in the winter and no longer have any issues with the car heating up and maintaining heat. Fan 2 is more than enough to defrost the windows and once I'm above 180F typically set it to floor heat and crack the front windows so nothing fogs up(I have weathertech vent visors). After about 30 minutes I have to turn the blue/red heat knob back to between 1/2 and 3/4 so I don't get cooked out of the car.

Even when the engine is first fully warmed up on fan 2 it can still feel a bit cold in the car for some time, however I would rather deal with a slightly warm car for 10 minutes rather than a car that's cold or constantly cooling off 100% of my drive. Even when around 0F or below my cars engine is fully warmed up on fan 2 with any combination of idling(remote start) or driving within 15 minutes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts